Silencerco Omega

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

ugareloader

Silencerco Omega

Post by ugareloader »

Has anyone heard any new info or got their hands on one yet? The last I heard was someone on AR15.com saying some of the numbers weren't as good as reported. I really want to hear some more feedback or info cause I'm ready to order. Also, anyone found any good deals on it? I know SS has them for $880. Thanks
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: Silencerco Omega

Post by jdasilva »

ugareloader wrote:Has anyone heard any new info or got their hands on one yet? The last I heard was someone on AR15.com saying some of the numbers weren't as good as reported. I really want to hear some more feedback or info cause I'm ready to order. Also, anyone found any good deals on it? I know SS has them for $880. Thanks

The different results were supposedly because of different ammo being used but I could be wrong.

Capitol Armory out of Austin has it for $875 & also does Easy Pay while you wait.

So you can just put down $200 + sales tax (if you live in TX) & pay the rest in 4 monthly payments.

Then use the left over money to get in on the SilencerCo Salvo 12 sale for $795 on their website. It is also available for easy pay.

http://www.capitolarmory.com/catalogsea ... t/?q=omega
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

We're going to try to get to the range with an Omega as soon as possible and do as much testing as we can. I'll be sure to post up those results when I have them... I'm personally pretty curious about the Omega as well.

(Also, that Salvo sale should be up for another week or so. It was supposed to be over, but we pushed it back a bit longer)
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Simply amazing can, esp. with 300 BLK, thank you RS,
with a rating of 119 Db. SS, Ti, Stellite!
WOW.

Serious candidate for 'glazed eyed' check writing.

"Badger, hold down Toad" - Wind In The Willows*

" ... Badger visits Mole and Rat to take action over
Toad's self-destructive obsession (e.g., tools, cans, arms?
:) ).." -Wiki

* << http://www.tricycle.co.uk/home/about-th ... e-willows/ >>
Toad on the way to try out an Omega! :)
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

jdasilva wrote:
ugareloader wrote:Has anyone heard any new info or got their hands on one yet? The last I heard was someone on AR15.com saying some of the numbers weren't as good as reported. I really want to hear some more feedback or info cause I'm ready to order. Also, anyone found any good deals on it? I know SS has them for $880. Thanks
The different results were supposedly because of different ammo being used but I could be wrong.
Testing was not MIL-STD. Seems they are jacking with MIC location. Seems trivial but makes some dB difference.
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

I doubt the 119db holds up. I would still be very happy if was just lower 120s. The weight and length savings are huge. I had me mind set on the Saker til now. I know the Saker is more durable but they are rating it 7 db quieter. I just don't understand that if its shorter. The math doesn't add up. Thats why I want to see some real experience. Hope I'm wrong!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

ugareloader wrote:I doubt the 119db holds up. I would still be very happy if was just lower 120s. The weight and length savings are huge. I had me mind set on the Saker til now. I know the Saker is more durable but they are rating it 7 db quieter. I just don't understand that if its shorter. The math doesn't add up. Thats why I want to see some real experience. Hope I'm wrong!
No idea on the meter data of the Omega but just because a can is shorter doesn't mean it has to be louder.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

119dB is rimfire territory. Other forums have also pointed out that Silco was sound testing with longer barrels for all the calibers. That's in addition to using their new inhouse subsonic BLK ammo. And now mic location. Oh my.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

rimshaker wrote:119dB is rimfire territory. Other forums have also pointed out that Silco was sound testing with longer barrels for all the calibers. That's in addition to using their new inhouse subsonic BLK ammo. And now mic location. Oh my.
Thank you and other brethren 'Badgers and Moles' for pulling a glazed eyed
'Toad' back to reality with facts.

As one ages riding a bumpy early 1900's roadster does put
a strain on one's psychic butt.

Hey, what is that shiny thing at the end booth? :)
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Joshua@CapitolArmory wrote:We're going to try to get to the range with an Omega as soon as possible and do as much testing as we can. I'll be sure to post up those results when I have them... I'm personally pretty curious about the Omega as well.

(Also, that Salvo sale should be up for another week or so. It was supposed to be over, but we pushed it back a bit longer)
I'd recommend bring a Saker 762 or 762-SDN-6 for an apples to apples comparison using the same gun, ammo, and conditions.
Joshua@CapitolArmory
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Joshua@CapitolArmory »

That's part of the plan! I
Joshua

[email protected]
Capitol Armory
FFL/SOT
www.CapitolArmory.com
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

Silencerco wasn't jacking with the mic location, AR15.com was...

Silencerco's numbers have always been within the range that can be explained by changes in conditions.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

dtom29 wrote:Silencerco wasn't jacking with the mic location, AR15.com was...

Silencerco's numbers have always been within the range that can be explained by changes in conditions.
Yeah, they jacked with the meter location. I think they started metering at the weapon's muzzle, not the end end of the silencer some time ago without explanation. That's why a lot of their current products got quieter without a design update. When the -K cans came out I was really scratching my head over those numbers, but this explains it.

I'm sure the Omega's going to be great can, though. I just don't believe the numbers. They're based on a very specific method of testing, type of ammo, and an optimized product configuration (thread-on with anchor brake from what I heard). As users add the ASR mount and remove the anchor brake things will vary but the funny thing is nobody will probably ever even be able to hear the difference. Meter junkies will eat it up, though.

What I like about it is that it's a very optimized can for the meter. It appears they basically took a Harvester and increased the diameter and added a stellite insert in the blast baffle. With that extra diameter and the thin walled steel baffles it has a lot of internal volume for its length. I'm a little worried about how they're marketing it for the tactical crowd, though. They have a lot of fine print on its use, so be aware of your caliber, barrel length, and shooting schedule with it.