SRT Arms Intergrally Suppressed MKIII Government Model HD vd

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

SRT Arms Intergrally Suppressed MKIII Government Model HD vd

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Another Weapon Review from O'Neill Ops, this time we bring you the Integrally suppressed Ruger MKIII Government model, from Doug Melton of SRT Arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fx3ZiHu7QU
Respect is earned through strength, weakness invites aggression.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Re: SRT Arms Intergrally Suppressed MKIII Government Model H

Post by rogerme »

As soon as the well we got this super kewl 115db version but the civilians get the longer louder one it lost me..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

rogerme wrote:As soon as the well we got this super kewl 115db version but the civilians get the longer louder one it lost me..
Don't let that detour you buddy, I'm non military, just a dealer... I forgot to add in this video it IS available to civilians as well, you just need to acquire the Ruger MKIII stainless and definitely mention it with your order....
MODS, sorry for the double, triple, quad posts, feel free to delete them, I didn't realize I was posting a new subject every time I tried to embed the video so it would show a picture link instead of just the link!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Can you take it apart to clean the baffles or does it need to be jailbroken like his other integrals?
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

O'Neill Ops wrote:
rogerme wrote:As soon as the well we got this super kewl 115db version but the civilians get the longer louder one it lost me..
Don't let that detour you buddy, I'm non military, just a dealer... I forgot to add in this video it IS available to civilians as well, you just need to acquire the Ruger MKIII stainless and definitely mention it with your order....
MODS, sorry for the double, triple, quad posts, feel free to delete them, I didn't realize I was posting a new subject every time I tried to embed the video so it would show a picture link instead of just the link!
Three questions then. First if this one works why make the other one that is not as good? Second as Bender asked is it user serviceable I did not ask this first as form the vid it seemed I was not allowed to buy one. Last so this is only done on the customer's gun?
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Bendersquint wrote:Can you take it apart to clean the baffles or does it need to be jailbroken like his other integrals?
5K round service life... then you better start thinking of sending it in for cleaning...
rogerme wrote: Three questions then. First if this one works why make the other one that is not as good? Second as Bender asked is it user serviceable I did not ask this first as form the vid it seemed I was not allowed to buy one. Last so this is only done on the customer's gun?
the civilian model is good, and I'm sure SRT has their reasons, marketing and price being a couple... yes, you need to supply the Ruger MKIII... Doug is a great guy to work with, any ?'s you have, he can answer.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

A resounding WOW! Excellent presentation.
Excellent design. Effective. Compelling.

I must admit that this is the first in 55 years when
I shot a Ruger that I would consider adding this platform to the collection.

Truth in lending: from the first time I held my S&W M41 I divested myself
of all the other rimfires, e.g, Browning Medalist & Nomad, Hi-Standard HD, Ruger.

Question to my brethren, e.g., Fireman, anyone have accurate sound ratings for M41
on say a Bully Barrel for comparison with SRT's?

"Sounds quiet like others" is not too convincing. :)

Again, my earnest congratulations to Doug Melton of SRT Arms for a compelling
design, execution, and arm.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

Thank you for the down range portion of the vid.

It'd be interesting to hear that against a MK2/3 with a Spector / Sparrow / Kodiak.

Any FRP?

Sure do wish Doug would make that and his Cheyenne XXL in a take apart version (hint). He makes good stuff (have had a .30 cal from him for some time), but I do think the market is driving the trend in take apart rimfire cans.
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

I'm always disappointed in the review when they have to hide the sound of the suppressor by hitting a steal plate
Last edited by zevdogs on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
.300WinMag
Silent But Deadly

Post by .300WinMag »

You know he isn't the manufacturer - right?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

.300WinMag wrote:You know he isn't the manufacturer - right?
+1

O'Neill is just a dealer doing a review!
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Not bad man! Looks like a good design. The only thing I don't like is the lack of user take down. I hate the idea of sending a pistol to a manufacturer every 5000 rounds.

For the attention span impaired, the civilian model appears to be longer because it has a longer barrel to allow it to cycle subsonic ammo. The military version was made to function with the (extremely specific) spec-required ammo, which in this case was CCI mini mags. They even specified the lot number they wanted it to work with. The military version will only function with hot-loaded .22 like mini mags, but it's an inch shorter.

I liked the target perspective video. That's something I saw first in one of Fireman's vids and I'd like to see it become standard in suppressor reviews. I'd also like to see an additional perspective 100 yards to the right or left of the target.

My only criticism would be to try to avoid looking at the weapon and turning it over in your hands while talking about it. Just a little director's advice. ;)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

aries14482 wrote:Not bad man! Looks like a good design. The only thing I don't like is the lack of user take down. I hate the idea of sending a pistol to a manufacturer every 5000 rounds.

For the attention span impaired, the civilian model appears to be longer because it has a longer barrel to allow it to cycle subsonic ammo. The military version was made to function with the (extremely specific) spec-required ammo, which in this case was CCI mini mags. They even specified the lot number they wanted it to work with. The military version will only function with hot-loaded .22 like mini mags, but it's an inch shorter.

I liked the target perspective video. That's something I saw first in one of Fireman's vids and I'd like to see it become standard in suppressor reviews. I'd also like to see an additional perspective 100 yards to the right or left of the target.

My only criticism would be to try to avoid looking at the weapon and turning it over in your hands while talking about it. Just a little director's advice. ;)
They specified the lot number for development? I have NEVER heard or seen a .gov requirement like that, because then when the lot is gone........have anything to back that claim?

