Best 50 cal suppressor?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

jhargiss1

Best 50 cal suppressor?

Post by jhargiss1 »

Looking for a good 50 cal suppressor. It will be used for a swat sniper bolt gun application. What's your thoughts on the one to go with?

Thanks
Jhargiss
Scared_of_zombies
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best 50 cal suppressor?

Post by Scared_of_zombies »

jhargiss1 wrote:Looking for a good 50 cal suppressor. It will be used for a swat sniper bolt gun application. What's your thoughts on the one to go with?

Thanks
Jhargiss
What's your budget?
jhargiss1

Post by jhargiss1 »

Not really one! It's the departments money! They will want to see comparisons though.
Mark K.
Silent Operator

Elite Iron Alpha

Post by Mark K. »

I like my Elite Iron Alpha on my Barrett M-99. it does increase the recoil, but the boom is gone... :-)
Have fun, Shoot safe!
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Curious what DEPT. and what are you going to use a .50 with suppression for . I mean that's cool. I guess material destruction could be a use. I use a M99A1 with a older John's Guns suppressor build for the M82A1 but it works for the M99 also. It will increase the recoil as others have said but it will hide the shooter and take some of the pain of noise away. I have shot the Raufoss Mk 211 out of it but don't make a habit out of doing that to often. I heard a baffle strike would be less than fun. Also I was told NOT to shoot tracers out of the Suppressor. I did one by accident and there was no damage but I could see the potential of it.

But pretty much all .50's with suppressors sound close to the same that I have heard. But if you have unlimited funds I would go with the AAC or Elite iron they are just better built.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

AAC .
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

AAC Cyclops
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

AAC CYCLOPS™
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
Irishpride
Silent Operator

Post by Irishpride »

AAC Cyclops!!!!!!
B&H Gun Sales
Merritt Island, FL
FFL, SOT Class 3 Dealer and LE MIlitary Distributer
[email protected]
(Facebook) B&H Gun Sales
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

JasonM wrote:AAC CYCLOPS™
Yes!!!
twodollarbill
Silent But Deadly

Post by twodollarbill »

M40A1308M wrote:Curious what DEPT. and what are you going to use a .50 with suppression for . I mean that's cool. I guess material destruction could be a use. I use a M99A1 with a older John's Guns suppressor build for the M82A1 but it works for the M99 also. It will increase the recoil as others have said but it will hide the shooter and take some of the pain of noise away. I have shot the Raufoss Mk 211 out of it but don't make a habit out of doing that to often. I heard a baffle strike would be less than fun. Also I was told NOT to shoot tracers out of the Suppressor. I did one by accident and there was no damage but I could see the potential of it.

But pretty much all .50's with suppressors sound close to the same that I have heard. But if you have unlimited funds I would go with the AAC or Elite iron they are just better built.
I don't have a John's....mine are newer AAC and an older AWC.
Both are for sh*t on my Barrett 82's....with patterns all over the place.
But on the 99, both are very accurate and a pleasure to shoot.
tazaroo

Post by tazaroo »

I've been in law enforcement for over 20 years (still working) and you can call me "old school" but I can't see ANY reason why the police would need to have a .50 BMG rifle? I can come up with many hypotheticals but there will always be the threat of over penetration with a .50 BMG even with ball ammo. The largest rifle our snipers have is chambered in 7.62 NATO. They wanted .338 Lapua but then again there was the question of over penetration and the idea was shot down.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

For shooting through barricades, disabling armored or reinforced vehicles, taking out bad guys through thick or reinforced glass, yeah there is a danger with over penetration, just make sure that the background is clear.
kassenz
Silent But Deadly

Post by kassenz »

whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

After looking at the Barrett Suppressor, why not ask AAC to make a custom Cyclops can with the final chamber vented upward at 60* angle from vertical (like V8 engine)? Barrett claims 23dB reduction and AAC 32dB. Of course anyone can make any claim, so your Dept would have to require testing docs.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

Kramer wrote:For shooting through barricades, disabling armored or reinforced vehicles, taking out bad guys through thick or reinforced glass, yeah there is a danger with over penetration, just make sure that the background is clear.
Detonating explosives from range without exposing ones self to the danger area....
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I'm sure bomb disposal units might have something to say about that in a domestic PD. Look a 50 is a hell of allot of fun but not one DEPT that I know of has one except in CALIFORNIA and they dropped those once they could not get service from Barrett {GOOD FOR YOU Barrett!!!} Vehicle stoppage is the only use and you have to place a good shot to accomplish this and if the vehicle is moving, well lets just see you do that with out endangering others in a urban environment.

I assume the original poster either wished for his PD to get this and questioned or you know wanted to look cool. But I think everyone should own a 50 cal just because it is that cool. But suppressed .50cal is just a novelty in a civilian market and the only use you could possibly for actual tactical use is to hide the shooter in a extreme long rang action. { I.E the military}. My opinion .
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

M40A1308M wrote:I'm sure bomb disposal units might have something to say about that in a domestic PD. Look a 50 is a hell of allot of fun but not one DEPT that I know of has one except in CALIFORNIA and they dropped those once they could not get service from Barrett {GOOD FOR YOU Barrett!!!} Vehicle stoppage is the only use and you have to place a good shot to accomplish this and if the vehicle is moving, well lets just see you do that with out endangering others in a urban environment.
Many TX Counties own them. Montgomery, Liberty, Harris, Ft Bend, etc.

Counties w/o a specialty (negotiator, markmen, swat, dive team, mounted rescue, etc) call for assistance from neighboring counties.

