How do I silence a .40 9mm a 6.8 and 5.56?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

jurquhart01

How do I silence a .40 9mm a 6.8 and 5.56?

Post by jurquhart01 »

I have 4 calibers but I'm trying to buy as few silencers as possible to get the job done. Any suggestions I'm a total newbie?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: How do I silence a .40 9mm a 6.8 and 5.56?

Post by Bendersquint »

Buy a 45ACP can for the pistol cartridges.
Buy a .308 can for the rifle cartridges.
Buy a 22lr can because even if you don't want one now when you hear a 22lr suppressed you will want one.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Liberty Mystic can do all except the 40. Even full power 556 at slow rates of fire. It's a perfect first can. Most versatile in the market.

http://libertycans.net/mystic/
Last edited by rimshaker on Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STL/N.E.R.D.S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by STL/N.E.R.D.S. »

Sage advise from Bender
jurquhart01

Post by jurquhart01 »

thanks for the replys. I know this has been asked a billion times but any recommendations on the cans that works good for the intented calibers but don't break the bank?
Another question is the recommended cans for silencing the handguns I have which are a 9mm and a .40 cal is one for a .45. Does this decrease the effectiveness of the suppressor in any way since it is larger than the caliber I am shooting? Same question for the 7.62 can in regards to 6.8 and 5.56?
How quiet does a 5.56 or 6.8 get with a can in comparison to a 300 Blackout? I'm assuming I can use the 7.62 can for this caliber as well if I decide to get a 300 Blackout upper?
Thanks so much guys there is just so much info out there so thanks for baring with me on the newbie questions.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

There's going to be slight sound differences (loudness and tone) when shooting subcalibers through 45 and 762 cans. It also depends on several factors like the host, the quality of the silencer, the ammo, and how good your hearing is. Personally i'm ok with giving up a few dB of performance for the added caliber versatility and reduced cost of owning just a few cans.

No centerfire rifle caliber is as quiet as subsonic 300 BLK. Depending on the setup, they can be almost as quiet as suppressed 22LR.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

rimshaker wrote:There's going to be slight sound differences (loudness and tone) when shooting subcalibers through 45 and 762 cans. It also depends on several factors like the host, the quality of the silencer, the ammo, and how good your hearing is. Personally i'm ok with giving up a few dB of performance for the added caliber versatility and reduced cost of owning just a few cans.

No centerfire rifle caliber is as quiet as subsonic 300 BLK. Depending on the setup, they can be almost as quiet as suppressed 22LR.
What set up would make the 300 blk as a .22?
Blackhorse Scout
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

rcn11thacr wrote:
rimshaker wrote:There's going to be slight sound differences (loudness and tone) when shooting subcalibers through 45 and 762 cans. It also depends on several factors like the host, the quality of the silencer, the ammo, and how good your hearing is. Personally i'm ok with giving up a few dB of performance for the added caliber versatility and reduced cost of owning just a few cans.

What set up would make the 300 blk as a .22?
Suppressed bolt action, Handi Rifle, and Leonidas for example. And with high quality subs or custom handloads.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I will put my semi-educated 2 cents in on this one as well. I would second what bender has stated: you really need two or three cans at a minimum. I would also say a pistol can, a rifle can and a rimfire can. My recommendations and why are below:

45 can for your pistols. If you are willing to cut out 40, maybe a 9mm can as it will be slightly smaller and lighter. I would go with a silencerco octane. I don't have one but the research I did before I bought my second pistol can was pointing me in that direction (ended up getting a tirant 9 cause they were on sale). The octane is easy to clean, effective and durable. Those are the main things I look for in a suppressor. It also isn't super heavy or bulky as pistol cans go.

Rifle can: I haven't done as much research into these, but I would say silencerco, AAC or any of the other major manufacturers would be fine. I have heard huntertown arms rifle cans are louder than most. Brake attach cans give you quick attach ability, more repeatable POI shift and can allow you to use a brake as a sacrificial blast baffle, especially important on SBRs. Direct thread cans are usually cheaper though, especially when you take into account buying a new brake/FH for each rifle you want to put it on. I have a direct thread thompson machine THIRTY and while it works fine it's a bit heavy. It IS take-down, but that really isn't necessary. A dedicated 5.56 can will be shorter and lighter than 30 cal but you lose the multi-caliber capability. You may benefit from the increased length and volume as far as suppression goes shooting 5.56 out of a 30 cal can. If I did it again I would go with a brake/flash hider attach can from silencerco or AAC. It would also not be take-down and would be as light as I could get it in non-titanium.

Rimfire can: get you a silencerco Spectre II. I have one and it is a spectacular can. Super quiet, passably light, small, durable and super easy to clean.

One last--and probably most important--thing: I would worry more about buying GOOD silencers the first time around than saving a few bucks. They will be quieter, easier to maintain (a BIG one in my book, especially for anything you use with rimfire ammo), and more durable.
LostintheAOs

Post by LostintheAOs »

Bendersquint wrote:Buy a 22lr can because even if you don't want one now when you hear a 22lr suppressed you will want one.
This is how I got hooked on suppressors. My buddy built an integrally suppressed M&P 15-22, freaky quiet.
hardcase
Silent But Deadly

Post by hardcase »

Bendersquint wrote:Buy a 45ACP can for the pistol cartridges.
Buy a .308 can for the rifle cartridges.
Buy a 22lr can because even if you don't want one now when you hear a 22lr suppressed you will want one.
I very much agree with the .22 can. I just got my Warlock II a week ago and nothing but smiles. I'm glade I didn't get it first or I would be depressed with the noise reduction and weight of the others.

I have a Liberty Mystic that can be used for .22s but the weight difference between the two is significant. To my ears, the Warlock II is better on my .22 plus I can see the standard iron sights over the Warlock.

Only thing I would do different, given your calibers, would be consider noise reduction efficiency for a 45 used for smaller calibers. I don't have a .45 can, just what I've read. Realistically, might not be a difference to a person's ears. I would defer to the expertise of Bendersquint.

My .308 is a YH Phantom stainless steel. I probably wouldn't buy it knowing what I do now. I'd put more money into the .308 can and get something lighter that possibly could be cleaned, or at least looked at the internals. I do like YH's bayonet type mounts though. All the .308 cans I've read about can be used on a 5.56 or 6.8 with the proper adapter.