Surefire Ryder 22-A

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Faulkner

Surefire Ryder 22-A

Post by Faulkner »

I've not seen any reviews on the Surefire Ryder 22-A so I'll share a few words about mine. It's my first suppressor but I was fortunate to be able to try out a number of different brands at the local range. Like many, of the seveal types I tried I was impressed with the performance of the Silencerco Sparrow, and I liked the price and maintenance of the Huntertown Guardian, but the main attribute of the Surefire Ryder was the weight, or lack thereof. At a hair over 3 ounces it does not effect the ergonomics of my Ruger SR22 or Ruger MKIII 22/45 LITE. When mounted on my S&W 15-22 it seems like it isn't even there!

I bought my Ruger SR22 before factory threaded barrels were available so after I sent in the BATF paperwork for the suppressor I ordered an aftermarket barrel from TWIN TECH. It was simple enough to change out, screw on the appropriate thread adaptor, and the Surefire Ryder 22-A mates right up. No operational issues whatsoever. With standard high velocity rounds I noticed the first round had a slightly higher sound, I suppose that's the first round pop. After that it settled down nicely. I noticed no first round pop with sub-sonic ammo. It's amazing how the suppressor is hardly noticeable at all in the way the SR22 handles because it is so light.

Similarly, the Surefire Ryder 22-A worked flawlessly on my Ruger MKIII 22/45 LITE, only I did not notice any first round pop with any of the ammo. As much as I like the suppressor paired with the SR22, I love it on the MKIII LITE.

This suppressor is just plain awesome on the S&W 15-22. It is really impressive with sub-sonic ammo, I didn't realize how much noise the bolt made slapping around when it's not drowned out by the sonic crack of an unsuppressed barrel.

Disassembly and cleaning was simple enough. Surefire recommends cleaning at around 1,000 rounds, but I wanted to pull it apart for a look-see after about 250 rounds. Using the disassembly/assembly tool the end caps came off with little effort, and I was able to push the baffles out. The baffles are indeed red hard anodizing. They are numbered and keyed so reassembly was intuitive and simple.

I am very pleased with the Surefire Ryder 22-A, but I did go back in September and order a Huntertown Guardian 22 so once it gets in I'll be able to do a side by side comparison.

I sent the forms and check off on August 9th, 2014 and received the call from the dealer December 5th.

- change it back -
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Re: Surefire Ryder 22-A

Post by Fireman1291 »

Thanks for the writeup! 8)
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
LittleLebowski

Post by LittleLebowski »

Very much appreciate the time you took to write it up. I still prefer written reviews.
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

Thanks, can't wait to see the side by side review.