Anyone from around Durham, Conn here?

Connecticut, Maine, Massacusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Anyone from around Durham, Conn here?

Post by Hush » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:17 pm

I was thinking of some years back there use to be The Village Gun Shop owned by Dave Griffin, I was wondering if he finally retired and sold the place or just closed it or is still in business?
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.

GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Anyone from around Durham, Conn here?

Post by GoodOlDave » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Hush wrote:I was thinking of some years back there use to be The Village Gun Shop owned by Dave Griffin, I was wondering if he finally retired and sold the place or just closed it or is still in business?

I'm over in Killingworth, right next door, though I don't know the Village gun shop. Where was it?

I used to go up to Teddy's in Higganum, as he has a lot of hard to find stuff you don't see anymore- M1 Garands, Arisakas with intact Mon, broomhandle Mausers, exploding targets, and the like- plus you could get a cup of coffee there and simply chew the fat, but he's long gone too. Methinks all the local gunshops have gone the way of the mom and pop merchants, buried under Walmart and the impersonal "professional" businesses.

Try asking the salesmen up in Hoffmans for a cup of coffee, and see where it gets you. Sigh...

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:31 pm

Oh darn I forget the name of the road, it ran through Durham Meadows.
The shop was set back a little and was in with a lawn mower shop near a junction with a gas station, there might have been a fire house around, it was so long ago and hard to remember.
I liked the little gun shop and he'd give you a square deal, I'd buy Linotype and powder and shot there along with a few guns a year.

Bill R

Post by Bill R » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:29 pm

Check out Conn. Sporting Arms in North Branford.
I have known Arnie for over 30 years and he is a great guy!
Hours:
Tues. & Wed. 10AM - 6Pm
Thurs. & Fri. 10AM - 7PM
Sat. 9AM - 5PM
1-203-484-7474
Full line gunshop...anything you will ever need.
Give him a call.
Bill

GoodOlDave
Senior Silent Operator

Post by GoodOlDave » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:36 pm

Hush wrote:Oh darn I forget the name of the road, it ran through Durham Meadows.
The shop was set back a little and was in with a lawn mower shop near a junction with a gas station, there might have been a fire house around, it was so long ago and hard to remember.
I liked the little gun shop and he'd give you a square deal, I'd buy Linotype and powder and shot there along with a few guns a year.

If you can give me the street address...or even a street name...I can go there and look. I'm not holding my breath that it's still around, as developers have discovered both Durham and Killingworth and they're building it up with New Yorkers.

tsunami33

Post by tsunami33 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:46 pm

I do my shopping at Center Sports of Columbia in Columbia,CT. Nice little family owned business with everything from fishing, archery,and firearms. Heck, I even picked up a black powder cannon there. Real nice folks there, down home friendly. Tell 'em the guy from Fishers Island sent you.

trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:20 pm

i've seen it listed in the yellow pages and searches on my phone for 'gun shop' although i've never been there.

i know up in whitefield nh by littleton there is 'village gun shop' right on the square that i bought my first pistol.
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:40 pm

trey_phish83 wrote:i've seen it listed in the yellow pages and searches on my phone for 'gun shop' although i've never been there.

i know up in whitefield nh by littleton there is 'village gun shop' right on the square that i bought my first pistol.
I did a google search and found the other Village gun shops, apparently this firm has a few or more gun shops scattered throughout New England but has nothing to do with the one in Durham, I don't think I'd be far off the mark to believe he closed his shop and retired to Fla.
Thanks for the help fellas. :)