Two New Storm Lake Barrels

Post general gun pictures and videos here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Two New Storm Lake Barrels

Post by Wahnsinn »

Bored of working and my new barrels came in today! Going to give a short story too. I had originally looked at these back in January, got a quote or two, price seemed fine...but I bought an M11/9, so my money was shot for a little bit. Fast forward to this past Friday (06/24), re-quoted from the original guy...then thought to look around the net some more. Found a smokin deal on the two barrels (total for both with thread protectors and link/pin/bushing, plus shipping came out to about $386), beats Storm Lake's prices by a mile, beat out everyone else too that I could find. Bought them from http://www.knivesamerica.com great prices, not bad shipping, no tax since they're based in California. I ordered them Friday afternoon, they shipped them Friday evening, I got them today by FedEx...and of course had to install them right away.

If you're in the market for a Storm Lake barrel, definitely check them out, highly recommend them. They're based in California, but have a distribution center here in Dallas, so depending where you are they'll ship quickly. Just thought I'd mention it since that's why most of us are on this site, threaded barrels with suppressors :D

I don't have my can yet, it'll be held hostage at my dealer's tomorrow for however long it takes to be approved, so for now I've just got the guns to show you.

Top is Springfield XD45 Service Model (normally 4" barrel), bottom is Kimber Classic Custom II full size. Kind of odd looking after just putting them on, so used to the barrels being more flush with the end of the gun. Once I get the can on there though, I don't think I'll notice :lol:
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Re: Two New Storm Lake Barrels

Post by J Krammes »

How did the barrel fit in your Kimber? I am looking for a good threaded barrel and have the same Kimber you have. I was looking at Barsto, but also herd Storm lake was good too. Is it truely drop in? Did you use the origional bushing or get a new one?

Jeremy
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: Two New Storm Lake Barrels

Post by Wahnsinn »

Dropped right in, no problem whatsoever...except getting the damn slide stop back in :lol: That f'ing thing always gives me a problem, from the first time I took that thing apart 10 years ago, had to have the range guy help me put it back together. But that's just me, I'm stupid when it comes to that thing...maybe one of these days I'll figure it out.

I actually called Storm Lake the day I was getting ready to buy these and he recommended that I get the bushing with it (easier if you just get the link/pin while you're at it too). Specifically he said that Kimber bushings sometimes don't work great with the Storm Lake barrels (don't recall the exact reason, binding, too tight, something like that). The ST bushing is a little thicker in the front than the stock Kimber bushing, plus it's stainless like the barrel (instead of black/blued as the stock bushing is).

I took them both out to the range this weekend, both shot very well (same, if not better than before). No issues at all with function/feed/extraction/etc.

If you're in the market for a threaded 1911 barrel, I say go for it! I actually just picked up a Springfield XD9 Service model last week too (matches the XD45 I have :D). Need to pick up a new barrel for it too eventually...then a new piston for the 45Osprey.