AWC Abraxxas -9mm

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

kimber-45

AWC Abraxxas -9mm

Post by kimber-45 »

Does anyone have one of these and if so how does it perform?
Do you like the fact that you have to always refill it with grease?
1928A1
Silent But Deadly

Re: AWC Abraxxas -9mm

Post by 1928A1 »

kimber-45 wrote:Does anyone have one of these and if so how does it perform?
Do you like the fact that you have to always refill it with grease?
I know a guy who has one. He is not too thrilled with it. You have to use water or grease in it and then it sprays all over you. At least thats what he told me the other day.

Its incredibly light and small enought to not occlude the sight picture on your pistol. It has its merits, but for prolonged shooting I would recommend a different can.
07FFL 02 SOT
prdubi
Silent But Deadly

light

Post by prdubi »

Very light can......with the proper material it is capable fo 36 decibel sound reduction as reviewed by Al Paulson.

He used Lithium Grease and the test was nearly 5 years ago.

It's a good light can and you can still use your sights but its a wet can and you get what you pay for.

In the end, I would go with a AAC evo-9, its huge and its dry.

The Abraxas was made for very specific mission purposes and the design is over 15 years old and an update to the Warp 6 and 9 cans from AWC.

The can goes way back but it performs well.

Yes you will get splatered with stuff if you use too much but use the right amount and its not bad
sdmsdm

Post by sdmsdm »

I have an Abraxas. I have no experience with any other 9mm can.

I am please with the sound reduction, but after 1 to 1.5 G19 magazines, the sound levels increase dramatically compared to the first shot.

I do like that you can use factory sights with it and see over the top of the can. On a G19, it will lay level on a flat surface, i.e. the can is no wider than the slide. Additionally, when used with my HSGI drop leg holster, the Abraxas can be attached and easily fit in/through the holster. I image this may not necessarily be true with larger diameter suppressors.

Refilling it with grease is not necessarily fun work, but it is the cost you pay for such a small unit. If you over fill the can with grease, you will most likely get grease on you. If the can is properly filled, there is very little, if any, grease splatter.

I would not recommend this can if you intend to shoot suppressed round after round after round. The Abaxas is a nice, relatively small suppressor for the occasionally needed quiet shot.
cursal

Post by cursal »

I have one and love it. I love that i get a un-obscured sight picture with it.
I can hit pop cans at 25yrd with it, I can't do that with my evo-9.
talk to Chris at AWC about propper barrel mod. or recoil boost for reliable
function on a Glock or Browning type lock up. Iv'e given up trying to
convince some people of the virtues of the Abraxas or how to get them to run reliably. My personal expectation for pistol accuracy is I should be able to hit a man sized target out to 75yrd with or with out a can on it.
and I can't do that with an obscured sight picture.
As a tool, the Abraxas, does what it was designed to do very well.
If you compare it to something like an evo-9, you need to look at both
cans strengths and weaknesses and decide for your self.
A wet suppressor can be messy, I think most people I've talked to over fill them. I can get 20+ rounds with 5cc of wire pulling gel, and just a little water I can get me 5-7 rounds optimal suppretion. Even dry the Abraxas
quiets the shot quite a bit.

Curtis
Silent But Deadly

Post by 444 »

What does one of those cost ?
quietshooter

For real world USE its the best.....

Post by quietshooter »

Not talking about standing at a target range and putting 100 rds down range, but when you need a compact highly suppressed weapon, my titanium Abraxas on my glock 26 cant be beat. I've dispatched large pests within 25 yards of neighbors with it properly lubed and using TTI 158 fmj without being noticed. Cant keep shooting forever but one or two well placed, super quiet shots usually fill the bill. the bitch of the whole deal was getting it to cycle. Spent two months working with it till I got an engineer friend to look at it and we milled down the leading edge of the barrel / chamber block. hard to descibe but it made all the difference. If you hold the barrel in your hand and look down at it from the top, and go from the breech forward till you reach the little step where the chamber block turns into a cylinder, the barrel was chucked in a mill at a 45 degree angle and that edge was milled a little. This allowed it to unlock with less effort and makes no difference shooting with or without the can. I use the factory recoil spring.
krinkov
Senior Silent Operator

Post by krinkov »

What Baffle is used?? K?
prdubi
Silent But Deadly

asd

Post by prdubi »

Hot damn I wish I would of kept my Abraxas but I did the upgrade to the Jupiter eye.

I miss my Abraxas now...it was very small and with just the right amount of grease it was quiet to my ear.

It uses a K baffle I believe but the design was done by Finn himself when he was the AWC and then it was for a military project.

Several of them were released but one must remember that the Abraxas was first released in 1993.

It's an old design but it works very well.

The grease and materials is what is making it quieter.

I have used all kinds of stuff on mines and it made a high load of differences on it.
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

AWC Abraxxas -9mm

Post by twodollarbill »

I have owned my Abraxas for quite some time as it's threaded 1/2 x 32.
It has never failed or cause a problem. For loading with grease I use
a vet's high gauge syringe (needle dipenses out it's sides), with a light
sweeze and scrap some grease between the baffles...simple. Ussually
this can be done in less than a minute. For it's size it fit's the bill, I have
shot it side by side with a Hush-Puppy wipe can and it holds it's own with
sub-sonic ammo. Mine is mounted on a Beretta Centurian, nice compact unit.