Huntertown Arms Guardian .22lr (Gen 2)

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

dark2023
Silent Operator

Huntertown Arms Guardian .22lr (Gen 2)

Post by dark2023 »

My HTA Guardian .22 showed up about a week ago, thank to NCSilencer.

This is my first suppressor so I may not be the best person to do a review, but there is very little info of this suppressor online and I want ot do my best to remedy that.

When I first unpackaged the suppressor I noticed it was fairly light, maybe a few ounces. The tube appears to be steel.

The suppressor has a rear portion made a bit thicker and tougher than the rest, this is the serialized part. If there was to be an issue it would most definitely occur past this point and allows the suppressor to be easily sent back to HTA for repair without needing to file and pay for a new stamp.

Taking a look at the back of the suppressor shows that it has holes drilled into it around the main threads and opening. These holes do not lead anywhere and I assume are there just to reduce weight.

The front of the suppressor is also removable, and easily unscrews. It has a unique shape most likely meant to be easily gripped by pliers or a wrench.

The suppressor can be easily unscrewed with minimal force by hand. I assume it will get harder with fouling. There are 7 baffles, 6 of which have a tubular extension so that they easily click into place with one another and help prevent allowing fouling into the tube, this in theory will help the baffles be removed from the tube for cleaning. The first baffle is steel while the rest are unanodized aluminum.

The suppressor fits well on my new .22lr PPK

I have fired this set together over 100 times now, they work quite well together. The sound dry is akin to a gos blowback airsoft gun, a dull but noticeable pop.
When shot with water or wire pulling gel the suppressor sound very similar to some holly wood interpretations, it makes a VERY soft -thwoop-, with is definitely quieter than most pellet guns.

I am VERY impressed by this performance. I would love to suggest anyone looking for an inexpensive suppressor look into the new Huntertown Arms .22lr suppressors. They are very effective and quite compact. The design is well thought out and they are not difficult to clean or disassemble.

If you are in NC I would love to mention that NCSilencer is a great resource for purchasing suppressors. They helped me through the process of creating a trust and filed most of the paper work for me. The price was also great, with everything included (even shipping) they were able to offer me a price just under MSRP+tax stamp. Not to mention that they did a good job keeping in contact with me and answering questions I had along the way.
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.
Faulkner

Re: Huntertown Arms Guardian .22lr (Gen 2)

Post by Faulkner »

Thanks for the review. I have one in the vault at my local gunshop waiting on the BATF to process the paperwork.
- change it back -
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

Nice to know a low price doesn't translate into low quality.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

11C1P wrote:Nice to know a low price doesn't translate into low quality.
You aren't familiar with HTA are you? ;)
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

NC silencer good company here in NC , i used them to get my first one a spectre2,i only wish all suppressors had info on end cap . like you said if something goes wrong , easy to replace .

they set up my trust as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

Faulkner wrote:Thanks for the review. I have one in the vault at my local gunshop waiting on the BATF to process the paperwork.
Ditto.....
Lateck,
11C1P

Post by 11C1P »

Bendersquint wrote:
Are you saying they are crap?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

11C1P wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
Are you saying they are crap?
On par with the YHM Mite, there are alot better options out there.

IME most people buy HTA because its the one the local SOT has on hand.

Buyers remorse is not a fun thing to deal with.
dark2023
Silent Operator

Post by dark2023 »

On par with the YHM Mite, there are alot better options out there.

IME most people buy HTA because its the one the local SOT has on hand.

Buyers remorse is not a fun thing to deal with.
That may have been true for the generation 1 HTA Guardian, and while I will say it's not the best, it's definitely not bad.
My HTA Guardian Gen 2 sounds pretty much the same to my ear as a Silcerco Sparrow that I shot on a Ruger sp22
Also, the sparrow has first round pop, mine not so much.

For the money, I could not be happier.
A gun is meant to protect your life, not your wallet. Things can be replaced, people cant.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

You spent more on your passport than you did your silencer.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Re: Huntertown Arms Guardian

Post by Wicked »

There are many better options, but they all cost more. These econo-cans do have their place. HTA doesn't do a terrible job, but I'm slightly surprised they're still around. The low end can market must be stronger than I think. Look at Hi Point! They sell more of those in a week than I make all year.

Mostly I'd suggest these to guys considering building a Form 1 can because they want to save money. This will be better than 95% of anything most people could make themselves. The HTA stuff is safe, durable and works. It doesn't cost a bunch either and they're available without waiting. That's largely what the casual consumer looks for, especially in a first purchase.

Yes, you get (or don't get) what you pay for, but to many this still a good deal. If you're happy with your purchase run with it. I own a bunch of stuff nobody else will ever want and I don't care.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Bradpierson26
Silent Operator

Post by Bradpierson26 »

Glad you're happy.

