Element 2 in hand

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Element 2 in hand

Post by aries14482 »

It's my first .22 can, though I've run a Kodiak TL and a couple of Tac 65s before.

It's quiet on a threaded Ruger MKIII/45 with CCI standard Velocity. I get some port pop with Winchester bulk pack, but it's not bad. Still subsonic.

Anyone know if a bolt weight or heavier springs have ever been made for the MKIIIs?

It works fine on my M&P 15/22 but the rifle seems like it might benefit from a stiffer spring or bolt and maybe some thin rubber at the rear of bolt travel to reduce the loud plastic "thock!" sound the rearward bolt impact makes. A modification to allow the bolt to be locked or held shut for a bolt-action-quiet shot would be nice.

I like the overall design, the tube and baffles are very thin and light but still look strong. The takedown is straightforward and I like the fact that they come with the thread-in baffle pusher tool. The only difference from other cans I've seen cleaned is that you need to wrap a section of rag around something (I used the threaded rod of the takedown tool) or just use a shotgun swab to swab the inside of the tube instead of passing a rag straight through, since the rear cap is secured.

Reassembly isn't hard. I stacked the baffles on my desk with the blast baffle on top, making sure the "holes" alternated, slipped the tube down on top of them, and threaded on the front cap. I thought it was interesting that the front baffle on the element 2 also has the 'alignment slots' cut into its front face, since the manual (which is the element 1 manual) says the front baffle can be identified by the lack of these slots. Not significant, but interesting. :)

Other than it's function, it's a pretty handsome can too.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Re: Element 2 in hand

Post by Emilio »

Thank you for the report.

Funny how AAC try to fix things,(the cap) now cleaning to tube is a pain! :(

Great pistol can and looks better on the outside but I keep the old one for the cleaning. :mrgreen:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I don't mind the cleaning method at all. It's really no more complex and can be done using the same tools, just a different method. A shotgun brush and or swab or a rag on a rod still works fine.

You could still use a rod to align the baffles if you wanted for reassembly. You just don't need tools on both ends anymore to make sure both ends are tight.

What are the tube and attachment threads made of on the Element 1?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

So all your baffles had alignment slots? Just double check and make sure.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

aries14482 wrote:I don't mind the cleaning method at all. It's really no more complex and can be done using the same tools, just a different method. A shotgun brush and or swab or a rag on a rod still works fine.

You could still use a rod to align the baffles if you wanted for reassembly. You just don't need tools on both ends anymore to make sure both ends are tight.

Stainless alloy
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

yamatitan wrote:
aries14482 wrote:I don't mind the cleaning method at all. It's really no more complex and can be done using the same tools, just a different method. A shotgun brush and or swab or a rag on a rod still works fine.

Stainless alloy
incorrect. On the element1, it varies between generations... some were a carbon steel, some were nickel-coated carbon steel, and did any end up being made in stainless? I don't know.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I was asking how the rod works with the new fixed cap?

Here is a vid of how easy to stack using old cap (no fumbling). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0KCpVygVKM

Can you do a vid of the new one? I look at the new Element and wonder why they do this!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

JasonM wrote:
yamatitan wrote:

Stainless alloy
incorrect. On the element1, it varies between generations... some were a carbon steel, some were nickel-coated carbon steel, and did any end up being made in stainless? I don't know.
Yes, I believe the first tube just steel then Nickel coating for easy cleaning now Ti. (never seen SS tube)
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

rimshaker wrote:So all your baffles had alignment slots? Just double check and make sure.
They have tabs that fit together and you align holes every other for best sound. (see vid)

The baffles "can" slip off if shaky and trying to replace without the rod so I want to see how it works now . :mrgreen:

Also I see dirt building up in the end where hard to clean because of fixed cap! :(

Look to me AAC "TRY" to fix a problem by making another. People complain about the end cap staying on the barrel when taking the older Element off but most of this is from dirty threads and girly fingers. :mrgreen:

The Element is still one sweet pistol can but AAC need to think more and use less band aids.(like the 51-90 tooth mounting system) a lock would have fixed all the drama! :mrgreen:
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Looking at the youtube vid of the Element 1, I noticed the baffles on the Element 2 are different.

The tabs are on the 'rear' of each baffle instead of being on the 'front.' The blast baffle is also significantly different from the original and can not be accidentally interchanged with the other baffles.

