SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:14 am

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Minnesota, wake up! Most states allow silencer ownership. Stop joining California, York, Jersey, Taxachusetts in suppressing freedom :roll:

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:52 am 
Silent But Deadly

psp7 wrote:
suppressing freedom

Heh heh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:45 am 
Silent But Deadly

Oh, I found silencers are legal in Minnesota if you are a cop or a game warden :roll: So its ok to shoot animals and unruly citizens, but not for law abiding citizens to own silencers, illegal. Hmmm, Hitler would be proud of the prideful scandinavians of the upper Midwest :? .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:33 pm 
Silent Operator

Hey, we Minnesotans are made up of dumb swedes and norwegians :lol: Seriously though, I wish Minnesota wasnt controlled by stinko's like Al Frankowitz and the ghost of Paul Wellstone. I say.....Go back to New York, you seltzer sippers! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:54 pm 

I've actually not found any information at all that Cans are legal in the state of Minnesota, period.
That includes law enforcement personnel. I have an LE acquaintance that tried to receive state permission
from the state for a special LE unit he works for, and was turned DOWN by the AG office. Stated
reason was that Silencers are currently NOT legal for anyone in MN, other than active military personnel
using military owned Cans - and in the course of military operations. That of course falls under
the DOD.

We are literally sunk when it comes to owning Cans in Minnesota, unless we get the legislature to
specifically allow them - or better yet simple allow ALL NFA regulated firearms or weapons. I do
believe the NFA does a well enough job managing these with the $200 they receive for each transfer!

Does anyone know if there is an ACTIVE movement in Minnesota to get this passed? Otherwise I
need to think about moving to South Dakota or Wisconsin - really. I for one would love to own a
Can for long range precision competition! It just makes sense.

Rusty

- Veni, Vedi, Vici

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:08 am 
Silent But Deadly

http://www.armedfemalesofamerica.com/pointblank/report.htm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:23 pm 
Silent But Deadly

psp7 wrote:
Oh, I found silencers are legal in Minnesota if you are a cop or a game warden :roll: .

Not anymore. https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66
Quote:
Subd. 1h.
(b) Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), until July 1, 2011, an enforcement officer, as defined in section 97A.015, subdivision 18, a wildlife area manager, an employee designated under section 84.0835, or a person acting under contract with the commissioner of natural resources, at specific times and locations that are authorized by the commissioner of natural resources may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for wildlife control operations that require stealth.

The DNR is just as hosed as the rest of you little people in MN now. The legislature let the bill that was supposed to delete the July 1, 2011 date in the statute die.

Quote:
Subd. 1h.Silencers; authorized for law enforcement and wildlife control purposes.(a) Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), licensed peace officers may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for tactical emergency response operations. Tactical emergency response operations include execution of high risk search and arrest warrants, incidents of terrorism, hostage rescue, and any other tactical deployments involving high risk circumstances. The chief law enforcement officer of a law enforcement agency that has the need to use silencing devices must establish and enforce a written policy governing the use of the devices.

The police are not allowed unrestricted use of silencers either. It appears that they can not use them for training purposes, but I have been told that they do. Of course the law is not stopping them from using them for anything they want. It did not stop the WA police from using them even though it was a gross misdemeaner for anyone in WA (military included) to use a silencer on a firearm until July 22, 2011.

BC98 and I have an appointment to meet with Senator Wolf to convince her to sponsor a bill to allow the possession of registered silencers. It ill take a big effort from MN gun owners to pass any such bill and so far most of what I have seen in the last two months from MN gun owners is "good job" and "silencers are unsportmanlike". Very few are willing to put their backs into it.

Even if we can get sponsorship for a silencer bill, it will die a quick death in commmittee unless there is grass roots support. This means gun owners who talk face to face (not write) with their representatives. Talking to a Sentor or Rep is easy. Look up their info on the MN government homepage and call the phone number listed. You will most likely get their aide. If you can not get an appointment to talk to them, then ask for a date/time to speak with them on the phone. If you are nervious or shy about meeting a politician for the first time, then bring a friend that is educated and is used to speaking to bigwigs.

Complaining about your lack of rights on a gun forum is crap, take action. It really works. It may take several years, but in the end it is worth it. Ask those who did it in Kansas, Missouri and Washington State.

Ranb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:21 pm 
Silent But Deadly

ranb, congrats on helping Warshington, but its a different situation. WA always allowed legal ownership, but you just couldnt use them. Minnesota is a big time hunting state and very much paranoid about poaching. Theres a dopey belief silencers are for assassins and poachers in the upper midwest. I guess the cold winters force citizens to watch alot of hollywood movies and influence that. Even gun lovers and hunters of Minnesota dont have the desire for quieting their firearms. I know, as I grew up in Minnesota and they are all Elmer Fudds. I appreciate Oregon, my new home after the military, as it allows this freedom. You woulnt believe how tough it was to get conceal carry in Minnesota. Even after the collective demanded it. Like always, the metropolitan dictates to all :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:20 pm 
Silent But Deadly

psp7 wrote:
ranb, congrats on helping Warshington, but its a different situation. WA always allowed legal ownership, but you just couldnt use them.

