Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

goodstuff412

Post by goodstuff412 »

Check cashed 24 Feb. I called a couple of days ago. Evidently I went "pending" 12 June. My prints still havent come back from FBI. Is anyone else getting jacked around like this. I contacted my Congressman's office for assistance (Rehberg MT R). I know it may just piss off some bureaucrats at the NFA branch. It is going on 7 months since I sent in my paperwork. This is ridiculous. I must say that Barbara Payne is very pleasant to deal with though. She has done a couple of my previous transfers with no problem at all. 3 months seemed to be the average time on the wait. I know patience is the name of the NFA game but this is out of hand.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Thats too long to go pending anyway. Ive got one that I sent in May 20th that went pending July 6th that I fully expect to be completed the first week of August.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
gunlovingjohn
Silent Operator

wait

Post by gunlovingjohn »

Johns guns P22
January 16th
Resubmit papers in early April
May 14th received Stamp

S and H 77/22 Stainless
January 25th Sent Money Order
Recieved May 22nd
(Had to Submit papers again as I made a mistake)

S and H 22/45 Stainless
Sent April 10 with money order
Recieved Stamp July 3rd

Spectre April 19th Money Order
Pending May 28th
Recieved Stamp and Suppressor July 20
"There is a fine line between Tactical and Tacky."
silent_grizz
Silent But Deadly

Post by silent_grizz »

I've been pending since 04-23. Called on Friday, still pending. This is my 4th NFA tansfer and has been by far my longest wait. I went in to buy an AR lower just to make sure there was not a problem :). I was recently fingerprinted for a new job and was concerned that may have caused some kind of problem...
AAC M4-2000-08
Gemtech Tundra 9mm
Tactical Innovations Stratus .22LR
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Re: still waiting

Post by Crosshair »

Delta3-2 wrote:Isn't it something how they can cash your check so quickly ? They don't delay THAT portion of the procedure, do they ?
No, it makes perfect sense. Might as well reject the forms that have rubber checks right away and process the ones that are in order.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Re: still waiting

Post by Diomed »

Crosshair wrote:No, it makes perfect sense. Might as well reject the forms that have rubber checks right away and process the ones that are in order.
They don't seem to do that, though. Bad checks are a significant source of delay in getting forms approved - they keep trying to get the check cashed for quite some time after they get it if it bounces.
Walsh

Re: Current Form 4 wait time. Is something going on at BATF?

Post by Walsh »

goodstuff412 wrote:I have been appproved on 3 form 4's since 2005. They all ranged from 8-12 weeks which is standard. My latest was mailed Jan 24 and was in the "system" effective 17 April. 55 days pending. Is anyone else experiencing abnormally long waiting time. I am wondering if anyone has heard of something going on within the agency that is prolonging the process. Im not suggesting a conspiracy theory, rather a political change in the proverbial tides specific to NFA.
In February it took me 3 months for approval. I submitted another in March and have not received it yet.

Walsh
DimeGroups
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DimeGroups »

sent my form in early may and guy said it was submitted to a examiner on July 10th. finished with the examiner and is now pending. how long does the pending stage usually take?
BRANDED FOR LIFE - AAC CUSTOMER FOR LIFE
montanabound
Silent But Deadly

Post by montanabound »

IIRC, I think the examiners are assigned according to FFL or your last name. I think it they change examiners from time to time, but for the most part they're all probably swamped.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

OOOH, OOOH, OOOH!!!!! :D :D

Just had Form 1 approved today! Submitted 4/14, approved 7/11.

Wife said to calm down before she force fed me some blue pills. Whatever those are. :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I had a friend that has a C&R license and he just had his book inspected by the ATF. Nice guy. They chatted a bit and the guy said the current wait times should be about three months and within the next few months, should be back down to two months. :D

With any luck, I'll have my stuff before Christmas! WooHoo!
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

DimeGroups wrote:sent my form in early may and guy said it was submitted to a examiner on July 10th. finished with the examiner and is now pending. how long does the pending stage usually take?

I used to say it never took longer than a month past the pending point. I'm up to 6 weeks on one now though. Keep in mind that summer is also the vacation season at the NFA too.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

I got the phone call last Thursday that the stamper came in. I couldn't make it over the weekend so now I need to wait another week while my buddy who gave me the stuff is fishing in Colorado. This stuff had been pending since May 8 th.
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

Blaubart wrote:I had a friend that has a C&R license and he just had his book inspected by the ATF. Nice guy. They chatted a bit and the guy said the current wait times should be about three months and within the next few months, should be back down to two months. :D

With any luck, I'll have my stuff before Christmas! WooHoo!
Always take anything an IOI says with a grain of salt.

Many, many grains if they're a special agent.
goodstuff412

APPROVED!!!!!

Post by goodstuff412 »

I finally got my form 4 back on 7 August. This transfer took almost 7 1/2 months. I must say Barbara Payne is very easy to work with, but the process is frustrating as hell. Life is good and silence is golden.