Technical Question Regarding Registrations & Transfers

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

galconv500

Technical Question Regarding Registrations & Transfers

Post by galconv500 »

This question is more for the legal types in the crowd. I was talking with a fellow at a local gun club who was shooting a foreign made sub-gun. During our conversation, he indicated that he's considering selling it. He indicated that it's on an approved Form 4 and lists a foreign country as the MFR. I asked if it was registered during or prior to the amnesty in '68 and from what he knew of the gun's history, he said that it missed the amnesty and was originally registered in the early 70's to a police department on a Form 10. The PD later sold / transferred it on a Form 4 and that he's the second or third 'approved' owner since the PD sold / transferred it. He indicated that PDs could do that till about 1974. After '74, that 'loop-hole' was closed by ATF and PD's could no longer sell / transfer guns on a Form 4 that were originally regisitered on a Form 10.

I've never heard that before. Was that a legal way to work around the amnesty for those who missed it? Are those guns 100% legal or are they a 'registry correction' waiting to happen? Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Technical Question Regarding Registrations & Transfers

Post by Bendersquint »

galconv500 wrote:This question is more for the legal types in the crowd. I was talking with a fellow at a local gun club who was shooting a foreign made sub-gun. During our conversation, he indicated that he's considering selling it. He indicated that it's on an approved Form 4 and lists a foreign country as the MFR. I asked if it was registered during or prior to the amnesty in '68 and from what he knew of the gun's history, he said that it missed the amnesty and was originally registered in the early 70's to a police department on a Form 10. The PD later sold / transferred it on a Form 4 and that he's the second or third 'approved' owner since the PD sold / transferred it. He indicated that PDs could do that till about 1974. After '74, that 'loop-hole' was closed by ATF and PD's could no longer sell / transfer guns on a Form 4 that were originally regisitered on a Form 10.

I've never heard that before. Was that a legal way to work around the amnesty for those who missed it? Are those guns 100% legal or are they a 'registry correction' waiting to happen? Thanks.
There was no legal work around for the amnesty. There were a bunch that slipped through the cracks as described F10--->F4. Some are still out there, some were confiscated, some are frozen from transfer to anyone but an SOT.

If they review the history of the record and see the error they might freeze it in place, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were trying to obtain it. I know personally of 4 MG's that qualify and the owners held their breath during the entire process.

3 made it through the other was frozen and records updated that it is a dealer sample.
galconv500

Post by galconv500 »

Thanks for your time and insight on this question. Your comments were along the lines of what I was thinking but as I've never had any experience with this, I really appreciate this information.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

galconv500 wrote:Thanks for your time and insight on this question. Your comments were along the lines of what I was thinking but as I've never had any experience with this, I really appreciate this information.
;) You are welcome.