I call BS on that. The only real difference between MN and WA was that enough people gave a f-ck about changing the law in WA last year and right now in MN too few gun owners seem to give a damn. In WA before July 22, 2011, silencers were just as useful to me in my home state as they are to you right now in MN. So silencer possession for you in MN is a felony, big whoop. If a person is not willing to put their back into getting a bill passed, then they must actually like the present restrictions.

I met with Senator Wolf today in Blaine, MN. BC98 set up the meeting. It was the first time he set up a meeting with a Senator and he did a great job. I attended the meeting with BC98 and another man from Duluth. I traveled 125 miles from Carlton and my friend traveled 150 miles. It was well worth it. We dicussed all the things one would expect to talk about when dealing with silencers. While I was expecting a 15-30 minute meeting, Senator Wolf kept us talking for nearly 90 minutes. i doubt she would do that if she was not interested in sponsoring a silencer bill.

At the meeting with Senator Wolf, I asked her if she had any problems with silencer ownership. She has none. I asked her if she would sponsor a bill allowing civilian silencer ownership. She will sponsor a bill, but she refused to be the only sponsor. She needs MN residents to get the support of other Senators before she will sponsor a silencer bill. She will not go solo on this bill and I do not blame her. No Senator is going to waste their time on a bill that does not have the support of a signifcant portion of the legislature or the gun owning public.

If any gun owner here is not willing to meet with their Senator to tell them they need a silencer bill, then it is the same damn thing as saying silencers should remain a felony to own in Minnesota. This means get off your asses, make a phone call to your Senator, and tell hm or her that you want a meeting to discuss a silencer bill. Tell them Senator Wolf is ready to sponsor a bill if she gets some support from her fellow Senators. BC98 has gone far beyond anyone else on this forum so far, do not make his efforts go to waste.

I traveled 1400 miles from WA to make a meeting with Senator Wolf and I was very happy to do it. I stand to benefit from any future bill like you MN guys. Three years ago I realized one great truth when I was struggling to get the WA State silencer bill noticed. We deserve the laws that oppress us because we choose the legislators that pass those laws. If a person cannot be bothered to take time off to speak faced to face with the people that pass those laws, then they must be very damn happy with the laws that oppress them.

I am trying to set up a silencer shoot near Superior Wisconsin next summer. I will bring as many guns and silencers as I can fit in my gun case and they will be available to any Minnesotan who wishes to try them out. I hope to get MN cops, DNR and legislators to the silencer shoot to show them how greatly they reduce noise and how they are still rather noisy on hunting rifles.

I believe that Senator Wolf will sponsor a silencer bill if we prove that we are worthy of her support. We can do it, all it takes is less time and effort than most of us spend each day surfing the internet, playing video games or drinking beer. Talking to a Senator is very easy, the second time you do it. The first time it can be a bit nerve racking. While the Senators are in a position of power, they cannot afford to randomly piss people off. They need to make you happy or at least convince you that they care. You need to tell them how to make you happy. Tell them you want to own silencers. Convince them that the police and DNR will benefit from a silencer bill. Ain’t democracy f-cking wonderful?

Ranb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:28 pm 
Silent But Deadly

RANB, I think I love you :mrgreen: At least your passion :D It pisses me off MN deems me a felon if I move back to my home state cuz I own aluminum tubes with baffles in them :roll: . We are in contract with a piece of land north of Duluth and if we purchase it I WILL BE THERE. I wanna met you. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:40 pm 
Silent But Deadly

I fly back home to WA tomorrow. I vacation in MN each summer and Christmas. I am ready to go with anyone (w/i 150 miles) who wants to meet with their legislator to push for a silencer bill.

Ranb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:47 pm 

ranb wrote:
I fly back home to WA tomorrow. I vacation in MN each summer and Christmas. I am ready to go with anyone (w/i 150 miles) who wants to meet with their legislator to push for a silencer bill.

Ranb

And I'm more than willing to take time off work to go with anyone to a similar meeting, as well.

