Ops Inc., Ron Allen and the M4-S

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Ops Inc., Ron Allen and the M4-S

Post by dan9591 »

So I bought a can from Ops Inc. 03-2013. The form 3 went pending 06-26-2013. It is still not approved.

I know there is something going on with Ops Inc. and while I really like them, I can’t justify the wait any longer.

The specific can is the 3rd model M4-S: http://opsinc.us/suppressors/M4-S.html.

It’s not a super quiet can, I know, so please no “you can do better” responses. I need this can to fill a very specific role. I really like this specific can because it is expressly designed for the 11.5” colt and its reflex design backs right up to the FSB, making is super short and bringing the weight as far back as possible.

I know Ron Allen, who used to be connected with Ops Inc., has branched off of Ops Inc and started Allen Engineering where he is making pretty much the identical cans. However, he is not yet making a can similar to the M4-S.

Even if he does, I do not want to wait for the manufacturing process, additional form 3, etc.

Is there anyone else that makes a can similar to the M4-S? Specifically made for the 11.5” barrel colt with a super short OAL? Again, not looking for ultimate suppression… just enough to take the bark out…
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ops Inc., Ron Allen and the M4-S

Post by JasonM »

I don't really understand your question… you bought the can and it's already in the transfer process to you (form 4)?

if so, and it went pending in June, you've still got until Feb, maybe March before you get approval.

If you're upset at this wait, you can buy a new can now, but you won't get it until at least next August.

There are no other cans exactly setup like the M4-S.

Close-ish options could be the AAC MINI4, Surefire Mini, and similar.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

pm sent.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

All the other options are SIGNIFICANTLY more money than the M4-S if that matters to you. I have a surefire mini being transferred now, but the Ops was my first choice based on price/value. Just so happens I found a mini (pre-socom mini) local to me for $400 while waiting for the m4s to become available again and couldn't pass up a $1200 can for that price.

By pending form 3 do you mean form 4? I didn't think F3 went pending. Was the can in stock when you ordered/who did you order it from? Only place I ever saw the m4s available from was Adco, and they usually went out of stock before I bothered to order one. I think over 2-3 years they had them in stock twice.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

The op's second sentence nailed it.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

JasonM wrote:I don't really understand your question… you bought the can and it's already in the transfer process to you (form 4)?

if so, and it went pending in June, you've still got until Feb, maybe March before you get approval.

If you're upset at this wait, you can buy a new can now, but you won't get it until at least next August.

No, the form 3 has been pending since June. I already submitted the form 4 and they have already received it. They are sitting on it until (if?) the form 3 clears.

The wait is not the issue. The issue is that I have a gut feeling that there is more going on than I can see...
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

jt526 wrote:All the other options are SIGNIFICANTLY more money than the M4-S if that matters to you. I have a surefire mini being transferred now, but the Ops was my first choice based on price/value. Just so happens I found a mini (pre-socom mini) local to me for $400 while waiting for the m4s to become available again and couldn't pass up a $1200 can for that price.

By pending form 3 do you mean form 4? I didn't think F3 went pending. Was the can in stock when you ordered/who did you order it from? Only place I ever saw the m4s available from was Adco, and they usually went out of stock before I bothered to order one. I think over 2-3 years they had them in stock twice.
Money isn't the concern. I want this can because it is so compact.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Good luck.
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

dan9591 wrote:
JasonM wrote:I don't really understand your question… you bought the can and it's already in the transfer process to you (form 4)?

No, the form 3 has been pending since June. I already submitted the form 4 and they have already received it. They are sitting on it until (if?) the form 3 clears.

The wait is not the issue. The issue is that I have a gut feeling that there is more going on than I can see...
Gotcha, well, that does suck. If possible, i'd move on too.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

If it makes you feel any better I've had similar issues happen with my form 3's. The companies involved were Thompson Machine direct, Liberty direct and Accusport. There were two different dealers involved. So no single point of failure (other than ATF) is possible. Whatever causing form 3 problems appears to be a systemic issue. It's one of the reasons why I shop through silencershop right now. And even silencershop has had problems with some of their form 3's. It's why they didn't have sparrows in stock for such a long time. I refuse to do another paper form 3 if at all possible. I've had 4 bad experiences with it.

I understand your desire to cut loose. Believe me I've been there multiple times. But if you really want the can my advice to you is to wait another month or two. My form 3 delays were about 6 months.

See if you can talk to the dealer & company and get tracking #'s on the form 3.
Last edited by wacki on Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Given that you chose to PM him and stressed the 2nd sentence I'll read that there is something you know but don't want to make public.

It's unfortunate to hear that a widely respected company may be having issues. I hope it gets resolved.

Thanks,
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

Thought I'd give you guys an update on this... Form 3 still pending. Over 6 months. I asked for and received a refund. According to ops, the state of California is giving him grief. They claim that they are nit allowed to sell to civilians or some such nonsense

If this is true, It's a real shame and I really hope ops gets through this soon and starts selling again, but it looks like they are being red taped to death... I hope this isn't going to turn into a new method of government "regulation". We should be watching this one closely...
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

Glad to hear it was taken care of.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Your BS meter may need adjustment. There is a back-story but it's not the GOVT.

Hat's off to Ron for his professional attitude. Buy from him if/when you are able.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Lol. Reorder from Ron and move on.
k31user
Industry Professional

Post by k31user »

After 7 months and 8 days I can finally say that I would be happy to make you a short suppressor.
RonA