Finally able to test out my W.A.R. upper receiver

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Finally able to test out my W.A.R. upper receiver

Post by Broken11B »

I bought an Innovative Arms W.A.R. (Warfighter Adjustable Receiver) upper back in September but wasn't able to test it out properly because my first rifle can was still pending. When I first inspected it, the quality of the finish was top notch. It's got an Anchor Harvey forge mark if anyone is curious. The switch that changes from unsuppressed to suppressed mode is easily accessible and it clicks and locks into place with the help of the spring in the photo below in addition to grooves on the other side. If you happen to not rotate the switch all the way, the gas is shut completely off and your rifle won't cycle. I know mid-length and carbine length gas tubes are available...not sure about pistol or rifle length. The gas tubes come with the upper and not just any gas tube will work. I don't know the difference right off hand. Everything installed easily on it.

First range report with a suppressor: I shot the first 10 rounds in unsuppressed mode to get a feel for it and then I clicked it into suppressed mode (straight up and down). I know 10 rounds isn't a lot but I didn't detect any heat on the switch like adjustable gas blocks are prone to. Once I flipped the switch, I could immediately tell a difference. The tone of my shots changed (I heard less "crack") and the recoil was reduced. I assume it dropped a decibel or two in overall noise but I have no way to measure it, but it did change for the better.

When things finally cooled off after shooting 100 rounds, I pulled the BCG and charging handle out. Instead of caked on deposits of carbon, I was really able to just wipe most the carbon "dust" off of the parts and the inside. There was more carbon dust coating the insides of the rifle, but honestly, it was easier to clean than after shooting normally and dealing with the chunks of carbon that deposit on the bolt, firing pin flats, and inside the BCG.

Overall: I'm happy. Great addition to the rifle. If anyone is interested in one, PM me, there are a few other online retailers that carry them IN STOCK besides PSA.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Finally able to test out my W.A.R. upper receiver

Post by Emilio »

Thanks for the report.

What suppressor? I was told it needing a 223 can for blowback and not 308 can.
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Broken11B
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Broken11B »

5.56 also made by Innovative. What can I say...they products aren't expensive, they meet my needs, AND they are right down the road from me. I'll probably keep buying their stuff til I need something they don't make.

I believe I read on AR15.com someone using an AAC SDN762 with no problems. I can e-mail IA if ya want me to, although I don't think the decrease in back pressure with the larger bore suppressor will be enough to keep it from cycling properly. On their website, it only says use "quality 5.56 ammo" but nothing about a dedicated caliber suppressor. I ran my handloads through it, which are not extremely hot and it did just fine. Not one stoppage of any sort.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I talk to the owner last year, very nice guy! He said at the time a 308 can may not have the blow back to be 100% and was design for 556/223 . I order a W.A.R ( in stock ) but had to cancel.

I suggest options for the gas hole sizes. His design is great idea and he is a straight talker and could have feed me BS to buy one but no!

Again thanks for the report!
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I run mine on a BCM 16" lightweight midlength gas barrel with an AAC Ranger 2 attached and it runs wolf and Brown Bear all day long on the suppressed setting. Good ejection, always locks bolt back.