Best 50 cal suppressor?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best 50 cal suppressor?

Post by delta9mda »

tazaroo wrote:I've been in law enforcement for over 20 years (still working) and you can call me "old school" but I can't see ANY reason why the police would need to have a .50 BMG rifle? I can come up with many hypotheticals but there will always be the threat of over penetration with a .50 BMG even with ball ammo. The largest rifle our snipers have is chambered in 7.62 NATO. They wanted .338 Lapua but then again there was the question of over penetration and the idea was shot down.
anti terrorism is the reason. :D now if its reallly needed that is another question.
NP
ammowaster

Post by ammowaster »

Really wish this market was bigger. One of the reasons I stopped shooting my 50's years ago was the noise gets annoying after a while. I am back in the 50 game and really looking at cans. The AAC seems to be the most recommended. Would love to shoot one but have never seen a suppressed 50 in person.
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

The AAC is the quietest can I have shot on a .50. You might also check out the Barrett QDL suppressor. I was pretty skeptical of the looks of it at first, but it's actually pretty effective. It isn't as quiet as the AAC to my ears, but the brake at the end of the suppressor really does help reduce recoil, noticeably so.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

M40A1308M wrote:I'm sure bomb disposal units might have something to say about that in a domestic PD. Look a 50 is a hell of allot of fun but not one DEPT that I know of has one except in CALIFORNIA and they dropped those once they could not get service from Barrett {GOOD FOR YOU Barrett!!!} Vehicle stoppage is the only use and you have to place a good shot to accomplish this and if the vehicle is moving, well lets just see you do that with out endangering others in a urban environment.
A considerable bit of the risk would be mitigated by shooting from a high angled position--misses and pass through go into the ground.
I assume the original poster either wished for his PD to get this and questioned or you know wanted to look cool. But I think everyone should own a 50 cal just because it is that cool. But suppressed .50cal is just a novelty in a civilian market and the only use you could possibly for actual tactical use is to hide the shooter in a extreme long rang action. { I.E the military}. My opinion .
OR to be able to shoot it without going deaf and/or suffering other physical ills from the blast. Being behind or next to a 50 is NOT pleasant. Add any hard surface or partial enclosure and it's even worse. If I needed a 50 in any professional or otherwise frequent capacity, there's no way I wouldn't expect a can as essential equipment.
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net