Does anyone have any experience with OSS suppressors?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

jeffT-PGH

Does anyone have any experience with OSS suppressors?

Post by jeffT-PGH »

I just got my Sig SRD 45 and SRD 22x suppressors. I've shot the SRD 45 and love it. Very quiet with sub-sonic ammo.

I need to get my .22 barrels threaded but I suspect similar sound dampening results.

Anyways, I've got the suppressor bug and was wondering if anyone has used the OSS suppressors. I'm interested in a .30 suppressor to use with my .223/556 and .308.

I may stick with Sig. Or see what Q has.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
#40Fan
Silent But Deadly

Re: Does anyone have any experience with OSS suppressors?

Post by #40Fan »

Everything I have read or watched says they are good for gas guns. Keeps the blow back down. They meter higher than other cans using the official placement of the sound meter. Quieter at the ear of the shooter (gas guns).
jeffT-PGH

Post by jeffT-PGH »

Thanks. That's what I've seen & read too = Less blow back but a little louder.
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

Im in the Youngstown, OH area not too far from you in Pittsburgh. Im expecting the arrival of an OSS HX QD ti can any day now for use as a demo can. Once its here you are welcome to come out and try it out.
They also made OSS over the barrel designs initially which were 2 piece cans and octagonal shaped. Then they made a flush mount version. And now the QD version which is pretty much a sealed can. I have heard the flush mount version shot in the basement elsewhere as a demo and I thought it was pretty quiet. I have no fancy equiment to measure db's with but between the quietness and minimal gas to the face, I like them.
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
jeffT-PGH

Post by jeffT-PGH »

Hello RoodyRocker,

I appreciate your offer. I will definitely take you up on the offer. I don't know of any places in the PGH area that do a try before you buy for suppressors.

Do you have any other .30 suppressors? I am open to trying/buying any brand as long as its reputable and quite. I'm fine with you not having sound measurement equipment. I'll use my ears and decide which one sounds quietest to me.
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

Yes, I do have a couple other .30 caliber suppressors. I have a Rugged Surge 7.62 and and Silencerco Specwar. Tracking shows the OSS HX-QD Ti 7.62 to be arriving tomorrow! There is an outdoor state owned range here but i hate being at outdoor ranges in the frigid winter! LOL

Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
mlevans66

Post by mlevans66 »

I got got my mounts Saturday and I went to the range the next day.

Cons: Its was heavy at the end of a 10.5 barreled AR pistol, its a little louder then other rifle cans.
Pros: Lock up was solid and POI shift was almost not there. I have a TiN bolt and it was still clean after that 100 round mag dump.

I think if you hurry you can get a can with two free muzzle devices.

Good luck!
roodyrocker
Silent Operator

Post by roodyrocker »

mlevans66 wrote:I got got my mounts Saturday and I went to the range the next day.

Cons: Its was heavy at the end of a 10.5 barreled AR pistol, its a little louder then other rifle cans.
Pros: Lock up was solid and POI shift was almost not there. I have a TiN bolt and it was still clean after that 100 round mag dump.

I think if you hurry you can get a can with two free muzzle devices.

Good luck!
Which OSS can did you get? The over the barrel version or flush mount or the new HX-QD?
They also have the cans available in titanium which is more expensive but lighter. I just recived the HX-QD 7.62 Ti can but have not shot it yet.
Rudy
1791 Firearms, LLC
gsyoung54
Silent But Deadly

Post by gsyoung54 »

jeffT-PGH wrote:I just got my Sig SRD 45 and SRD 22x suppressors. I've shot the SRD 45 and love it. Very quiet with sub-sonic ammo.

I need to get my .22 barrels threaded but I suspect similar sound dampening results.

Anyways, I've got the suppressor bug and was wondering if anyone has used the OSS suppressors. I'm interested in a .30 suppressor to use with my .223/556 and .308.

I may stick with Sig. Or see what Q has.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
The Sig is a nice looking can but is loud compared to other industry leaders. For example the Rugged Obsidian in the SHORT configuration is as quiet as the SIG SRD45. In it's full length configuration the Obsidian is a whopping 10dB's quieter than the SIG. The dB scale is exponential, not linear, so a 10 dB reduction is enormous and hugely noticeable.

Please don't pay top dollar for .45 ACP ammunition marked "Subsonic". Remington and others offer this. ALL 45 230 grain hardball military load equivalent is inherently subsonic, so for range fun even cheap aluminum or steel cases ammo is well under the speed of sound at approx 1,100 fps at sea level at about 60 F.
If you want to hear quiet, try the Freedom Munitions HUSH 45 ACP. I've only tried the 230 grain and it's noticeably quieter than anything else you can buy. I think they make a heavier subgun cartridge that should work in big full sized handguns. They don't work good in lightweight Glocks.

I'm still setting up my reloading bench after my recent move to be closer to my Dad... he's getting up there. I have some great load data for 9mm and medium velocity 45 loads but they are 400 miles away. I'll be getting all my paperwork soon and would be happy to share with anyone who reloads.
George from Alaska