Plus, we in the Houston Area can call DHS, DEA, ATF, FBI, ICE, etc if we decide that we could use help and the Activity in ? has any Fed aspect.

Post 2001 Fed $ and military equipment was running in the streets. There for the asking.

Now, US Attny Gen is running guns to International Drug Cartels, yet arresting LEOs for enforcing the Law. ?!?!
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

If all these PD's own them what is there main use? If a PD owns one I suspect its for budget elevation as to keep the budget as the same as it has been so they might buy one not as a necessity for use but one so the cash keeps flowing. But also maybe there would be a use for one in areas that could need material destruction. But I doubt bomb {as in suspicious package in a school parking lot} disposal is one unless they transport the device off site then maybe. But if the device is made half way badly then the 50 cal round could damage that key component for forensic evidence. Just a thought I could be wrong :].
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

jhargiss1 wrote:Not really one! It's the departments money! They will want to see comparisons though.
No it's the TAXPAYER's money.
M40A1308M wrote:If all these PD's own them what is there main use? If a PD owns one I suspect its for budget elevation as to keep the budget as the same as it has been so they might buy one not as a necessity for use but one so the cash keeps flowing. But also maybe there would be a use for one in areas that could need material destruction. But I doubt bomb {as in suspicious package in a school parking lot} disposal is one unless they transport the device off site then maybe. But if the device is made half way badly then the 50 cal round could damage that key component for forensic evidence. Just a thought I could be wrong :].
No, it's for shooting REALLY BIG dogs. Silly, don't ever question the need for the police to become hyper militarized jack booted skull smashers. Don't worry about mishandled SWAT raids or collateral damage! It's for the chirrens! Yay chirrens! More tax money for YOU BC WE SO SCARED! :cry:
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

M40A1308M, you are correct. We don't detonate bombs w bullets. We would use an initiator charge to trigger the explosion if the device couldn't be moved. We've done this a few times for Meth Labs.

I'm not really sure why we don't bury it in concrete like Chernobyl; instead of scattering HazMat materials, as that's ostensibly the reason the Lab must be destroyed. I'm just a silly patrolman that rose to being a Desk Sargeant. I mainly conduct classes or review reports to insure that they meet minimum standards.
DoctorSolo wrote:
jhargiss1 wrote:Not really one! It's the departments money! They will want to see comparisons though.
No it's the TAXPAYER's money.

... it's for shooting REALLY BIG dogs. Silly, don't ever question the need for the police to become hyper militarized jack booted skull smashers. Don't worry about mishandled SWAT raids or collateral damage! It's for the chirrens! Yay chirrens! More tax money for YOU BC WE SO SCARED! :cry:
Taxpayers' money? You sir, must WORK for a living. Remember, You didn't build that bridge. You paid a corrupt group of polititions to pad a bloated Budget and demand kickbacks from the Comp that got the contract.

Please keep working. Millions of us in Gov't service or on welfare depend on you.
-----------------------
The .50 is for murdering unarmed mothers who are holding their newborn infant. (Vicki Weaver @ Ruby Ridge, Aug1992) If we have to get close enough that our victims can defend themselves, that just wouldn't be any Fun.

"A target just too good to pass." Image
Here in Texas we receive neither civil NOR criminal immunity. At Waco the DPS refused to lie during negotiations. Thought that it would be a bad precident. So, DC ordered ATF/FBI to burn the children alive, to "protect" them from themselves.

These are JUST the people that I want deciding what healthcare I'm allowed, what I'm allowed/compelled to say, and what I'm able to do or own in private. (?)
-Edit to add photo-
Last edited by whiterussian1974 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Now that I got my vitriol out, a serious answer.

Each State has separate laws and each County has its own Liability and Public Profiles based upon actual cases in the area's history.

Around Houston, our policies include using a .50BMG w thermal optic to engage barricaded suspects that "pose an immenent threat to themselves or others." This means: someone who is holding children hostage during a standoff; abusing hostages; or poses a threat to an entry team (such as class IV armor plates, command detonated boobytraps, etc).

Each situation is different and only an on site commander can make a decission. We don't have County Attorneys dictating to on site cmdr. in real-time. They must draw up Guidelines based on prior cases. Charles Whitman in University of Texas at Austin-Clocktower remains in the minds of many.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Wow a .50 with thermal now that's what I call over kill in a standoff situation. Her is the way your suspect hiding behind IV armour plating with children would end up. ALL DEAD yes ALL due to the fact the bullet crashing thru Armour plate would then send multi high speed projectiles in all directions pretty much killing everyone in a 10 foot radius. NOT smart. So I guess if that PD likes to clean up human remains and get a political S**T storm then the .50 is the way to go. :) Now if its just some suspect by him or her self yes ok I could see the use. But trying to get everyone out alive including the idiot is first priority I would guess.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

.50 isn't that bad unless you are using raufuss. Its NO mystical round that will take your arm off just by passing within 3 feet of you (we have all heard the BS stories). I know a guy that hunted javellina with a .50 BMG. He told me that it leaves a quarter size hole going in and a quarter size hole going out and all bets are off if you hit bone.

Depending on types of ammo and platform you are going to use has various impacts on what you are trying to do. I wouldn't recommend its use in any urban scenarios unless you have a 1/2" or better AR500 back stop and are using ball or equivelant. Barns makes some 647grn solids for hunting or you could look at Lehigh. Good luck and I would suggest looking at AAC IMO.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

This fall I shot the current Knight's silencer on the Barrett Semi auto 50. It turned a noisy soft shooting gun, into a less noisy donkey kicking beast that I would never want to shoot again.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.