SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:07 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:51 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Anyone have any references on hunting with a silencer in Oregon? I want to take my son squirrel hunting, with a silenced .22 rifle. I have the hunting license. I have read that there are no laws against this in OR, but have not found anything solid.

It's not such a big deal with a .22 rifle, but he is still a little guy. In addition, if I go for deer, I'd really like to have a silenced rifle to kill the muzzle blast. Rifles are ferocious.

Thanks for any info,

Ben

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:27 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

I asked ODFW [[email protected]] last year about this and received this reply:

"At this time there is nothing in the 2005 Oregon Big Game Regulations Booklet that states sound suppressors can not be used."

Personally, I prefer hunting suppressed.

Post subject: hunting ok
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:19 pm 

I called both the OR state police and ODFW both told me suppressed hunting was not banned in OR. The game wardens in OR are part of the state police.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:29 pm 

I'm a little out of date, but for a little while any electronic sight where illegal to use... For a while if it had a battery you could not hunt with it. I'd hope they changed the laws on that. But I'd hate to see someone lose thier rifle & can just cause they have a red dot or what ever electronic scope...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:38 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

Reddots are fine lasers are a no no. Can't project a beam...

SWR Spectre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:31 pm 

Jo Mama wrote:
Reddots are fine lasers are a no no. Can't project a beam...

You sure about that?

I thought it was no battery powered sighting systems at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:34 pm 

Can you say Eotech?

Post subject: Re: hunting ok
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:56 am 
Silent But Deadly

Gabriel wrote:
I called both the OR state police and ODFW both told me suppressed hunting was not banned in OR. The game wardens in OR are part of the state police.

Actually in OR, ODFW field personnel, state police, and some forestry folks are all empowered as game wardens.

GsT

Post subject: Re: hunting ok
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:50 pm 
Silent Operator

GeneT wrote:
Gabriel wrote:

Actually in OR, ODFW field personnel, state police, and some forestry folks are all empowered as game wardens.

GsT

Actually GeneT, ODFW field personnel have NO deputization status- No authority!!! Not even on wildlife areas!!! They can ask you for identification, but you don't have to provide it - not even if you're in the act of committing a crime - only when a deputized LEO is present and asks!

Now ask me how I know this!!!
:x

I should also add State Parks and State Forestry are also deputized and can issue you a ticket and haul you off to jail, but NOT ANYONE from ODFW!!!

SUCKS!!!

Last edited by Scoots on Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:25 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Yes, it is legal to hunt with a sound suppressor, as long as it is legally owned. If you want the ODFW persons name and phone number that told me this, IM me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:30 pm 

usmcronin wrote:
I'm a little out of date, but for a little while any electronic sight where illegal to use... For a while if it had a battery you could not hunt with it. I'd hope they changed the laws on that. But I'd hate to see someone lose thier rifle & can just cause they have a red dot or what ever electronic scope...

Now battery on BOWS. You are fine on a firearm though. Funny since they consider a bow a firearm in Eugene.

BIGFOOT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:32 am 

Ben B. wrote:
Anyone have any references on hunting with a silencer in Oregon? I want to take my son squirrel hunting, with a silenced .22 rifle. I have the hunting license. I have read that there are no laws against this in OR, but have not found anything solid.

It's not such a big deal with a .22 rifle, but he is still a little guy. In addition, if I go for deer, I'd really like to have a silenced rifle to kill the muzzle blast. Rifles are ferocious.

Thanks for any info,

Ben

I just checked the 2014 Oregon big game regulations. I could not find any mention of silencers or suppressors. Most of the pertinent regulations regarding weapons are on pages 27 and 28, but there are a few scattered through the booklet regarding things like caliber requirements and things like that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:24 pm 

Ben[/quote]

I just checked the 2014 Oregon big game regulations. I could not find any mention of silencers or suppressors. Most of the pertinent regulations regarding weapons are on pages 27 and 28, but there are a few scattered through the booklet regarding things like caliber requirements and things like that.
[/quote]

[i]I was just looking this afternoon and also found no mention of Suppressors anywhere. I would like to see something stating one way or the other on this. I'll keep watching this thread to see what info comes up.[/i]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:05 pm 
Silent But Deadly

A few years ago I contacted OFF and asked, and they looked into it and the answer was "No law against it". I called ODFW and asked, they checked and told me "No law against it if it is lawfully owned".

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:24 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I recall reading a thread that discussed "beams" used in night hunting. I don't recall the state however, the law said battery power and night vision was ok, but no beams. Well the kicker was, no beams at all; that included any inferred beams used with the night vision. Talk about catching you in the tail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:43 pm 

Has anyone gotten, received, etc. info on hunting suppressed or using battery powered optics for hunting in Oregon.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:32 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

L1A1Rocker wrote:
I recall reading a thread that discussed "beams" used in night hunting. I don't recall the state however, the law said battery power and night vision was ok, but no beams. Well the kicker was, no beams at all; that included any inferred beams used with the night vision. Talk about catching you in the tail.

Hunting with NV is legal there?