Finally, there is a seem at the rear end of the can. I rather suspect that it is threaded, but has some locking compound applied to prevent removal.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

JasonM wrote:
yamatitan wrote:

Stainless alloy
Hmm you may be right its been 5 years since I bought mine but could have sworn it was stainless. But thinking back I remeber it wasnt safe to dip so.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Emilio wrote: I was asking how the rod works with the new fixed cap?
Sorry, I may have spoken too soon. AAC includes the threaded disassembly tool with the element 2 and not the alignment rod. I thought for a moment that the threaded tool might be used as an alignment tool, but found that the shaft is too large in diameter. I honestly haven't found it necessary. I stack the baffles up with the blast baffle on top, press the tube down over the stack, and thread the front cap on. Done.

ETA: I'll try and get some pics and maybe a vid if I can find someone with a better recording quality than my digital camera offers.
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

Tagged for more information. I'm considering buying an Element2 here soon, and I wanna try to find as much info about it before I pull the trigger. Am I understanding that on the original Element, you could take both endcaps off, but you CANNOT take both off on the Element2?
"I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use it." - Matthew Quigley

Keep your powder dry. Molon labe!
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Just found out yesterday that you can remove the rear cap on the can. I had assumed it was meant to be permanently or semi-permanently attached.

Mine unscrewed a little from the endcap while attached to the pistol the other day, while trying to remove the can. I had the can just a little too tight and let it sit for a while before removing it after shooting a few mags. The shape of the threaded rear cap made it easy to get enough grip by hand to remove the can from the weapon, once I focused on gripping there instead of the whole body of the can.

I'm pleased that the rear cap can, in fact, be removed for cleaning if necessary.
FSCJedi
Silent But Deadly

Post by FSCJedi »

aries14482 wrote:Just found out yesterday that you can remove the rear cap on the can. I had assumed it was meant to be permanently or semi-permanently attached.

Mine unscrewed a little from the endcap while attached to the pistol the other day, while trying to remove the can. I had the can just a little too tight and let it sit for a while before removing it after shooting a few mags. The shape of the threaded rear cap made it easy to get enough grip by hand to remove the can from the weapon, once I focused on gripping there instead of the whole body of the can.

I'm pleased that the rear cap can, in fact, be removed for cleaning if necessary.
Good to know.
"I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use it." - Matthew Quigley

Keep your powder dry. Molon labe!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

aries14482 wrote:Just found out yesterday that you can remove the rear cap on the can. I had assumed it was meant to be permanently or semi-permanently attached.

Ahhhhh, very good. :D I did not try when I hold one but the new one sure looks better.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

You know, I honestly think they changed the can JUST to get rid of the Pipe Bomb look. It makes sense: They changed the tube from steel to titanium and made the OD uniform to maintain roughly the same overall weight.

It is a sharp looking can!

I've noticed the CCI Standard Velocity never has issues with port pop in my Ruger 22/45, whereas some of the cheap bulk pack seems to. Holding the bolt shut with fingers eliminates it. I think I'll look into a Wolff "+" power recoil spring.

I know my S&W 15/22 rifle could definitely use a stiffer spring. That thing has loud port pop and could use something to reduce the plasticy "shclocking" sound the bolt makes when fired too. That might be part of the design cost of having it run pretty much every .22 ammo on the planet flawlessly- softer recoil spring.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I tried the can wet on my Ruger 22/45 4.5" barrel with CCI standard velocity. Holding the bolt shut with my thumb, it was quieter than a pellet gun. I really didn't expect such a drastic increase in performance wet vs dry, but there it is.

I also tried a friend's Osprey 9 on my PPQ dry and then wet and was very surprised at the perceived difference. It sounded much more quiet than the numbers seem to account for.

I honestly didn't expect much of a difference on either can, since they're both the current top end. I enjoyed it so much I think I'll shoot the Element 2 wet more often.

I've come to the conclusion that including the once optional takedown tool in lieu of the old reassembly tool/design was a good move. Having cleaned the can three times now, I have absolutely no trouble stacking the baffles on the ground with the blast baffle on top and then pressing the tube down over them.

I've also realized that cleaning K baffles with a bronze brush takes a very long time, even when you aren't being picky and are leaving build up behind on stubborn areas like the face of the blast baffle. There's a reason people like to be able to use an ultra sonic cleaner on baffles! I'll definitely be adding one to my short list.