Montana Can Owners!!

Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Montana Can Owners!!

Post by Davo5o » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:36 pm

This is an email I just got from a friend working on this. Please help.

"HB 174 which will allow the use of suppressors in the field, is scheduled for hearing Wednesday morning, February 2. That's tomorrow. The hearing is in the House Judiciary Committee at 8:00 am.

I would appreciate it if every one of you would contact your legislators and urge them to support this bill. It is quite simple and takes very little time. I would love to see all of you in the room supporting this bill Wednesday morning but I realize this is not an option for all of you.

At this time, the only opponents I am hearing of are the Montana Stockgrowers Association. Their argument is centered around their members believing the use of suppressors will hinder their ability to know when somebody is hunting or shooting on their land. I had a long talk with their lobbyist last week. I think I got through to him on some level.

If you know Stockgrower members, you can contact them and explain what cans are, and what it takes to own them legally.

Please forward this note or one of your own to all the shooters and can owners you know. This is a step in the right direction to help decriminalizing suppressors."

Thanks guys!!
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe

psp7
Silent But Deadly

Re: Montana Can Owners!!

Post by psp7 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:44 pm

piggish ranchers :x when I backpacked through Wyoming and Montana on the Continental Divide trail there were cows crapping everywhere in the wildernesses and trampling the springs. Many hunters in America have this dopey belief their enemy is environmentalists, the true enemy are greedy farmers and ranchers who have too much freedom on our public lands. I hope Montana can change this. Oregon may be a land of looney liberal environazis, but we can hunt game with our silencers and dont have cows trampling our public lands as terrible as WY & MT.

Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:39 pm

tag..

I'm interested in the outcome from the perspective of getting the same changed in Alabama. our game-wardens have the same unwarranted fear.

Edited to add: Good Luck!
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights

Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Another update from my friend.

"House Bill 174 passed out of the House Judiciary committee unamended this morning. The vote was 16-4.

The bill now goes to the House floor for debate and two votes. I encourage all of you to again contact your legislator and all the reps from your county as well.

After the floor votes in the House, the bill will be transmitted to the Senate where the process begins all over again.

Thanks to all of you who contacted your legislators and the committee members."
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe

Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:34 pm

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:02 pm

That would be nice. I think he is a little confused about the current bill though.

Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:22 pm

Another email I just got......

"know I keep bugging you all, but you are doing great work! I keep hearing from Legislators who have heard from you.

I just spoke with the bill sponsor, Rep. Krayton Kerns, R. Laurel. He tells me he expects HB 174 to be on the floor tomorrow or Friday. Now is the time to contact all the reps in your county and encourage them to support this bill, unamended, in its current form.

I should have the time today to help you with contact information if you need it.

I believe I have about stopped the opposition to the bill in the House. The Police Protective Association currently has bigger issues and is not working the bill. The Stockgrowers have removed it from their priority list. All that being said, we can't take this bill or the vote for granted.

Thanks for your time folks and please encourage your friends to contact their Legislators also."

Please pass this around and get active!! Thank you all who participate!

psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:59 pm

sweet, I may reconsider a move to the Big Sky country :mrgreen: Git er done, guys :!:

Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:45 pm

"Thanks for all your help!

House Bill 174 passed second reading on the House floor yesterday afternoon with a vote of 72-28. The bill passed its final House vote today 73-27. This is known as the third reading of the bill. There was no debate before the vote today.

After this vote, the bill is transmitted to the Senate where the process will start over again with a committee hearing where we can again testify in favor of the bill. I would love to see more proponents in the room. That being said, I fully understand how life works and many of you just can not make it to Helena. Therefore, I will be asking all of you to contact your Senators and encourage them to support this bill.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to contact your Representatives already. Please forward this email and encourage all our shooting buddies to do the same. "

Let's make sure it takes the next step!!

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:40 pm

This is great. I sent a note to the senate judiciary committee and my senators to help this along.

I would love to get a .30 cal suppressor for big game hunting.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:03 pm

I sent a note to my house Rep Sue Malek who did not vote in favor of this. She clearly did not listen to the testimony.

Thanks, XXXXX. I appreciate your writing.

The testimony on the floor was it would cost about $1000 to purchase a silencer, have it fit to your gun and buy the permits. Poaching is an epidemic in Montana and the poachers run in packs. So some folks get caught, are fined and told they can't hunt and they run with the pack out poaching again, although not carrying guns. Silencers were used in poaching in the Seeley Swan Valley to help elude law enforcement until the poachers were caught after 3 years and hundreds of big game animals killed illegally.

