Quietest Host for Spectre II Shooting a Bulk Pack

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Quietest Host thru Spectre2 strictly Federal Bulk Pack?

A. Walther P22
11%
B. Ruger SR22
11%
C. M&P 22
3%
D. Ruger Mark 3 Talo 4" TB
5%
E. Ruger 22/45 4.5" TB
35%
F. Ruger 22/45 Lite 4.4"
11%
G. Buckmark URX Lipsey's 4" TB
8%
H. GSG 1911
16%

Total votes: 37

Bull City Heel

Quietest Host for Spectre II Shooting a Bulk Pack

Post by Bull City Heel »

What say ye???

I've been reading a lot of great reviews which lead me to pickup a SpectreII. My dealer luckily had one in stock and submitted the Form 4 efile last Thursday.

I am interested in everyone's opinions on what the quietest pistol host would be running Federal bulk pack? The host would absolutely need to keep the bulk subsonic. Also, for ease of use I'd prefer not having to cut/re-thread any barrels.

Sights or rails are fine....would rather put the cost of re-threading towards a really nice red dot instead...Deltapoint/Trijicon/Burris

Order of importance: 1a Quiet, 1b Quiet, 2 Accurate, 3 Reliable

Some of the contenders:

A. Walther P22
B. Ruger SR22
C. M&P 22
D. Ruger Mark 3 Talo 4" - http://ruger.com/products/markIIIDE/spe ... 10154.html
E. Ruger 22/45 4.5" TB Rail/ Fixed http://ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedB ... 10149.html
http://ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedB ... 10150.html
F. Ruger 22/45 Lite 4.4" TB - http://ruger.com/products/2245Lite/models.html
G. Buckmark URX Lipseys 4" TB - http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx? ... 051-493490
H. GSG 1911

I was strongly leaning towards the P22 but became concerned when I began reading about the poor quality/ reliability. Are they really that bad? All of these can be found within about $100 of one another. If not a p22, what's the quietest in second place?

I will mostly be plinking, shooting around with friends or trying to turn heads on the range. Wifey will use some too. A Ruger would solve the reliability issue - but which Ruger is the quietest among the bunch (almost excluded the SR22). I could also drop in an upgraded trigger and mag disconnect to make one even more reliable.
Last edited by Bull City Heel on Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Quietest Host for Spectre II Shooting a Bulk Pack

Post by Ben B. »

Probably the GSG 5", b/c the barrel is longer, unless the round goes supersonic in the 5" barrel. You won't know that until you try that specific box/lot of ammo thru that specific gun. IMHO, it's a waste of O2 discussing it, as there won't be enough difference & I'd pick the gun you like the most as long as it's not the P22. Really quiet will be a .22 bolt rifle with the can & target ammo.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

It seems that most manufacturers test on the P22, so I'm going to guess it's the quietest.

FWIW, I have the M&P22.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

RJT wrote:It seems that most manufacturers test on the P22, so I'm going to guess it's the quietest.

FWIW, I have the M&P22.
It's definitely not the quietest. It's one of the cheapest/most plentiful, that's why manufs test on it.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Bull City Heel

Post by Bull City Heel »

Ben B. wrote:Probably the GSG 5", b/c the barrel is longer, unless the round goes supersonic in the 5" barrel. You won't know that until you try that specific box/lot of ammo thru that specific gun. IMHO, it's a waste of O2 discussing it, as there won't be enough difference & I'd pick the gun you like the most as long as it's not the P22. Really quiet will be a .22 bolt rifle with the can & target ammo.
Tks for the reply Ben! The GSG is a fun little gun to shoot suppressed - had a chance to shoot my buddy's. Bulk popped and went super sonic, but it was a sweet little shooter. He had a good stock of subsonic available. A lot of fun.

Does the P22 have too many reliability issues or is it giving up too much accuracy for sake of sound?

My wife has little carnie hands, so that's something to consider too.
Bull City Heel

Post by Bull City Heel »

JasonM wrote:
RJT wrote:It seems that most manufacturers test on the P22, so I'm going to guess it's the quietest.

FWIW, I have the M&P22.
It's definitely not the quietest. It's one of the cheapest/most plentiful, that's why manufs test on it.

Tks Jason. What's your favorite/the most quiet from the list? Seems split between P22 vs Rugers.
Bull City Heel

Post by Bull City Heel »

Accidentally clicked and voted. Didn't mean to skew the poll. Keep the great info and votes rolling in!!!
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

All the free test data available leans toward the GSG but the amount of difference you're talking about averages less than 2dB or for all practical purposes identical.

