SilencerTalk

Sound Suppressor Discussion
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:56 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 9:00 pm 

Hello,
I need your expertise! I am getting ready to purchase my first suppressor and only knowledge I have is looking at YouTube videos so I like the Obsidian rugged suppressor. I called up to the silencer shop and a gentleman told me about the Griffin resolution 9. I guess it all boils down to the suppressed ammo that you put in the weapon. I looked at it video by twang and bang on the Obsidian and it seems to be the quietest.

Can you guys give me a hand with this any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

BulletFlight for Android
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:39 pm 
Senior Silent Operator

i've got no experience with either of those cans, but i have an SWR can from way back and would have no problems buying anything Rugged. in fact, the obsidian 9/45 is the next can i'm going to buy.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 pm 

Rugged obsidian all the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:04 pm 

Deserteaglexxx wrote:
Rugged obsidian all the way.

+1 for the Rugged Obsidian !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:14 am 
Silent But Deadly

I’d say the griffin.
Several reasons.
It uses 7075 t6 for the tube which is much better than 6061 aluminum.
Griffin is a more established company than rugged suppressors
It is rated for more calibers and at fairly short barrels even if you do have to wait to cool after 7 rounds.
There are many accessories for it, including an 17-4 expansion chamber/adapter which allows you to fire rifle calibers at shorter barrels or greater number of rounds or larger more powerful calibers that goes onto their excellent muzzle brakes via quick detach taper system(personally I think the standard should be the sig tapered barrel idea and this should have been standard from day 1 for all thread pitches, rant over.).

In short the griffin is simply better all around, not sure if the baffles are h900 treated though, could have been beef blasted or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:52 pm 

Out of those two I'd probably go Griffin if you plan on putting in on a rifle sometimes. Overall, if I were buying a 9mm can, I'd get a CGS Kraken.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:39 pm 
Silent But Deadly

BamaBred wrote:
Out of those two I'd probably go Griffin if you plan on putting in on a rifle sometimes. Overall, if I were buying a 9mm can, I'd get a CGS Kraken.

Why would you go with baffles made from 7075 aluminum vs heat treated 17-4 stainless?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:53 am 

Hannibalbarca wrote:
BamaBred wrote:

Why would you go with baffles made from 7075 aluminum vs heat treated 17-4 stainless?

I was under the impression that the Griffin is more versatile. Am I incorrect? Also, weight could be another factor. The Obsidian is heavy. Again, I'm not sure either would be my first second or third choice. Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:24 pm 
Silent But Deadly

BamaBred wrote:
Hannibalbarca wrote:
BamaBred wrote:

I was under the impression that the Griffin is more versatile. Am I incorrect? Also, weight could be another factor. The Obsidian is heavy. Again, I'm not sure either would be my first second or third choice. Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

I was replying to you preferring to get the cgs kraken above the griffin and obsidian.
Also, the weight difference between the obisidian and Kraken is only 2.75 oz. that’s not noticeable.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:29 am 

I happen to own both just by chance and on 9mm subguns and suppressed 300Blk I give the edge to the Griffin Revo 9, and for duty size, compact, and subcompact hosts I've had better luck with the Obsidian 45 because of the larger bore diameter, it really cuts down on blowback which was a big problem in my CZ75B and still kind of was bothersome in my Glocks. Another added benefit to having a 45 can is that sometimes it has a lower tone for smaller calibers and you can use it for more calibers as well, just something to think about. I bought a 9mm can first when I never thought I'd get any larger calibers and no I have a lot of other stuff in 10mm and 45ACP so I'm glad I picked up an Obsidian as well. Both are very good quality though.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:54 pm 

Hannibalbarca wrote:
BamaBred wrote:
Hannibalbarca wrote:

I was replying to you preferring to get the cgs kraken above the griffin and obsidian.
Also, the weight difference between the obisidian and Kraken is only 2.75 oz. that’s not noticeable.

Ah. Gotcha. I like the Kraken because I'm a CGS fanboy and think they make the quietest cans out of anyone (I have their .22 can). But I don't disagree with you about the merits of SS vs. aluminum in general.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:41 pm 
Silent Operator

Theron Patron wrote:
Hello,
I need your expertise! I am getting ready to purchase my first suppressor and only knowledge I have is looking at YouTube videos so I like the Obsidian rugged suppressor. I called up to the silencer shop and a gentleman told me about the Griffin resolution 9. I guess it all boils down to the suppressed ammo that you put in the weapon. I looked at it video by twang and bang on the Obsidian and it seems to be the quietest.

Can you guys give me a hand with this any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I like my Obsidian but have always felt it has a noisy tone to it, sharper perhaps than my Octane or the AAC TiRant 45M's I have... The Tirants are light, easy to clean, modular and often not quite as expensive. I don't have a Griffin Revolution but Dustin Ellerman sure likes his.

How about the Dead Air Ghost M? supposed to be the new standard?? I have on on order but have yet to shoot one. I've always wanted a Silencerco Osprey 45. It's the quietest 9mm can I've ever shot and sounds good on .45... must be all that volume. But I just can't get past the fact you can't open it up and look at it or clean it. But then I saw Ben Affleck use one in "The Accountant" and it looked pretty cool. I've been know to buy guns and things just because of how they look.... but I'm weird like that.