Mini-Mag is now considered a hot loaded .22lr? :shock:
zevdogs
Silent But Deadly

Post by zevdogs »

.300WinMag wrote:You know he isn't the manufacturer - right?
Sorry I meant to say review
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

aries14482 wrote:For the attention span impaired, the civilian model appears to be longer because it has a longer barrel to allow it to cycle subsonic ammo.
The "civilian" model has a ported barrel that you are recommended to use supersonic ammo to get the best performance, NOT subsonic ammo.

Unless Doug changed the design in the last few months.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Bendersquint wrote:
aries14482 wrote:Not bad man! Looks like a good design. The only thing I don't like is the lack of user take down. I hate the idea of sending a pistol to a manufacturer every 5000 rounds.

They specified the lot number for development? I have NEVER heard or seen a .gov requirement like that, because then when the lot is gone........have anything to back that claim?

Mini-Mag is now considered a hot loaded .22lr? :shock:
The actor misspoke. "0030" is CCI's catalog/part number for the Mini-Mag 40gn HV RN load, not the lot number.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

eric10mm wrote:The actor misspoke. "0030" is CCI's catalog/part number for the Mini-Mag 40gn HV RN load, not the lot number.
That makes alot more sense....had me looking through all my .gov requirements to see what others had a lot requirement.
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

zevdogs wrote:I'm always disappointed in the review when they have to hide the sound of the suppressor by hitting a steal plate
I know... It always sucks when you can hear the steel ring over the gun shot.
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Bendersquint wrote:
eric10mm wrote:The actor misspoke. "0030" is CCI's catalog/part number for the Mini-Mag 40gn HV RN load, not the lot number.
That makes alot more sense....had me looking through all my .gov requirements to see what others had a lot requirement.
as per CCI's website link...
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0030
LOAD/Part# would of been better, I'll blame that on my acting skills, not my references to reloading... load/batch/lot... loaded 22LR ammo is different than a LOT# of powder, in that you may buy a couple or a few 1lb containers of H4350 with the same lot# so your don't need to re-chrono after your finished with one batch, and move to the next...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

O'Neill Ops wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
as per CCI's website link...
http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/ ... oadNo=0030
LOAD/Part# would of been better, I'll blame that on my acting skills, not my references to reloading... load/batch/lot... loaded 22LR ammo is different than a LOT# of powder, in that you may buy a couple or a few 1lb containers of H4350 with the same lot# so your don't need to re-chrono after your finished with one batch, and move to the next...
You chrony based on the lot? :shock:

I have never chronied once the load is developed unless my location changes. Haven't noticed any accuracy differences either. Maybe I should do that and see if the speeds are different. Hmmph.
O'Neill Ops
Silent But Deadly

Post by O'Neill Ops »

Bendersquint wrote: You chrony based on the lot? :shock:

I have never chronied once the load is developed unless my location changes. Haven't noticed any accuracy differences either. Maybe I should do that and see if the speeds are different. Hmmph.
Yes sir... each "lot" I re-chrono... I actually find that more valuable for the locations I shoot since my elevation only varies 1K feet (and obviously with the change in location you got to re-eval all your variables anyway, depending how far of a location change), which is an easy adjustment... especially shooting 1K-2500yds.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Sorry Bender. Regarding the lot number, I was repeating what o'neil stated in his video. It is indeed CCI's "part number" for their mini-mags. One of the above posters made comments about not being able to buy the military version or some such, obviously not having watched the whole video. It appeared to me, based on what was stated in the video, that the military version of the pistol was meant for use with mini-mags and full powered .22lr ammo, while the "civilain" version was an inch longer and would cycle subsonic ammo. This seemed likely to me to indicate that the "civilian" version had a longer barrel, making the unit longer. Reports on this forum featureing ruger .22 pistols with the barrels chopped back to the frame were the inspiration for this logic.

Finally, I confused CCI mini-mags for CCI stingers. The stingers are the hot, 1600fps, rounds. Whoops. :mrgreen:
rancilio

Post by rancilio »

I have not been able to tell a difference between gov or civ versions with just ears.
A southern Arizona SOT - www.quiettimesports.com
Danomite45
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Danomite45 »

I have had a SRT arms Professional for many years now, and it is an awesome firearm. I have the 7.1" version. It will shoot ANY .22LR round from subsonics, to supersonics without an issue, which was my main reason to purchase an SRT. Okay, so it won't cycle CB or colibri rounds. I prefer to shoot the 60 grain SSS subsonic rounds, as they hit harder.
The suppressor will screw off of the barrel, after removing the set screw on the bottom. This will allow you to clean the first blast baffle expansion chamber, where most of the buildup will be. I assume this new version will take apart in a similar manner.
hope this helps.
Danomite
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Danomite45 wrote:I have had a SRT arms Professional for many years now, and it is an awesome firearm. I have the 7.1" version. It will shoot ANY .22LR round from subsonics, to supersonics without an issue, which was my main reason to purchase an SRT. Okay, so it won't cycle CB or colibri rounds. I prefer to shoot the 60 grain SSS subsonic rounds, as they hit harder.
The suppressor will screw off of the barrel, after removing the set screw on the bottom. This will allow you to clean the first blast baffle expansion chamber, where most of the buildup will be. I assume this new version will take apart in a similar manner.
hope this helps.
Danomite
In my experience with servicing SRT suppressors most of the buildup is on the 2d and 3rd baffles in the stack. You really should be able to clean the entire suppressor, I don't know why Doug won't sell them user serviceable. At least he offers the cleaning service for those that do not wish to have them jailbroken.