SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:56 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 7:38 am
Posts: 16
I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:02 pm 
Offline
Senior Silent Operator

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 am
Posts: 106
goodstuff412 wrote:
I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.


they've had my forms 60 days now on a suppressor, and they haven't even cashed the check...

things are taking dramatically longer now. there haven't been any real changes, excepting people buying mountains of guns, both title i and title ii.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:06 pm 
Offline
Elite Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:48 pm
Posts: 2940
Location: Florida
I'm not trying to be a smart ass but... your kidding right? Have you been to any gun stores lately? Have you tried to buy primers or powder? The same people that cleared the shelves at all the sporting goods stores are buying NFA items too, and more of them. I myself have one pending and three more on the way after that. So yes their may be a little bit of a delay compared to what we are used too.


Sorry if I sounded harsh. :wink:

_________________
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:46 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:59 pm
Posts: 48
I've been pending since April 10. It's frustrating to see others get approved when they sent theirs in a month after me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:07 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly

Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:48 pm
Posts: 662
Location: Quinque, VA
Mine (for 2 suppressors) were mailed the first week of January, are currently pending. ATF said FBI is still analyzing fingerprints. So, we're into 5 months now.

_________________
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:56 am
Posts: 5914
Location: The Dalles, OR
bullyforyou wrote:
goodstuff412 wrote:
I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.


they've had my forms 60 days now on a suppressor, and they haven't even cashed the check...

things are taking dramatically longer now. there haven't been any real changes, excepting people buying mountains of guns, both title i and title ii.



You need to make some calls. I sent two form 4's and checks in end of may and they were cashed within 3 days.

_________________
Uptalking Underboob


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:24 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:53 pm
Posts: 455
Location: Memphis, Tennessee
I submitted paperwork for a machinegun in mid-january, check cashed 1st week of February, went pending in March and approved May 20th.

_________________
Remember kids, SALAD is NOT food...salad is what food EATS.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:39 pm 
Offline
Elite Member

Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm
Posts: 1946
Location: OR
Mine all seem to be running just short of 4 months. :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:38 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:18 pm
Posts: 161
Location: North Texas
You need paperwork for this stuff?


I kid


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:13 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:59 am
Posts: 7543
Location: VA
There's some variability on posted return times. Some that are near three months, others stretching to six, it's impossible to make predictions at the moment.

My last one went pending 4/15 and was approved 6/10. I think that's the longest wait I've had.

Since I've got nine transfers going in this month, I am not expecting a quick turnaround. Maybe in time for Christmas?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:20 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 1308
Diomed wrote:
There's some variability on posted return times. Some that are near three months, others stretching to six, it's impossible to make predictions at the moment.

My last one went pending 4/15 and was approved 6/10. I think that's the longest wait I've had.

Since I've got nine transfers going in this month, I am not expecting a quick turnaround. Maybe in time for Christmas?


Didnt you just have 9 or 10 come back a few months ago? :shock:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:42 am 
Offline
Senior Silent Operator

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:32 am
Posts: 106
YugoRPK wrote:
bullyforyou wrote:
goodstuff412 wrote:
I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.


they've had my forms 60 days now on a suppressor, and they haven't even cashed the check...

things are taking dramatically longer now. there haven't been any real changes, excepting people buying mountains of guns, both title i and title ii.



You need to make some calls. I sent two form 4's and checks in end of may and they were cashed within 3 days.


typically, my checks have all been cashed within a week of them recieving the forms. there was ONE time though, when i had my forms go pending before the check was cashed (about a month), and i've heard of this happening to other too. i figured it is possible that i've run into the same situation again, just with the added backlog.

though i do intend to call them shortly, ,just to be safe...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:31 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 552
Location: Pa
I went pending on 4-9 for a suppressor on a trust and still nothing, so they are not so fast anymore.

Jeremy

_________________
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:51 pm 
Offline
Senior Silent Operator

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:01 am
Posts: 143
Location: Mt. Vernon, Ohio
My pending 4-15 was approved and at my dealer 4 weeks later. Same time line for the next three. Trust approved by Ted Clutter. THANK YOU Mr. Clutter.

Total time was 3 months.

_________________
It's better to ask forgivness than permission


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:25 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:47 pm
Posts: 1627
Location: Texas
yeah.... trust transfer pending 21 APR, still waiting.....

it's weird how some people are getting way faster turnaround times.

