Liberty Mystic X- Video Review

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Crash_pro

Re: Liberty Mystic X- Video Review

Post by Crash_pro »

While I know this thread hasn't had any activity in about 8 months... Anyone have the Mystic X? I'm thinking about buying one since I found myself in want of another 9mm can and they seem pretty quiet although a wicked FRP. Curious of how they compare to my current cans.

I don't really care about the multi purpose since i have 2 rifle cans and many other pistol cans, but some are extra large for carbines like the Thompson Machine SG-2 and some are micros like the Poseidon. One of my two Octane 9's got re-purposed as a bedside gun so now i want something that will be my dedicated pistol can but i want it to be ultra quiet since I have other, smaller and louder ones like the Griffin Revolution 9K and I like to keep the other Octane as a backup 3 lug or fixed multipurpose can. Thought about getting an Osprey 9 but I really don't like the fact you can't take it apart and clean it. Then I thought about buying the lightweight GM-9 for the bedside purpose and take back my Octane but I've heard nothing but bad things about it and that it's really loud.

Suggestions?
BroncoAZ

Post by BroncoAZ »

Crash_pro wrote:While I know this thread hasn't had any activity in about 8 months... Anyone have the Mystic X? I'm thinking about buying one since I found myself in want of another 9mm can and they seem pretty quiet although a wicked FRP. Curious of how they compare to my current cans.

I don't really care about the multi purpose since i have 2 rifle cans and many other pistol cans, but some are extra large for carbines like the Thompson Machine SG-2 and some are micros like the Poseidon. One of my two Octane 9's got re-purposed as a bedside gun so now i want something that will be my dedicated pistol can but i want it to be ultra quiet since I have other, smaller and louder ones like the Griffin Revolution 9K and I like to keep the other Octane as a backup 3 lug or fixed multipurpose can. Thought about getting an Osprey 9 but I really don't like the fact you can't take it apart and clean it. Then I thought about buying the lightweight GM-9 for the bedside purpose and take back my Octane but I've heard nothing but bad things about it and that it's really loud.

Suggestions?
If you don't need the multi caliber capabilities of the Mystic line I would choose something else. I have shot my original Mystic and my TiRant 9mm side by side on Glock 17 hosts, both cans sounded very similar but the Mystic is almost twice the weight and a couple inches longer. I mainly use the TiRant on pistols due to the lighter weight and the Mystic lives on my 5" 9mm AR SBR. I do use the Mystic for 300 blackout as well. As for the "wicked FRP" on the Mystic, I think that is exaggerated. There is some FRP, but it seems less than my buddy's Osprey 9mm. I think the TiRant and the Octane are similar enough that you need to look elsewhere for your ultimate quiet can.
Crash_pro

Post by Crash_pro »

BroncoAZ thanks for that information that is very helpful! The size and weight were some of my concerns with using this as a dedicated pistol can which is one reason I was sure to add in that detail. From the specs I knew it was about 4oz heavier than my Octane which is already pretty heavy, but if it was a lot quieter I would be willing to deal with it. However if it sounds about the same… then not worth the extra cost and weight.

As far as performance goes, I’m actually extremely happy with my Octane 9. It exceeded my expectations but times that I shoot in my backyard, being as discrete as possible is the goal and only a full sized silencer like the Octane will cut it. The Rev9 in K form and Poseidon (when wet) feel better being shorter and lighter and are more than hearing safe when I’m out in the field, but they can’t be used at my yard like the Octane.

Given I’m about to buy another, this is my chance to pick up something quieter since by dB readings it seems the TiRant 9 and Osprey both edge out the Octane by a small amount. At least with the Osprey I already have all the pistons and fixed spacers I’d need. While it does have the FRP, in general it seems to be a bit quieter and I’ve heard it balances really well given the weight distribution. That might be the best route to go.

Anyone have experience with the Thompson Machine Isis-2? Looks cool and it’s light, but I never hear much about it.