SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:01 am 
Silent But Deadly

So I'm planning on visiting some friends who work for Cirque sometime in April when they play Portland (yeah yeah I've got some time....). So non-resident CCW is not allowed (unfortunate), and it seems like open carry is fine except for some of the larger cities (unfortunately Portland is included). Obviously I'd like to not leave protection at home but it seems I may be forced to. Any tips or tricks to carrying in Oregon or am I pretty much out of luck? They're put up in apartments so I'll be able to at least have it at "home" but if I read the stuff on opencarry.org correctly, it seems to indicate that it's really the only place I'll be able to have it. Any insights from the northwest?

Also anything else fun to do up there? Aside from kickin' it at Kooza for a bit I'd like to do some other stuff since I've never been to Oregon before. Any good microbrews around? Any info would be appreciated, and any help would go a fair ways to getting a beer on my dime while I'm in town!

BulletFlight for Android
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:37 am 
Silent But Deadly

you could always go up to astoria. beautiful overcast beaches, grey sand. and the water, forget about it, the finest green of alge you will find. lmao.
my wife and i went to see kooza in denver over the summer, if you havent seen it yet, you wont be dissapointed in the show.

Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:59 am 
Elite Member

JohnnyC wrote:
Any good microbrews around?

You could say that. Portland, to many, is known as the Microbrew capital of the America.

Here's a bunch of them: Link

I was born and raised in Oregon, and while most people that aren't from Portland don't like it because of its inherent 'weirdness', if you look past all of the hippies and liberal tards, it's actually a really cool city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:14 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

IIRC, Open carry in P-town, Salem and mabey Eugene, is ok with
NO round in the chamber. This only applys to folks without a CCP.

[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 pm 
Elite Member

Astoria and Sitka Alaska are a lot a like, don't know anything about green algae in the waters never seen it. The oceans are pristine clean and wild, lived in Astoria for 30+ years and still like it. If you come and visit Oregon you should defiantly come and see the coast.
Good luck and have a good trip.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:28 pm 
Silent But Deadly

i was just being a smartass. i lived in astoria for a year and i loved the "small" town feel to it. durign the summer months, the coast is beautiful but the fall and winter its overcast and gloomy. still enjoyed myself there tough and would recomend it to anyone who wants a nice peaceful getaway. seaside was great too.

Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:32 pm 
Silent But Deadly

When I lived in Astoria, we called it "Toria" cause there was no ass there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:50 am 
Silent But Deadly

Abiqua14 wrote:

hahahahhaha. how true. still liked the area though

Silencerco SS Sparrow
Gemtech Outback IID

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:06 pm 
Elite Member

Abiqua14 wrote:

Yeah Astoria is not the place to party and go bar hopping, pretty much a retirement town. Good place to raise a family and enjoy some outdoor activity's, some good restaurants and some good views, hunting, fishing and that's about it. Oh and some good shooting in my own backyard, so what else could a old guy want, works for me.
I LMAO when I read your post, good one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:24 pm 
Silent But Deadly

ek1179 wrote:

Ok, so I've got the beer thing down, the entertainment thing will present itself upon arrival, and for the most part I figure I'll be hanging out at the Cirque tents a lot anyway. Restaurant recommendations for Portland would be nice.

Now, as for carry options, I've seen conflicting reports regarding carrying. What constitutes legal open carry, what constitutes concealed? Obviously my AZ CCW won't satisfy local CCW laws. Can I conceal the pistol empty with mags in a backpack? Can I open carry with mags in a backpack? What about a mag in the gun unchambered? Anybody have the real skinny? I know you guys have a local forum but I'm unable to join as a requirement is actually living there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am 
Elite Member

JohnnyC wrote:
ek1179 wrote:

Ok, so I've got the beer thing down, the entertainment thing will present itself upon arrival, and for the most part I figure I'll be hanging out at the Cirque tents a lot anyway. Restaurant recommendations for Portland would be nice.

