Gemtech experience.

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

hondahater4ever

Gemtech experience.

Post by hondahater4ever »

I personally have a SilencerCo Hybrid with 9mm end cap, Thompson Machine Isis-2 9mm, and Tactical solutions ascent 22. I went shooting with a few people that are Gemtech freaks and think they are the best suppressors in the world. We all shot my 147gr 9mm hand loads using tite group powder at 950FPS. As for 22LR I had CCI subsonic 0056. There suppressors were Gemtech GM9, GM22 and a Lunar 45. Using all the same ammo with the same hand guns Glock 19's and Walther P22's those Gemtech cans were noticeably louder even after the first round pop. The worst of them was the GM22 it was to my ear as a shooter and observer for both left and right sides of another shooter twice as loud as the Tactical solutions ascent. The GM9 had the loudest first round pop out of all 3 suppressors. Now I know my Hybrid is double the price of the GM9 but my Isis-2 is $250 cheaper and when it comes to FRP and overall noise reduction it blows that GM9 away. Just curious if anyone else has observed the same thing, and if so why are people still buying Gemtechs, Oh and the GM9 was a bitch to take apart after 500 rounds and my Isis-2 unthreaded with ease.

As for the Gemtech Lunar, it was a 45 can so shooting 9mm through a can with a 45 sized end cap was obviously going to be louder so I didn't compare it to any of the others.
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Re: Gemtech experience.

Post by gsyoung54 »

hondahater4ever wrote:I personally have a SilencerCo Hybrid with 9mm end cap, Thompson Machine Isis-2 9mm, and Tactical solutions ascent 22. I went shooting with a few people that are Gemtech freaks and think they are the best suppressors in the world. We all shot my 147gr 9mm hand loads using tite group powder at 950FPS. As for 22LR I had CCI subsonic 0056. There suppressors were Gemtech GM9, GM22 and a Lunar 45. Using all the same ammo with the same hand guns Glock 19's and Walther P22's those Gemtech cans were noticeably louder even after the first round pop. The worst of them was the GM22 it was to my ear as a shooter and observer for both left and right sides of another shooter twice as loud as the Tactical solutions ascent. The GM9 had the loudest first round pop out of all 3 suppressors. Now I know my Hybrid is double the price of the GM9 but my Isis-2 is $250 cheaper and when it comes to FRP and overall noise reduction it blows that GM9 away. Just curious if anyone else has observed the same thing, and if so why are people still buying Gemtechs, Oh and the GM9 was a bitch to take apart after 500 rounds and my Isis-2 unthreaded with ease.

As for the Gemtech Lunar, it was a 45 can so shooting 9mm through a can with a 45 sized end cap was obviously going to be louder so I didn't compare it to any of the others.
I don't have a Lunar and probably won't buy one with so many other proven, modular suppressors out there. They obviously built that model to make up for the abysmal performance of the GM-45 monocore. You just can't have a short monocore in a 45 and maybe 40 or 9 also that will work as well as a baffled suppressor imho. I do have a lot of suppressors and maybe 18 of them are .22LR types and I was pleasantly surprised when I decided to give the GM-22 a try from my seldom used Trilogy set. The performance truly amazed me at how quiet it was with just a little RemOil in it. The "One" is not. It does ok on 7.62 NATO and Russian but there are others that do much better. I do like the now discontinued Quicksand by Gemtech.... it may be the quietest 7.62 they have ever made and far, far outshines the One, same with the QD-HTV... heavy but has a nice low tone. Too bad the "experts"
tell me that a higher pitched squak is superior to a nice sounding lower mellow tone as apparently the lower tones travel farther. I guess that's why the military uses superlow VHF for long distance emergency communications where I live instead of normal band VHF that we used in public safety and cabs.

All I want now is to find a new or used Liberty Infiniti for my 9 mm pistols. Dave told me it was the quietest 9 suppressor they ever built but at $1,000+ retail they just were not selling.... I like chasing dB's so if y'all have one out there and want to make a few bucks drop me a message.

Almost forgot. Don't be afraid to shoot your 45 cans on your 9mm's. Most of the time they are quieter than your dedicated 9 cans. I routinely run AAC Tirant-M .45 cans on my Sig 9's and they simply perform better than the Tirant-M 9 can... in fact the exit holes look to be about the same. There is just more volume in the bigger cans... try it, you might be pleasantly surprised. Too bad we can't wipe the ends ourselves anymore. I think the Ghost M still puts one wipe in the end but you don't get the extra one or ones that you used to and you can not buy wipes, you have to send the whole thing back in so someone can unscrew the end cap, drop in a new wipe, screw the endcap back on and mail it all back to you. I would imagine with postage and labor it must be at least $40... so silly.