SDN6 or Omega?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

atilliar
Silent Operator

SDN6 or Omega?

Post by atilliar »

I'm saving up for my next purchase finally. God, it's been too long...
I'm looking at getting the AAC 9" MPW and a 762 can to go with it. I'm really looking at two options but I'd be open for other opinions as well. Currently I'm trying to decide between the SDN6 and the Omega? I've been looking and I can seem to find any side by side comparisons of the two. What really has me looking at the Omega is the mounting system and it's versatility as I'll also be using the the can on a 700p in .308.

Any help would be great and sorry if I missed it if others have asked for the same info.
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
themonk
Silent Operator

Re: SDN6 or Omega?

Post by themonk »

I own a SDN6 and a 9" MPW. I would go Omega all day and twice on Sunday. The SDN is a beast of a can and with that comes a lot of weight. The SDN comes in at 20oz with the Omega only being 14oz. That's a big difference.

Two exceptions; if you shoot full auto or if you already have AAC cans and have AAC muzzle devices on a lot of your rifles. In both those cases I would get the SDN. Durability wise I think the SDN is a more robust can.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Play with the new dead air stuff.
Loki_stormbringer
Silent Operator

Post by Loki_stormbringer »

66427vette wrote:Play with the new dead air stuff.
I'm actually looking at doing the same thing as OP. Purchase the 9'' MPW and getting either the OMEGA or SDN6. Because of my ignorance of dead air. What are the selling points for theirs? It appears it would still weigh more then the OMEGA. Would the weight be noticeable on the said gun?
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

themonk wrote:I own a SDN6 and a 9" MPW. I would go Omega all day and twice on Sunday. The SDN is a beast of a can and with that comes a lot of weight. The SDN comes in at 20oz with the Omega only being 14oz. That's a big difference.

Two exceptions; if you shoot full auto or if you already have AAC cans and have AAC muzzle devices on a lot of your rifles. In both those cases I would get the SDN. Durability wise I think the SDN is a more robust can.
This is spot on. The SDN6 is a great can but a little older design. Omega has it beat it every way including suppression. Also, Omega has interchangable endcaps to repair endcap baffle strikes and better 5.56 suppression. If your looking for a 300 BO the Omega is perfect
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

Awesome guys! Thanks for the advice!
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

ugareloader wrote:
themonk wrote:I own a SDN6 and a 9" MPW. I would go Omega all day and twice on Sunday. The SDN is a beast of a can and with that comes a lot of weight. The SDN comes in at 20oz with the Omega only being 14oz. That's a big difference.

This is spot on. The SDN6 is a great can but a little older design. Omega has it beat it every way including suppression. Also, Omega has interchangable endcaps to repair endcap baffle strikes and better 5.56 suppression. If your looking for a 300 BO the Omega is perfect
The SDN6 is long in the tooth and it's suppression is lacking for its size and mass. BUT.... it is fundamentally tougher than the Omega. Think about your use before dropping the coin.

The Sandman -S is shorter and lighter than the SDN6 and still beats it on sound suppression. Where the -S really shines is in lack of blowback for the shooter. Anyone that shoots the Sandman -S next to the SDN6 chooses the Sandman.

It's not apples to apples with the Omega because they're very different cans. The Omega gives up on materials and durability to provide more internal volume and baffles. The Sandman doesn't have any firing schedule or barrel length restrictions on it. To keep things somewhat similar, an Omega with the ASR attachment and anchor brake actually weighs within 1 oz. (1.5-ish) of the Sandman -S and it will be almost an 1" longer than the Sandman.

There's some skewed marketing on how quiet the Omega is, but just remember that the test method is different than normal. Independent tests are showing they're within 1 dB of each other on AR-15 SBR and 20" .308 platforms. I honestly think the Omega is a little quieter on low pressure rounds like 300 BLK at the muzzle, but I also think you'd be hard pressed to hear it. Maybe in a back-to-back string as an observer. As the shooter, you'll notice the lack of "bite" at the ejection port of an AR-15 or AR-10 with the Sandman. Instead it sounds low and pleasant with that 1K-5K Hz high-pressurized blast reduced as the chamber is uncorked.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

I'll add to the fun and say compare the Omega and the Surge from Rugged. Those are the two at the top of my list to check out 8)
JeffWard
Silent But Deadly

Post by JeffWard »

Omega vs. A
Omega vs. B
Omega vs. C....

You get the picture?

Right now, for an all-around .30 can, the Omega is the one to beat.

JW
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

I'll definitely keep all this in mind. Right now it looks like the omega is inching out. But now I have one more question. Some of you have mentioned durability and how the omega isn't as durable as other cans... How are you measuring this and what could I realistically expect for the omega shooting semiautomatic out of the hosts that I mentioned. With the prices and wait of a can today I would expect it to last just about a life time short of a baffle strike or something. Is this not reasonable?