Hope you never need their C.S.
Faulkner

Post by Faulkner »

I've been pleased with my HTA Guardian SS. Simple enough to disassemble and clean and sound suppression is equal to my Surefire Ryder.
- change it back -
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Faulkner wrote:I've been pleased with my HTA Guardian SS. Simple enough to disassemble and clean and sound suppression is equal to my Surefire Ryder.
Thats doesn't say alot about the Ryder. :roll:
psode27

Post by psode27 »

I have a HTA Gen1, I have no complaints other than the aluminum baffles. nice and light, but cleaning is a PITA. I'll be sending it in for an upgrade to the kestrel core deal. Pretty excited.

I guess I havent heard TONS of 22 cans, but I dont see the need to spend 500+ on a 22 can. I know that some do, and thats great, but the HTA is silly quiet as it is. When I was looking the Sparrow was just released but I couldnt find it anywhere though. 200ish for the can, plus 150 for the kestrel core, and I feel like i'll have a pretty damn tough can.

Not here to argue, guys who spend more get really nice cans too, but I dont feel as though I was misled into a POS by any means.
Have fun with the new can! Love the Bond setup too btw!
ericdraven
Silent But Deadly

Post by ericdraven »

what ive read and seen most of it is bad. 2 things you dont do discount shopping for

doctors
suppressors

its a life purchase . save up get a good one .
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

ericdraven wrote:what ive read and seen most of it is bad. 2 things you dont do discount shopping for

doctors
suppressors

its a life purchase . save up get a good one .
+2!

A wise man with a motto that inoculates you against institutionalized dissatisfaction.

Your doctor comment reminds me of the great and funny Rodney Dangerfield's* riff in a Boston Club on
Dr. Batcha-Galoup whose discount medical bills due to your helping him do the sutures during your
circumcision. :)

"No respect. I worked in mob club so tough in New Jersey that the hatcheck girl was named Dominic."

"There were so many muggings in my neighborhood that I got a German Shepard. When
the dog found out that I was Jewish he attacked me."

* << https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=738VLg7JJ2k >>
Lateck
Silent Operator

Post by Lateck »

Bendersquint wrote:
Well, I had the chance to use my Huntertown SS .22 today.
I was comparing it to my Gemtech Alpine.... I could not hear any real difference in suppression.
(Using my Savage FR-TR, out doors). And it was easier to clean with it's SS baffles.

To me, it is on par with the Alpine and over $100 less.
(My two pesos).

Lateck,
KiA

Post by KiA »

the guardian 22 SS has all stainless construction with enclosed K baffles for a retail price of $289.
1) what constitutes a better can?
2) what's a convincing argument that one needs to pay $200 more for the "better" can?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

KiA wrote:the guardian 22 SS has all stainless construction with enclosed K baffles for a retail price of $289.
1) what constitutes a better can?
2) what's a convincing argument that one needs to pay $200 more for the "better" can?
A design where you never have to hammer/pound out the baffles when it comes time to clean it.
And when the baffles/core is out, the tube itself requires no cleaning, since the fouling and lead don't touch the tube.
And because of these reasons mentioned, cleaning intervals can go as high as 2000+ rounds and still be easy to take apart.

Check out the Spectre and Sparrow cans.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

The Eco-22 suppressor is a much better buy and much quieter as well.

https://youtu.be/UgB6LZwvryk

http://www.xcaliberfirearms.com/?page_id=210
KiA

Post by KiA »

rimshaker wrote:Check out the Spectre and Sparrow cans.
Spectre has click-together-assembly. the gen2 guardian seems to have the same design. they call it encapsulated.
did you skip over OP's pictures, or am i missing something?
Aaron
Silent Operator

Post by Aaron »

I live local to ADCO and they tried to sell me an HTA 22. I watched that video on the Kestral though so I'm pretty leary.
MT Don

Post by MT Don »

I have a Gen 1 and was wondering if the Encased K Baffles from the Gen 2 would fit in the Gen 1. You are right about HTA CS being non-responsive. Is the advantage of the Encased K Baffles in the ease of cleaning or do they suppress better? Would the Gen 1 SS baffles suppress better than the aluminum baffles or is it just a case of easier cleaning.
KiA

Post by KiA »

i emailed them about pre-2014 vs new model stainless steel baffles.
they responded within 3 days:
We do still offer an upgrade for the pre-2014 version that gives it stainless steel enclosed K baffles. The cost of this upgrade is $150.00.
i think the main advantage is the baffles not sticking to the tube, making their removal easier for cleaning and preserving the tube. i'm not sure about the suppression performance.