Narrowed it down to 2 cans

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

t-tung

Narrowed it down to 2 cans

Post by t-tung »

This will be my first can. It will primarily be used on an 8.5" 300BLK rifle for toting around in my Yamaha Rhino blasting pigs. I'll also use it from time to time on a Tikka 7mm08 and 7mmMag hunting rifles. Short and light are more important than absolute sound suppression. For these reasons Ive narrowed it down to the YHM Ultralight Tactical and the Thunder Beast 30CB7. I think the 7" is a nice medium between the suppression of a 9" can and the savings on length and weight of a 5" can.
I'm open to other options but they need to be titanium, ~7", 300WM rated, QD and under $1000. I'm leaning towards the 30CB7 because I like brake but the outer threads look really fine (fragile), but maybe not. I like the coarse thread on the YHM or the cam-type QD on Gemtech's Quicksand but hard to justify the extra $$$ right now. What do y'all think?
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Re: Narrowed it down to 2 cans

Post by jlwilliams »

The thread title made me think you had chosen a woman.

Have you heard any silenced centerfire rifles in person? I ask because if you have not then you may be less than happy with what you get for your money. You said that size is more important than suppression, but your looking at spending a good chunk of change so it's worth asking.

Welcome to silencertalk.
t-tung

Post by t-tung »

Haha if women were this easy to understand I'd be married by now.
I've heard a few different suppressors on bolt & AR platforms. I know they're not silent. That's why to me, giving up 2-3 decibels is worth having a shorter can. I haven't heard a silenced 8.5" 300 but I've heard one unsilenced once :shock: and I'd have to say that $1000 will be money well spent.
t-tung

Post by t-tung »

So between the two, which one should I go with? Or is there a better option out there for what I'm doing? Are there any obvious drawbacks to eitger one that I'm missing?
t-tung

Post by t-tung »

Decided on the YHM from Capitol Armory even though it's NOT 300WM rated. It's actually supposed to be quieter than their full length can on 300BLK. I'm not sure how, but that's what they claim. Anyways, it comes with a QD and is the lighter of the two. Going to run it on a Radical 8.5" upper with a 12.5" JP handgaurd. Let the waiting begin.
Ecirp

Post by Ecirp »

jlwilliams wrote:The thread title made me think you had chosen a woman.
Well said! :lol:
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

t-tung wrote:Decided on the YHM from Capitol Armory even though it's NOT 300WM rated. It's actually supposed to be quieter than their full length can on 300BLK. I'm not sure how, but that's what they claim. Anyways, it comes with a QD and is the lighter of the two. Going to run it on a Radical 8.5" upper with a 12.5" JP handgaurd. Let the waiting begin.
I think you'll enjoy it, I love my YHM Phantom (I've got the SS right now). Looking to pick up one of their Ti cans too for a lighter option. Sounds great, even with full power ammo. I run it on my AK SBR, full size AK, 223 and 308 bolt guns, ARs, M1A, workhorse for sure :D