SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

My wife and I are talking about moving to Bozeman so she can attend MSU. I'm curious about the attitude of locals and local and state law enforcement to target shooting, evil black rifles, suppressors, etc.

I'm particularly trying to figure out where I can go to shoot. I'd really prefer being able to go out into a wilderness area or state park and shoot versus shooting at a range. I've had a dream for a while about moving somewhere out west and being able to pack up a small rifle and pack, go for a hike out into the boonies, maybe stop and camp, shoot into a hillside at some cans for a while, maybe do some fishing, etc. Having never been to MT is this at all realistic?

I'm also specifically curious about being able to target shoot on public land with a suppressed rifle. I'm a little concerned about the possibility for it to be construed by law enforcement as intent to poach though. Suppressors always seem to carry a strong stigma for that or for being associated with 'assassins.' I've read that hunting with a suppressor is verboten and that having a suppressor while "afield" may actually be the way the law is worded, meaning that you can only shoot suppressed on private property. Anyone know anything specific about this?

Thanks for your time guys.

P.S. Why the hell does Bozeman's official city website have a carbon footprint calculator on it?! What kind of city is Bozeman? Is this reflective of the general populace there or perhaps just the city officials?

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:18 pm 
Silent But Deadly

There is a nice range about 20m west of Bozeman in Logan. It's membership based and costs $40/year and you have to have an NRA membership to join.

http://www.manhattanwildlifeassociation.com/

There is an indoor range at the Gallatin County Fairgrounds that is open during the winter months. You can only shoot non-FMJ bullets that travel less than 1,400 fps.

There's a place up Hyalite canyon that a lot of people shoot at, but I don't like to shoot there. You can't shoot or see very far, so I've never felt that shooting there is very safe.

Other than that, you can shoot on pretty much any National Forest or BLM land. But the whole Gallatin County is pretty well populated, which means it's hard to find a spot to shoot anything besides pistol caliber and rimfire. If you're willing to drive 30-60 miles, wide open BLM land is not hard to find.

Bozeman is a college town, and as such, there are a fair amount of liberals here. But, most of them aren't your run of the mill liberals that you'll find in CA or NY. For example, my neighbor is a straight up granola. Home schools his kids, eats nothing but organic food, is concerned about the environment, etc. But he also raises chickens, goes hunting every year, and loves shooting my EBR's. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:14 pm 
Silent But Deadly

As far as I know, 87.3.123 used to say;
Quote:
87-3-123. Use of silencers or mufflers on firearms forbidden. No person may take into a field or forest or have in his possession while out hunting any device or mechanism devised to silence, muffle, or minimize the report of any firearms, whether such device or mechanism be operated from or attached to any firearm.

Bill 174 repealed that section. http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca/87/3/87-3-123.htm

The current code lists it as repealed. http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/mca_toc/87_3_1.htm

Three months after WA made registered silencer legal to own, I was at a silencer shoot. An NRA Rep asked me what I did to convince WA legislators that suppressed firearms were suitable for hunting. I told him that I emphasized how loud supersonic ammo was and that action noise and high powered subsonic ammo was also loud.

He was a nice person to chat with. I wish I had the opportunity to talk to him for advice when WA bill 1604 was busy dying year after year, but I was never able to get a response from the NRA when I wrote to them for advice.

Ranb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:12 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Thanks guys! This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Do you guys have any experience shooting out in open country? Would it be wise to contact someone like a park ranger or other official with questions on the subject?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:44 am 
Silent Operator

aries14482 wrote:
Thanks guys! This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Do you guys have any experience shooting out in open country? Would it be wise to contact someone like a park ranger or other official with questions on the subject?

Thanks again.

I second everything Blaubart said. That describes Bozeman very well. I have plenty of experience shooting on public land, but most of it is in the more rural parts of Montana. If your looking to get away from people, Bozeman may not be the best place.

You could certainly contact the BLM, Forest Service, or Fish Wildlife and Parks, but there is really no need. You are allowed to shoot on any public land. Just use your best judgement as to whether you should or not. If your shooting on state land, just make sure you have your state lands permit. The best place to shoot near Bozeman is the Logan range.

I was shooting with a bunch of people in the Bridgers once when a forest service officer stopped by. He was polite and just reminded us to pick up our trash when done.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:49 pm 
Silent Operator

Bozeman is a nice town, although the population doesn't represent the rest of Montana in terms of what you consider a typical 'Montanan' to be. MSU is also a great college - I've been going here for two years since my discharge from the Army. People are still very gun friendly, here, despite the emerging long-board hippie thing that's moving in.

I shoot at the Logan Range and nobody has ever given me any crap for my silencers or short barreled rifle. Most just watch me shoot and comment on how quiet it is. The Sheriff here is very NFA friendly - at least, I've never had any issues with getting my forms signed. If you need to get your prints done for any NFA stuff, I recommend doing it at the college police station as opposed to the main station downtown.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:45 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Bozeman is a city, so you'll find all types there from the extreme liberal to the hardcore conservative. Most are in the middle types, and its still Montana so there are a lot of hunters and recreational shooters. I would honestly say that the Manhattan range has a seriously dedicated group of guys and a very good range. I've shot USPSA there quite a bit and they also do IDPA.

http://www.gallatinactionshooters.com/gas/index.php/

You can't actually shoot on any public land, but most places you can. If you want to go into the forest or BLM, get an accurate map that shows private and public lands. Just because it looks green or tan on the map doesn't mean its not private. Personally I prefer shooting at designated ranges so nobody gets ticked off at you.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 pm 

Shoot with your class 3 outdoors wherever . Just no game taking with suppressors. For now.