Some things I don't see in your list are capacity, modularity and maintainability. Once the giggles about how quiet it is wear off these items start to grow in importance along with how many mags can you run dry before the malfunctions start to pile up. Just some things to consider in case you haven't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bull City Heel

Post by Bull City Heel »

doubloon wrote:All the free test data available leans toward the GSG but the amount of difference you're talking about averages less than 2dB or for all practical purposes identical.

Some things I don't see in your list are capacity, modularity and maintainability. Once the giggles about how quiet it is wear off these items start to grow in importance along with how many mags can you run dry before the malfunctions start to pile up. Just some things to consider in case you haven't.

Great suggestions on capacity/maintainability/ modularity. Especially from a long term ownership perspective. The stainless user serviceable baffles and warranty were why I went with the Spectre2, esp. since the bD's were in line with the top performers. I should apply the same approach to the host.

In your experience would federal bulk stay subsonic on a GSG? If not, which host would be your next pistol choice?
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Bull City Heel wrote:
doubloon wrote:All the free test data available leans toward the GSG but the amount of difference you're talking about averages less than 2dB or for all practical purposes identical.

Great suggestions on capacity/maintainability/ modularity. Especially from a long term ownership perspective. The stainless user serviceable baffles and warranty were why I went with the Spectre2, esp. since the bD's were in line with the top performers. I should apply the same approach to the host.

In your experience would federal bulk stay subsonic on a GSG? If not, which host would be your next pistol choice?
I have a Marvel 5.5" 1911. I would expect a significant minority of Fed bulk to go supersonic from my gun. A 4" gun should be safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2dcRhsouk4
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

Federal bulk goes supersonic in my GSG 1911. CCI standards are what I run to keep it super quiet.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Bull City Heel wrote:...
Sorry, implied I don't have a GSG but didn't say it. I have a 22lr P229 conversion I'm quite happy with. the barrel is extended and threaded so not quite a true 5" barrel ... somewhere around 4.4"-4.5" ... most bulk pack seems to stay subsonic but it's so much fun to shoot it's hard to pay attention.

I like the feel of the full sized host over anything else I've ever handled and the 15rd mod has always worked for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Reliable and long lasting should be more important. Most 4" is fine with HV and sound similar. Why buy a POS that is the most quiet (by a hair) when you can have something strong and reliable?

You didn't have a 4 1/4" Pre MKIII ( large) or 2213/2214 ( small ) on the list so voting is extremely difficult. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Bull City Heel

Post by Bull City Heel »

Emilio wrote: You didn't have a 4 1/4" Pre MKIII ( large) or 2213/2214 ( small ) on the list so voting is extremely difficult. :mrgreen:

Starting to see a few dbs here or there aren't worth it. Leaning towards a Ruger Mark III or Buckmark.

Tell me more about these factory threaded pre-MK3's you speaketh of?
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

Its been my experience that the federal bulk pack stays subsonic in my 22/45 as long as the weather is warm. The minute winter sets in it you get the sonic crack.
domestique

Post by domestique »

M&P 22.

I vote this because my CCWs are M&Ps. The manual of arms is identical and makes for better training. Rugers may be awesome, but my grip, and manual of arms are different. Not to mention I can't attach a weapon light to a lot of those hosts.

If we are bringing reliability/magazine capacity into this discussion, then training needs to be considered as well. I personally wouldn't worry about dbs and look at which host is closer to your carry/hd gun.
zach h
Silent But Deadly

Post by zach h »

The Rugers and Brownings will probly be at the top of the heap for accuracy . Some of the better 1911's may place high too . I have an MKII that i use a suppressor host . It will start malf at around 1k-1.5k shot with the suppressor . And from what I've seen on friends guns that is around the "crud" point . We all got M&P 22's and I'm not sure where they stop working . Accuracy is good and it is a fun trainer . I highly recommend them . The SR22 seems to be a good gun so far but it was a little small for my taste . I also have a newer Walther PPK 22 . Mine has been good and has a classic look and feel to it . A friend that got one at the same time has had to send his back twice for small broken parts . These were very early guns and the new ones may be better . I have quite a few .22lr pistols but only really shoot 2 of them and in the last couple years the M&P has been the main one .