My whole family hunts. We usually eat beef once every couple weeks. Otherwise we live on the deer or elk we hunt. I do not think most Montanans have the money or will to buy a silencer and I don't think it will make hunting safer or more effective, but it will help the poachers who put big money into their efforts.

Some Representatives introduce numerous gun laws every year to try to drive a wedge between voters and other Representatives. The Rs who present these bills have also eliminated Big Sky Rx that helps elderly folks with high costs buy their medications. They have cut Meals on Wheels, medicaid, foster care, k-12 education, higher education, and many other programs. Yesterday they voted to protect health insurance companies with a bill that says the cost of care cannot exceed the amount of premiums paid. I hope you will pay special attention to the legislation that is critical to the future of Montana and its citizens. Your gun rights have been and are protected by current law. Respecfully,

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 2:47 PM, XXXXXXXXXX> wrote:

Representative Malek,

I would like to know your rational for opposing HB174 that allows suppressors for hunting? As a life long Montanan, resident of Missoula for the last 10 years, and avid hunter I feel you have let me down. However, I would like to give you the opportunity to explain why you feel this way.

Sincerely

XXXXXXXXX

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:41 am

HB 174 has been tabled in the Senate Judiciary committee. :(

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:39 am

:(

So, if this doesn't get reconsidered, what are we currently allowed to hunt? I haven't done my research yet. Are non-game animals ok? Gophers?

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:23 pm

The bill is toast for the year. It went down in flames 3 to 9 in commitee.

As I understand it, we can't use suppressors for anything besides target practice. No varmints, coyotes, prairie dogs, gophers, or the like.

Here is the law on it ripped from http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthr ... ber=987227. It is pretty bad..

"87-3-123. Use of silencers or mufflers on firearms forbidden. No person may take into a field or forest or have in his possession while out hunting any device or mechanism devised to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of any firearms, whether such device or mechanism be operated from or attached to any firearm."

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:08 pm

41magsnub wrote: 87-3-123. Use of silencers or mufflers on firearms forbidden. No person may take into a field or forest or have in his possession while out hunting any device or mechanism devised to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of any firearms, whether such device or mechanism be operated from or attached to any firearm.
But, it does say "while out hunting". So does that mean if your just out for a hike, shooting stumps, your good to go?

hmmm, I wish it was more clear

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 pm

I think you missed an "or" in there.

You cannot have a suppressor with you out in the field or while hunting. FWP has a very broad yet not specifically quantified interpretation of "in the field".

psp7
Silent But Deadly

Post by psp7 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:28 am

Once again proving Republicrats are no better than Demicans. Montana and Wyoming are ruled by the piggish ranchers who just told their puppets in the state legislature to give it a thumbs down for the sake of the cattle and farming industry. A rancher is no more an outdoorsman's friend than an urban enviromentalist, but at least the environmentalist actually cares about the land, water and sky. :?

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 pm

It made it out of committee this morning! Currently it is awaiting a 2nd reading in the senate.

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:43 pm

41magsnub wrote:It made it out of committee this morning! Currently it is awaiting a 2nd reading in the senate.
So I'm not so up to date on the process. Does this mean that it still has a chance?

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Yep, it has a vote on the Senate floor this evening.

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:04 pm

41magsnub wrote:Yep, it has a vote on the Senate floor this evening.
:shock:

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:42 am

dan5505
Silent Operator

Post by dan5505 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 pm

(S) 3rd Reading Concurred 27 yes, 23 no
(S) Returned to House with Amendments

Is this a good thing? Does this mean that it passed in the Senate and now needs to pass in the House with the amended version?

Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:16 am

dan5505 wrote:Is this a good thing? Does this mean that it passed in the Senate and now needs to pass in the House with the amended version?
Yes. Then, if it passes the House, it goes to Schweitzer, who seems to be veto'ing just about everything just to be a turd. :roll:

27 yes, 23 no. A lot closer than I thought it was going to be. The NRA has been doing a surprisingly good job at promoting the bill based on the legitimate benefits of silencers.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:48 am

Can anyone really familiar with the legislative process explain exactly WTF just happened?

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/laws11/LAW0203W$ ... TY_ID_SEQ=

Passed the senate with a benign amendment. Went back to the house. The house had a vote to suspend the rules to allow late transmittal that was 61 for and 34 against which failed (huh?).

Is it dead?