As RanB mentioned, the meeting with Senator Wolf seemed to go very well. Actually, better than I had expected. Both she and her assistant were very interested in the topic, asked good questions, and gave us some good suggestions about next steps. I was a little nervous at first but she was a very down to earth lady with an open mind about the subject.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:24 pm 

Hello,
I am a new member here - my first post, actually. I was trying to find out if there is any current legislation in the works to legalize suppressors in Mn. I did a search and came across this thread. I live in SW MN, am a gun owner, and a Class 07 manufacturer. Mainly for my own use and satisfaction, I would like to see the law changed. Can someone fill me in on the current situation?
Thanks,
B_Quad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:11 pm 
Silent But Deadly

As far as I know, the situation is currently is;

During the last session the MN legislature amended 609.66 to remove the July 2011 date that prohibited silencer possession by the DNR and did away with other red tape associated with DNR possession.

BC98 and I met with Senator Wolf last year and she agreed to sponsor a silencer bill if she got some support from other Senators. It seems that this did not happen.

The MN silencer situation is being discussed at AR15.com (MN hometown section) and MNGunTalk.com . Not everyone agrees on a course of action to say the least. I hear that the MN GOCRA is interested in amending 609.66, but I'm not sure what they are actually doing about it as they are not replying to my e-mails much.

Write to Senator Wolf to see if she is still interested at all.

Ranb

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the reply! I will write to her and see if I can get some conversation going with my local reps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 pm 

The only current legislation is a bill that would allow FFL dealers to possess suppressors, but only to sell to LEO and DNR officers to be used in accordance with the existing statute. See below:

H.F. No. 1816, as introduced - 87th Legislative Session (2011-2012) Posted on Jan 13, 2012

1.1A bill for an act
1.2relating to public safety; firearms; authorizing federally licensed firearms
1.3importers, manufacturers, and dealers to possess and sell firearm silencers to
1.4authorized law enforcement and wildlife management agencies for certain
1.5authorized purposes;amending Minnesota Statutes 2011 Supplement, section
1.6609.66, subdivision 1h.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 am 

Hi, yes they are legal to LE, we just got them at work. But I am in the process of getting them legalized in Minnesota for civilians also. I have a Rep that will introduce the bill and we need all the support we can get...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:14 am 
Silent But Deadly

MN law says silencers can only be used for emergency tactical response. Does this mean you still can not train with them legally?

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.66

Subd. 1h.Silencers; authorized for law enforcement and wildlife control purposes.

Quote:
(a) Notwithstanding subdivision 1a, paragraph (a), clause (1), licensed peace officers may use devices designed to silence or muffle the discharge of a firearm for tactical emergency response operations. Tactical emergency response operations include execution of high risk search and arrest warrants, incidents of terrorism, hostage rescue, and any other tactical deployments involving high risk circumstances. The chief law enforcement officer of a law enforcement agency that has the need to use silencing devices must establish and enforce a written policy governing the use of the devices.

Ranb

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:17 pm 
Silent But Deadly

New silencer bills in the works in Minnesota.

Senate Bill

House Silencer Bill

The deadline for bills to be acted on in the house of origin is March 20th, the 27th for bills from the other house. Committee Deadlines

Contact info
Find your legislator

Senate contact information

House of Representatives contact information

If you don't educate them on the benefits (hearing protection, less noise at shooting areas) and limitations (not actually make a gun silent) then you can count on the anti-gunners to do it for you.

The House silencer bill is going to the Public Safety and Crime Prevention Policy and Finance Committee first.
Committee link

The Senate version goes to the Judicairy Committee.
Committee Link

The Republicans control the Judiciary while the DFL controls the Public Safety Committee. Don’t let party affiliation convince you of how they will behave towards the bills. They will be most influenced by what their constituents tell them. Write a polite educational letter to them in a legal sized envelope and follow it up with an e-mail and phone call. Once you get a reply it is usually best to continue with e-mail as it is much faster. If they disagree with you, be polite and persistent. If they don’t give a good reason why they are opposed to silencer ownership, press them for a reason, but always be polite and never make a claim you can’t prove.

Promote the idea that we are just trying to bring state law into line with federal law and that these types of REGISTERED firearms are very rarely associated with any violent crime, poaching included.

Ranb

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:03 pm 
Silent But Deadly

The silencer bills were added to a Public Safety bill which recently passed with >2/3's majority. I heard something about provision about police chiefs being forced to make the CLEO signature being taken out of the bills, but the rest of the pro-gun stuff is there.

Ranb

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 1:19 pm 
Silent But Deadly

Governor Dayton had previously threatened to veto any silencer bill, but this morning signed SF878, an omnibus safety bill into law.

It has several gun control provisions in addition to easing the strict controls on silencer use by the police and allowing civilian possession. The Governor will no longer have the authority to seize firearms during a state of emergency. CCW holders will no longer need to provide notification to the Commissioner of Public Safety to carry at the MN State Capitol complex. Reciprocity for CCW is changed and MN law will be clarified concerning purchase of long guns in other states.

Ranb

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:55 am 
Silent But Deadly

Minnesota dumps Idaho so all those who bought Idaho permits got dumped.