I wonder if it has anything to do with how many people are in your trust...

It sucks that they get to see your trust info anyway. They should just have the declaration of trust, and leave it at that. I sent my whole trust in, just to be safe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:39 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:59 am
Posts: 7543
Location: VA
CKOD wrote:
Didnt you just have 9 or 10 come back a few months ago? :shock:

Yeah, but they were all through one dealer. These new 'uns are through two. Same examiner though, purely by chance...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:36 am 
Offline
Silencertalk Goon Squad
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:40 am
Posts: 152
Location: South Korea
I had a Form 4 come back the day before yeasterday.

4 long months.

coop

_________________
HK MP5
AAC M4-2000
AAC Aviator x2
AAC Pilot x2
AAC Stryker2
AAC Evo .45
AAC Cyclone


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:49 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:35 pm
Posts: 552
Location: Pa
I would have had mine today, but my address wasn't filled out on the second form... :roll: This was my first transfer, and I just did what the dealer told me to. I will have it next week. It would have been 119 days.

Jeremy

_________________
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:02 am 
Offline
Silent Operator
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:28 pm
Posts: 53
Location: Las Vegas, NV
I had three transfers since the election and each one took about four months.

_________________
I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: still waiting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:54 am 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat May 09, 2009 7:38 am
Posts: 16
I called my examiner (Barbara Payne) and my prints are still at the FBI. Over six months since I sent in my paperwork. Check was cashed within a week and here I am.....still waiting. WTF? I know these things take time. This is my 4th transfer. But over 6 months......Come on! really?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:28 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:36 pm
Posts: 1166
Diomed wrote:
CKOD wrote:
Didnt you just have 9 or 10 come back a few months ago? :shock:

Yeah, but they were all through one dealer. These new 'uns are through two. Same examiner though, purely by chance...


If there is only one examiner working there now, what are the odds you would get the same one again? :wink:

I was in a rush earlier this year. But I was in a rush for Form-1 stuff. What I have learned since being here is to slow down, take a breath, and really think things through.

I've not filed any forms yet. But that will happen this month. I expect that my first suppressor project will be something I do over the winter.

I'm not going to worry about the time. I'm getting my end setup. I also need to practice some basic machinist skills before I actually get to making suppressor parts. Don't go taking me for a solipsist though. There can be only one and I am it.

I personally have unknown opportunity cost going into my first can along with a pretty darn well known bill for hobby level machine equipment. Oddly enough, I was trying to save money. The joke is on me. I should have just bought a Cyclone-K.

Then again, now I want many suppressors and now I have the tooling to toss them off as fast as my nonexistent skill allows.

I remember my Form-4 and how long that took. Felt like an eternity. And I knew nothing about NFA other than how to bug my dealer. He must have enjoyed that. In those days, I hung out at his shop. I bought a lot of things I don't need and can't bare to part with.

Now I'm just concentrating on making some more money. Yes, I've been dealing with setting up a trust and other things for NFA toys. So I will certainly be waiting for that wonderful mail back from the NFA branch when I send in my Form-1 paperwork. But I will be thinking about other stuff too.

Little things like my bank balance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:27 pm 
Offline
Silent Operator

Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:47 pm
Posts: 72
Location: N.E. Ohio
They cashed my check two days after delivery, but that was in mid-May, so I'm not holding my breath. Hopefully, my form 4 got in there over the hump, and I won't be waiting for another two months.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:55 am 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:41 pm
Posts: 1068
Location: Powell, OH
bullyforyou wrote:

they've had my forms 60 days now on a suppressor, and they haven't even cashed the check...



Call them. They always cash the checks within a few days.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:34 pm 
Offline
Silent But Deadly
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:03 pm
Posts: 677
Location: Houston
I went pending May 8.

_________________
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: still waiting
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:52 pm 
Offline
Silent Operator

Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:56 am
Posts: 56
goodstuff412 wrote:
I called my examiner (Barbara Payne) and my prints are still at the FBI. Over six months since I sent in my paperwork. Check was cashed within a week and here I am.....still waiting. WTF? I know these things take time. This is my 4th transfer. But over 6 months......Come on! really?


Isn't it something how they can cash your check so quickly ? They don't delay THAT portion of the procedure, do they ?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bobaganusche, IslandTimes, kubmiester, LawBob, NickAAC and 73 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group