Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Post Reply
User avatar
hbk80rice
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 286
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:11 pm
Location: Tennessee

Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by hbk80rice » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:33 am

We only shoot 5.56 out of our AR's now, but I would like to get a 300blk in the future if the prices of the ammo keep coming down. Which are the cans to get in each caliber?
is the AAC M4-2000 a good one for 5.56 and for 7.62 would a Specwar be good?

If you could please give me some of your thoughts and what you did sand if you have other suggestions of what to get that would be better. I would like to stay in the price range of each of these cans give or take a little bit.

THANKS!!!
AAC- Evo-9, Pilot, Ti-Rant 9, M4-2000
Coastal Passport
SWD- M11, M11-A1, M11(NIB)
SiCo Omega
Arsenal 107ur
Fleming Trigger Pack
Chi-Com Norinco Type 56
PAWS Colt SP1
DeadAir MASK HD
Surefire Ryder Ti9

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:45 am

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by Joker31D » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:18 pm

i'm not a fan of the specwar because the Saker goes on easier and the omega is nicer/more flexible. I look for the Specwar to go away in the future, it makes sense considering the price point and the features... its not as durable as the saker but not as flexible as the Omega. It would make more sense to use the Omega to fill its role and slim down the product line to allow more room for expansion into the other areas they seem to be headed into. They may keep it just to satisfy the popularity but it doesnt make business sense to keep the whole line they have, there are too many proprietary parts that dont cross over and it would cut the materials budget to go with a slimmer line.

The Saker is nice because you can put it on with a 1/2 turn and its Very rugged, The omega has that cool Brake feature you cant get on anything else but the Harvester (Wish they would make it for the Saker) You need the one handed attachment for those who put the can inside of a handguard and it is full auto rated. The omega is a great crossover between the Harvester and Saker but it has that funky QD attachment with the lock ring. It would make sense for Sco to next come out with a short Harvester and a Saker big Bore for 338LM's I have shot the Saker and the specwar together, the specwar is quieter on paper/Meter but I prefer the tone of the Saker, its why I bought 2 of them.

The Saker 762 can be used for both, its quieter than a saker 556 when you swap the end cap and you only need one mount for both so its cheaper.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!

User avatar
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 352
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:53 am
Location: AL

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by AlabamaPaul » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:27 pm

Personally, I would get the Griffin Armament Recce 5 for the 5.56 and a Dead Air Sandman-S for 300BLK. That being said, we sell more M4-2000's for 5.56 rifles than any other can.

roodyrocker
Silent Operator
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 8:41 pm

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by roodyrocker » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:12 pm

Still waiting for my Rugged Suppressors Surge 7.62 to be released from NFA jail. It will handle 5.56, 300 Blackout, and several other rifle rounds. It can be shortened or run full length. Not the cheapest can out there but should be able to handle most common rifle rounds. At the time I bought it, there was a special where I got the mounts for both 5.56 and 7.62 as well as the end caps in both.

Rudy
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC

User avatar
Bone16
Elite Member
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:54 am
Location: U.A. (Upper Alabama)

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by Bone16 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:26 pm

Joker31D wrote:i'm not a fan of the specwar because the Saker goes on easier and the omega is nicer/more flexible. I look for the Specwar to go away in the future, it makes sense considering the price point and the features... its not as durable as the saker but not as flexible as the Omega. ...I have shot the Saker and the specwar together, the specwar is quieter on paper/Meter but I prefer the tone of the Saker, its why I bought 2 of them.
Joker, FYI, the Specwar is entirely made out of Stellite, not Stellite and Stainless. It's built like a tank and if having to make an additional three twists to put it on is that difficult; you might want to look at doing some more PT to strengthen your wrists. :roll: I too have shot both suppressors and the Specwar isn't just quieter on paper, it's quieter period. If you want a good all around silencer that'll work for anything from 5.56 - 300WSM, the Specwar is the way to go at that price point. If you want to have all the 'cool' toy add-ons that don't really help in suppression but only serve to increase the price point, then get the Saker.
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!

ChinStrap40
Member
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by ChinStrap40 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 4:07 pm

Bone16 wrote:
Joker31D wrote:i'm not a fan of the specwar because the Saker goes on easier and the omega is nicer/more flexible. I look for the Specwar to go away in the future, it makes sense considering the price point and the features... its not as durable as the saker but not as flexible as the Omega. ...I have shot the Saker and the specwar together, the specwar is quieter on paper/Meter but I prefer the tone of the Saker, its why I bought 2 of them.
Joker, FYI, the Specwar is entirely made out of Stellite, not Stellite and Stainless. It's built like a tank and if having to make an additional three twists to put it on is that difficult; you might want to look at doing some more PT to strengthen your wrists. :roll: I too have shot both suppressors and the Specwar isn't just quieter on paper, it's quieter period. If you want a good all around silencer that'll work for anything from 5.56 - 300WSM, the Specwar is the way to go at that price point. If you want to have all the 'cool' toy add-ons that don't really help in suppression but only serve to increase the price point, then get the Saker.
Bone has a point. The Specwar is extremely durable. Not to say other cans cannot handle a lot of abuse, but saying the Specwar isn't as durable as other cans is not true. It also has a reputation for being one of the most efficient suppressors in sound reduction. This comes at a cost of weight, size, and is not as modular as more modern designs...so you must consider your goals.