Now, as for carry options, I've seen conflicting reports regarding carrying. What constitutes legal open carry, what constitutes concealed? Obviously my AZ CCW won't satisfy local CCW laws. Can I conceal the pistol empty with mags in a backpack? Can I open carry with mags in a backpack? What about a mag in the gun unchambered? Anybody have the real skinny? I know you guys have a local forum but I'm unable to join as a requirement is actually living there.

Hi, you might try and contact (brianb) on this forum. I think he is a LEO in Oregon and should know the answers to your questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:50 am 
Elite Member

Try this:

http://www.oregonfirearms.org/index.html

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:29 pm 
Silent But Deadly

As long as you avoid Elkton, you should have a good time :lol:

OR was one of the most satisfying places I've been shooting. Gorgeous place

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 am 
Silent But Deadly

Cascade Cigar in Portland is a must see if you like cigars. Voodoo doughnuts of course is a given.

-Edmund Kemper

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I'm in Florida for the time being, but I'd be happy to help check this out when I get landed tomorrow.

Off the top of my head, I can't help you. I would've thought reciprocity in some way applies, but maybe not. You might try contacting Roger Loock (Revelation Arms) via phone. He's one of the local gunsmithys (as is mike at TT) - they may have the skinny for you already in hand.

Hey, it's the frickin' left coast... I know, I know.

B

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 4:36 pm 

if you have time get a Utah CCW permit, they are fine for use in Oregon and Utah will allow out of state people to apply for them. Weird I know but I friend of mine a CCW firearms instructor that just got qualified to teach / qaulify people for Utah CCW's even though he's here in Oregon. Local LEO confirmed this when I was doing some finger prints the other day for a new can.

Utah CCW's I guess are the CCW of choice for retired / traveling people as they are allowed in the most states in the US and Utah does not require you to live there to get one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:02 am 

JohnnyC wrote:
So I'm planning on visiting some friends who work for Cirque sometime in April when they play Portland (yeah yeah I've got some time....). So non-resident CCW is not allowed (unfortunate), and it seems like open carry is fine except for some of the larger cities (unfortunately Portland is included). Obviously I'd like to not leave protection at home but it seems I may be forced to. Any tips or tricks to carrying in Oregon or am I pretty much out of luck? They're put up in apartments so I'll be able to at least have it at "home" but if I read the stuff on opencarry.org correctly, it seems to indicate that it's really the only place I'll be able to have it. Any insights from the northwest?

Also anything else fun to do up there? Aside from kickin' it at Kooza for a bit I'd like to do some other stuff since I've never been to Oregon before. Any good microbrews around? Any info would be appreciated, and any help would go a fair ways to getting a beer on my dime while I'm in town!

Yes, there are several microbreweries locally and probably 50 or60 wineries either in town or just out of town within an hour's drive.

As far as the concealed carry goes, Put a firearm into a zippered case, and a loaded magazine in your pocket. That way, the gun is in a case, and there is no ammo with it. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:48 am 
Silent But Deadly

usmcronin wrote:
if you have time get a Utah CCW permit, they are fine for use in Oregon and Utah will allow out of state people to apply for them. Weird I know but I friend of mine a CCW firearms instructor that just got qualified to teach / qaulify people for Utah CCW's even though he's here in Oregon. Local LEO confirmed this when I was doing some finger prints the other day for a new can.

Utah CCW's I guess are the CCW of choice for retired / traveling people as they are allowed in the most states in the US and Utah does not require you to live there to get one.

Utah CCW is NOT accepted in Oregon. Oregon has reciprocity with NO OTHER STATE. The only permit accepted in OREGON is OREGON.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:40 pm 

Eat at the Screen Door on Burnside, there will be a wait, but things move briskly and the food is ridiculously good, get a Reggie and fries at Pine State biscuits... Other than that there're some fantastic food carts