first suppresor in Washington. Trust or Non-profit org.

2nd Amendment and Freedom

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

datruthab123

first suppresor in Washington. Trust or Non-profit org.

Post by datruthab123 »

I have decided that It is worth it to get my first suppressor in Washington and shoot it in Oregon, AAC 762SD for Remington 700 SPS tactical, What is truly the best route, Trust or NON-profit organization does one effect the turn around time, is one faster than the other or safer in terms of maintainig
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

Non-profit?
datruthab123

non profit organization

Post by datruthab123 »

They both seem rather complicated so Im having a firearms attorney handle the paperwork and explain it a little more but he already told me he prefers the non profit organization route instead of the trust route, just getting the consensus on the route everybody else took to get NFA weapons and items. Trying to get into at least a suppressor, will have to go to Oregon to shoot it .
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Trust, non-profit organization is shady... I'll be honest, if you have any tax right offs and you're using it or abusing non-profit organization's privileges.

You're begging to be screwed by the IRS.

Go Trust, involve one less Government Agency. I'll be honest, the IRS is just as tenacious and cut throat as the ATF.

I'd say unless you had a legitimate non-profit org, absolutely not.

Trust is much easier, and you don't have to provide any paperwork, and you can have multiple people in it, and it's good for the length of your life.

Flexible, one time deal. Non-Profit Organizations, screams issues to me.
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

I think he must mean a not-for-profit LLC, which is not necessarily a tax exempt organization.
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

Trust is the standard route.
silent_grizz
Silent But Deadly

Post by silent_grizz »

I'm in WA and I went the trust route. No biggie.
AAC M4-2000-08
Gemtech Tundra 9mm
Tactical Innovations Stratus .22LR
Manlaan

Post by Manlaan »

I'd go with a trust. With any sort of corp, you're stuck paying year after year in order to keep the corp active and possession of your items valid.

If you ever lapse on keeping the corp active, who knows what can happen with your items, but since the corp will no longer be valid, there really wouldn't be a valid owner either, which could be bad to be in possession of the items.

Also, it may be fairly cheap to do a corp now, but later down the road, who knows... One day they might decide to raise the renewal fees to $5000/year and you'd be stuck paying it and keeping the corp active (at least until you spend the $200/item to transfer the items out again).

So, unless you have a very specific reason to do a corp, the trust will end up being a lot easier and cheaper overall.