Issues with first round pop testing.

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

Issues with first round pop testing.

Post by silencertalk »

We test first round pop by subtracting the average level of the last nine shots from the level of the first shot.

This is a problem as it only uses one shot for the 'first' round. If you ever looked at the individual shot results in a 10 shot test, you can see that the standard deviation is pretty significant so any variation in the first shot cannot be isolated as 'pop.' What one would need to do is fire 10 'first' shots! Yes, that is very long and tedious but it is the only way.

I won't be firing 10 first shots because it is too hard to do given what I am being paid to do it -- but everyone -- take first round pop values with a grain of salt. The real 10 shot average sound level, however, is trustworthy.
Silent But Deadly

Post by #93 »

You might try taking a tank of compressed air along with you when you go to test, the kind you fill with an air compressor with one of the air nozzles that are used to blow things off. Then blow the compressed air through the can with the breech open to blow out all the smoke.

I don’t know how well it would work but it would save a lot of time if it did.

Thanks for all the work, time and money you have put into the site and the information in it. I have very much enjoyed it.

HTH #93
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Yes, that would work provided there was one of those water traps to keep the air dry. You are welcome. I would want to do this stuff for my own knowledge anyway, and I would rather share it than keep it to myself.