Spending 2 weeks in DC - what can I bring?

Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, West Virginia
theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Spending 2 weeks in DC - what can I bring?

Post by theTastyCat » Wed May 02, 2012 12:32 pm

Hey all - driving to DC to spend two weeks. Hope to meet up with a friend to do some shooting if possible. I know they've got crazy laws but Heller might have changed things. What can I bring with me?

Thanks a lot.

mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Re: Spending 2 weeks in DC - what can I bring?

Post by mbogo » Wed May 02, 2012 1:41 pm

I'd bring a bulletproof vest. :mrgreen:

Can you stay in Delaware instead?

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat » Wed May 02, 2012 1:44 pm

I wish! Sadly it's gotta be DC. Vest added to the packing list.

mbogo
Silent But Deadly

Post by mbogo » Wed May 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I do not believe they have codified any rules, regulations, or laws permitting non-resident carry. If I remember correctly, they still prohibit "assault weapons", too.

If you are certain you will get to shoot, you can ship your guns to your friend via common carrier (assuming he lives in a less repressive locale) and avoid having guns in DC.

mbogo
7 stamps and 1 in jail :mrgreen:

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat » Wed May 02, 2012 2:51 pm

Yeah, sounds right. Would I be OK with a pistol for home defense? Of course transported with ammo separate. I keep a Kel-tec Sub2k in the truck - would that be a no no? Don't suppose I could bring any cans...

700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS » Wed May 02, 2012 2:58 pm

Your answer is...NO! Please do not become our next legal case. :wink:

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan » Wed May 02, 2012 10:43 pm

I suggest finding a place to sleep, shoot, and eat close to but outside of DC... as long as it isn't MD.

NOVA is getting bad but it isn't nearly as bad as inside the beltway.

Are you going to go to the NRA range?

theTastyCat
Senior Silent Operator

Post by theTastyCat » Thu May 03, 2012 12:03 am

Alas, wish I could, fellas - housing is set. Can anybody confirm that I can have either a long gun or pistol for home defense? I recall people used to be able to have at least long guns as long as they were disassembled and locked up - what a load. I assume this has to be different now post-Heller, but don't want to find out the hard way.

What is this NRA range you speak of? Worth a trip?

700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS » Thu May 03, 2012 2:44 pm

You're still determined to push your luck, aren't you?

Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz » Fri May 25, 2012 11:57 pm

smcharchan wrote:I suggest finding a place to sleep, shoot, and eat close to but outside of DC... as long as it isn't MD.
Umm, I live in MD about 15 mins outside DC. I own suppressors, assault rifles, an SBR, etc...... and have never had an issue. I shoot with LEO's all the time and they jump at the chance to try out my collection. MD has an extremely large and friendly NFA community.

Besides CCW laws, there's really nothing different between MD and VA.

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan » Sat May 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Flipz wrote:Besides CCW laws, there's really nothing different between MD and VA.
:lol: I lived in MD for 4 years. There is a heck of a lot more differences than just CCW laws. If you're talking just firearms because that is the subject of this thread, then I hear you.

We've got quite a dense concentration of forum members in NOVA and MD. I've been considering organizing a shoot for some time now... in VA, of course :wink: .

Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint » Sat May 26, 2012 3:55 pm

smcharchan wrote:
Flipz wrote:Besides CCW laws, there's really nothing different between MD and VA.
:lol: I lived in MD for 4 years. There is a heck of a lot more differences than just CCW laws. If you're talking just firearms because that is the subject of this thread, then I hear you.

We've got quite a dense concentration of forum members in NOVA and MD. I've been considering organizing a shoot for some time now... in VA, of course :wink: .
I lived in VA for a number of years and travelled to MD all the time.

There is an EXTREME difference between MD and VA gun laws.

Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz » Sat May 26, 2012 10:26 pm

The main differences between MD and VA gun laws, besides CCW and Open Carry, have more to do with what can be purchased and a waiting period.

MD has a handgun roster, VA does not. Overall it isn't a big deal. To get a new or old manufactured handgun on the list doesn't take a ridiculous amount of work. It does however take time. That said, the majority of handguns are on the list. I've never come across something I wanted that wasn't on the list.

MD has a 7 day waiting period on regulated purchases, VA does not. So for handguns and assault rifles MD residents have to wait 7 days to pick up their purchase while a backround check is done. Not a big deal, more like an annoyance.

MD has a rule of 1 regulated purchase per month, VA does not. This is a joke because all one needs to do is fill out an "MD Designated Collector" application, have it notarized, mail it to the State Police, and wait about 30 days for an automatic acceptance. Once approved there is no limit on purchases per month. It doesn't cost a cent to do, never needs to be renewed, and allows you to buy as many regulated firearms as you want without restriction.

MD has a 20 round mag capacity limit, VA does not. The truth of it is that 20+ round mags are LEGAL to own in MD. They just can't be bought in state, shipped to an MD address, or modified in state. But, since many of us live near VA or PA we can legally buy our 20+ round mags there and bring them back to MD, and its 100% LEGAL.

So, in the end, there really aren't that many huge differences. Mainly the Handgun Roster and 7 day waiting period for regulated firearms. They all still suck though. But things are changing. We just won a huge court battle for CCW. Pending the State's appeal, which they're gonna lose again, CCW will become Shall Issue.