Also since it looks like I'm going to have to replace the mussel device anyway should I go with a flash hider or brake in the 9" aac mpw?
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

atilliar wrote:I'll definitely keep all this in mind. Right now it looks like the omega is inching out. But now I have one more question. Some of you have mentioned durability and how the omega isn't as durable as other cans... How are you measuring this and what could I realistically expect for the omega shooting semiautomatic out of the hosts that I mentioned. With the prices and wait of a can today I would expect it to last just about a life time short of a baffle strike or something. Is this not reasonable?

Also since it looks like I'm going to have to replace the mussel device anyway should I go with a flash hider or brake in the 9" aac mpw?
No worries concerning durability of the Omega. If you do manage to shoot it out, SiCo will take care of you with their warranty. It comes with a brake, and when you register it, SiCo will send you a flash hider...
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

atilliar wrote:I'll definitely keep all this in mind. Right now it looks like the omega is inching out. But now I have one more question. Some of you have mentioned durability and how the omega isn't as durable as other cans... How are you measuring this and what could I realistically expect for the omega shooting semiautomatic out of the hosts that I mentioned. With the prices and wait of a can today I would expect it to last just about a life time short of a baffle strike or something. Is this not reasonable?

Tho answer your questions- go with Brake or FH, doesn't matter. FH will be a bit more pleasant to shoot unsuppressed.

Any of the cans mentioned should last you a lifetime.

Try not to overthink too much, and it's easy to land in the SilencerWorldVortex™ where the following laws apply:

95% of people spouting off about the durability of X model don't own one

99.9% or people spouting off about the durability of X model have not and will never wear out a silencer

95% of people spouting off about sound of X model haven't heard one in person

95% of people offering any opinion of X model own or have decided to buy another model and want to justify/defend their decision

At least 50% of people offering opinion of X model are involved in some way in trying to sell something

*All applies to every silencer out there.
And most stuff being made today is very good.

This should be the FAQ that pops up at the top of every thread.
(and this is an extremely educated silencer forum comparatively-speaking)
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

Thanks, guys! I really do appreciate it.
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

JasonM wrote:

Tho answer your questions- go with Brake or FH, doesn't matter. FH will be a bit more pleasant to shoot unsuppressed.

Any of the cans mentioned

Try not to overthink too much, and it's easy to land in the SilencerWorldVortex™ where the following laws apply:

95% of people spouting off about the durability of X model don't own one

99.9% or people spouting off about the durability of X model have not and will never wear out a silencer

95% of people spouting off about sound of X model haven't heard one in person

95% of people offering any opinion of X model own or have decided to buy another model and want to justify/defend their decision

At least 50% of people offering opinion of X model are involved in some way in trying to sell something

*All applies to every silencer out there.
And most stuff being made today is very good.

This should be the FAQ that pops up at the top of every thread.
(and this is an extremely educated silencer forum comparatively-speaking)
Very true i bet
Fun

Post by Fun »

Omega all the way!!!!

I have the SDN6 and Omega and honestly the Omega is amazing. Its WAY lighter.
Omega is around 18oz with brake QD mount, SDN6 is about 25oz with Brake QD mount.
They sound sounds about the same. Omega might be a little quieter with BLK.
Omega you can change it from direct thread to QD, and you can change the front end cap to 556.
Durability is a dumb thing to factor in, all modern cans are durable enough, I wish people would stop buying stuff based on "end of the world".

I would trade ALL my M4-2000s, SDN6s, Surefires, and YHMs for ALL Omegas.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Fun wrote:Durability is a dumb thing to factor in, all modern cans are durable enough, I wish people would stop buying stuff based on "end of the world".

Pretty ballsy thing to say on a first post. Baffle erosion exists whether it's a modern can or not. No matter the material used.

But durability translates into longevity (besides torture tests), which is pretty darn important in my book.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

delete
Last edited by quiettime on Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fun

Post by Fun »

rimshaker wrote:
Fun wrote:Durability is a dumb thing to factor in, all modern cans are durable enough, I wish people would stop buying stuff based on "end of the world".

Pretty ballsy thing to say on a first post. Baffle erosion exists whether it's a modern can or not. No matter the material used.

But durability translates into longevity (besides torture tests), which is pretty darn important in my book.

Hey, sorry yeah first post, been around a while though. Thought id finally contribute.
I agree durability is a good thing, but after years of abusing YHM, Surefire, AAC, and Gemtech, I would be surprised if the Omega couldn't handle 99% of most peoples yearly routine. I guess you would also have to look at how many rounds you are putting through your can. I would estimate these cans can take excess of 20,000 rounds, a number that I will probably never reach because every few years I buy new ones. plus, all these companies warranty their products. I feel like if you can afford to shoot enough to erode a suppressor then you can probably afford to buy the newer better model every 4 years anyway.

Seriously I like my SDN6 but this Omega is lighter and sounds great, which is really nice.

I personally have not had problems with my cans, but i know many people who have had issues with their AAC, Surefire, YHM... they all have potential to have issues, so for me the weight, sound, and quality is the most important. SiCo makes a good product at a reasonable price.

...and yeah i guess i wouldn't trade in everything, i would keep a TREK-t and M4-2000 for 556, but surefire and yhm would be gone and my blk would only be wearing Omegas.