You say you are going to get into 300 blackout and that caliber can be ran subsonic. The fun thing about subsonic is that sound suppression efficiency is much more noticeable and thus the capability carries more value...in my opinion.

I don't want to take away from the Saker. I can only comment on the Specwar because it is all I have experience with.

fieldsken1
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:19 pm

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by fieldsken1 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:32 am

Bone16 wrote:
Joker31D wrote:i'm not a fan of the specwar because the Saker goes on easier and the omega is nicer/more flexible. I look for the Specwar to go away in the future, it makes sense considering the price point and the features... its not as durable as the saker but not as flexible as the Omega. ...I have shot the Saker and the specwar together, the specwar is quieter on paper/Meter but I prefer the tone of the Saker, its why I bought 2 of them.
Joker, FYI, the Specwar is entirely made out of Stellite, not Stellite and Stainless. It's built like a tank and if having to make an additional three twists to put it on is that difficult; you might want to look at doing some more PT to strengthen your wrists. :roll: I too have shot both suppressors and the Specwar isn't just quieter on paper, it's quieter period. If you want a good all around silencer that'll work for anything from 5.56 - 300WSM, the Specwar is the way to go at that price point. If you want to have all the 'cool' toy add-ons that don't really help in suppression but only serve to increase the price point, then get the Saker.

I agree. I own the specwar 556 and the 762. They have all the mounts I need I use mine on a 300wm to a 300 BLK. LOVE IT

JPB
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by JPB » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:27 am

Both of those are good cans in the $600-650 price range. I would also consider the SpecWar 556 since your considering the Specwar 762. Alternatively, you may want to consider the 762-SDN-6 to partner with the M4-2000. This way the 7.62 cans can migrate around both 5.56 and 7.62 guns. Neither the SpecWar 556 or the 762-SDN-6 are slouches either.

Joker31D
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 304
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:45 am

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by Joker31D » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:39 am

As for the Spec-war, I cant turn the locking ring inside the handguard of my hunting rifle because its inside the handguard, and cant do PT anymore, I go to Physical Therapy now for PT and cant run because I'm in a wheelchair (Afghanistan 2010, Broken back, Neck, both shoulders and right knee) but I'll take it under advisement, I did plenty of PT up to that point (Was assigned to Very PT concentric unit, anyone who knows me knows what unit) I still have a pretty tight grip, even though I cant feel much in my hands because of nerve damage. Thanks for worrying about my PT regimine though :wink:

As I stated above, The Specwar sounds louder to me, in my application, I believe the mount is stainless but I could be wrong, its been a while since I shot mine (I own both the Saker and Specwar) Wasnt aware the mounts were stelite, Their website says the can is Stainless and Stelite, I also like the Saker because its shorter, at least on mine its about 1 1/2" shorter than my Specwar and it seems lighter, both worth the extra money to me.

As for twisting it, When the cans are hot, I prefer to touch them as little as possible and it is alot easier to 1/4-1/2 twist the saker than turn a ring, then twist the thing 4 times. If I was going to do that, I might as well do a direct thread, or like I do with my Specwar now, change uppers. I hate messing with my Specwar so much I'm buying a direct thread and pinning it to the barrel so I dont have to mess with it and so I can only use 1 stamp for the rifle its going to stay on. Right now, I have to take it off to fit it in my mount on my Track Chair.

btw, this is in jest, I'm not mad and definately not looking for sympathy, too much of that crap given already, I'm glad when people give me crap, everyone else walks on eggshells around me.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!

User avatar
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2726
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 am
Location: On 8th line of eye chart.

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by whiterussian1974 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Joker31D: In fairness, I think that Boner16 had a different kind of "wrist PT" in mind. :shock:
He's in the AL Naval Reserve. :lol:

Just kidding both of you. 8)
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
Well I AM 1/16 Demon on my Father's Side!-Dresden Files

User avatar
arlen
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:01 pm

Re: Help with choosing First Rifle Can

Post by arlen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:10 pm

The AAC M4-2000 is a marvelous suppressor. I purchased a LaRue OBR 5.56 and stuck a muzzle brake on it. That pushed all of the sound back onto me. The sound painfully hurt my ears. So I purchased an AAC M4-2000 and AAC muzzle brake. The results were miraculous. The rifle now sounds like a .22 rifle. This suppressor is worth every penny.
Regards,
arlen

======================================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort to chew through the leather straps
======================================

Post Reply