Manufacturing Supressors in VT

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

tmacie

Manufacturing Supressors in VT

Post by tmacie »

I have an 01FFL right now, I'm in the process of changing that to an 07FFL. I'm contemplating getting an SOT so I can manufacture goodies. ATF wont allow transfers for suppressors here but can I manufacture them?

Where the shop will be located I won't be able to test onsite, I'll have to go to a local range....Would the ATF have issues with this?

Travis
- Travis
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Manufacturing Supressors in VT

Post by Bendersquint »

tmacie wrote:I have an 01FFL right now, I'm in the process of changing that to an 07FFL. I'm contemplating getting an SOT so I can manufacture goodies. ATF wont allow transfers for suppressors here but can I manufacture them?

Where the shop will be located I won't be able to test onsite, I'll have to go to a local range....Would the ATF have issues with this?

Travis
Unfortunately it is illegal for you to manufacture silencers even if properly licensed by the BATFE and even for sales outside of VT.
tmacie

Post by tmacie »

Bendersquint wrote:
tmacie wrote:I have an 01FFL right now, I'm in the process of changing that to an 07FFL. I'm contemplating getting an SOT so I can manufacture goodies. ATF wont allow transfers for suppressors here but can I manufacture them?

Travis
Unfortunately it is illegal for you to manufacture silencers even if properly licensed by the BATFE and even for sales outside of VT.

Do you have a source of information? I see your location is NC, have you lived in VT?

Thanks!
- Travis
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

tmacie wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Travis

Do you have a source of information? I see your location is NC, have you lived in VT?

Thanks!
Vermont state law is the primary documented source.

Here is the quote.....

"§ 4010. Gun silencers

A person who manufactures, sells, uses, or possesses with intent to sell or use an appliance known as or used for a gun silencer shall be fined $25.00 for each offense. The provisions of this section shall not prevent the use or possession of gun silencers by:

(1) a certified, full-time law enforcement officer or department of fish and wildlife employee in connection with his or her duties and responsibilities and in accordance with the policies and procedures of that officer's or employee's agency or department; or

(2) the Vermont National Guard in connection with its duties and responsibilities. (Amended 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238f, eff. June 3, 2010.)"

There is no exemption in the Vermont state law for manufacturers.

I don't live in VT but I have customers in VT that are manufacturers and they mirror my statements as they were pissed because they can not make them and they had pending contracts in hand.

No cans in VT, no owning, making or transferring.
tmacie

Post by tmacie »

Bendersquint wrote:
tmacie wrote:

Thanks!

Here is the quote.....

"§ 4010. Gun silencers

A person who manufactures, sells, uses, or possesses with intent to sell or use an appliance known as or used for a gun silencer shall be fined $25.00 for each offense. The provisions of this section shall not prevent the use or possession of gun silencers by:

(1) a certified, full-time law enforcement officer or department of fish and wildlife employee in connection with his or her duties and responsibilities and in accordance with the policies and procedures of that officer's or employee's agency or department; or

(2) the Vermont National Guard in connection with its duties and responsibilities. (Amended 2009, No. 154 (Adj. Sess.), § 238f, eff. June 3, 2010.)"

I don't live in VT but I have customers in VT that are manufacturers and they mirror my statements as they were pissed because they can not make them and they had pending contracts in hand.

I'm sure its been tried, but that does say "A person", not a corporation. I know there is legislation pending that modifies this law but the judicial committee has put it on the backburner indefinitely. Unfortunately our state is more and more blue as time goes on and basically one county dictates what goes on here.

Travis
- Travis
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

tmacie wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
tmacie wrote:

Thanks!

Here is the quote.....

"§ 4010. Gun silencers

I'm sure its been tried, but that does say "A person", not a corporation. I know there is legislation pending that modifies this law but the judicial committee has put it on the backburner indefinitely. Unfortunately our state is more and more blue as time goes on and basically one county dictates what goes on here.

Travis
Unfortunately corps fall under "person". They are not saying person in the literal definition but the legal definition.

Yes it has been tried many many times before. I know of 2 attempts last year and both shot down.

Also now look at the wording which reinforces this... A person(literal) can not manufacture, they can make. There is a differences. A person (literal) can not make with intent to sell either.……all this means no manufacturing of cans and ATF upholds the state restrictions.

So you are just out of luck, but i am sure new hampshire would welcome your business!
tmacie

Post by tmacie »

Thanks for the info. I've poked around a little bit and figured someone smarter than I am with better backing has probably tried everything under the sun.

I may see if I can find a small shop in NH. I can almost see it from my house.

Travis
- Travis