shootersdepot carbon fiber cans -- anyone tried these?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

shootersdepot carbon fiber cans -- anyone tried these?

Post by silencertalk »

Says they are 80 times stronger than steel! Wow. I would just have made them 1/80 the weight and the same strength. If a Surefire can is 19 ounces, they could make one just as strong that is 1/4 ounce for the entire can.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/inde ... =retrieval

We are "Class 2" manufacturers in Corpus Christi, Texas for 8 years now and we are specializing in suppressors (silencers)screw on or integrated, fully automatics, SBRs or SBSs and extremely accurete counter sniper rifles.

Our Website will be up and running by the end of Februafy 2006.
24 page full color catalogue $ 5.00 + $1.00 (S&H) or free with purchase or valid FFL (and SOT where it applies).
Our Carbon fiber suppressors are 80 times stronger than steel, 40 times stronger than Titanium at 1/2 the weight of aluminum. Carbon fibers heat dissipation qualities are well known, is also used on motocycle exaust covers, making the material ideal for very efficient suppressors.The threaded end of our suppressors is stainless and the buffers also carbon fiber, the only unit IN THE WORLD like that. EXTREMELY QUIET UNITS !!!
PRICES (gun not included):
9 mm , 7" long, 1.16"OD, 4.2 oz $799.00
.40, 7" long, 1.16"OD, 4.0 oz $ 825.00
.45, 8" long, 1.16"OD, 4.5 oz $ 849.00
.223,7.3"long,1.4"OD, 6.5 oz $ 1,050.00
.30, 9"long, 1.4" OD, 8.2 oz $ 1,080.00
Other models available by Special Order

All NFA rules apply
Contact Information
Name: George Koumbis
Street Address: 5401 Leopard Str.
City: Corpus Christi
State/Province: Texas
Zip/Postal Code: 78408
Telephone Number: (361) 299 1299
E-Mail Address: [email protected]
Web Site URL:
http://www.shootersdepot.com

Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

I have never heard of them. Looks cool.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I think it is very exciting. They are so light, they must have carbon baffles. I would love to test them to see if they are quiet and if they hold up.
LastDefender
Silent But Deadly

Post by LastDefender »

For real world use, I wonder how they will hold up to the elements such as cold and snow? :?:
losing nemo
Silent But Deadly

Post by losing nemo »

Guys I dont want to be a negative nelly hear but stay as far away from shooters depot as possible. The guy running that place is the biggest crook I have ever met in the firearms industry. I have known the guy for a couple of years now and he is off the deep end for sure. I have gone in to his shop and found used Coastal suppressors of different calibers for sale in the $500 range, and the guy will also tell you he manufactured them. Then if your lucky, you can listen to him go on and on about how stupid his customers are for asking qeustions about his products and he might even throw in some stories about how he had to set peaple straight by threatening them with physical force. To put it plainly, the guys a fucking nut job, and I cant beleive he's still in buisness. He offered me a good deal on doing some design work on a gun range for him and I knew better. I dont know how good the carbon cans are, and I know this could be taken as hear say, but stay away from this guy. Hell, all you have to do is call him and listen for about 5 minutes and u will know what I'm talking about.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I wanna know how they will hold up to +1200 degrees when I dump a 30 round mag through it.

They make a big point about their material being 80 times stronger than steel. I assume they mean by units of weight.

Their .308 can is 8.2 ounces. A steel can is about 3.5 times that in weight.

So 80 divided by 3.5 and their can should still be 23 times stronger than an SWR, Gemtech, or AAC steel can. Let's be conservative and say it is just 20 times stronger.

I have dumped some belts through an AAC 762-SD with an M-60 and it held up fine. With this carbon can being 20+ times stronger, it should take any number of belts without trouble.
Kevin/AAC

Post by Kevin/AAC »

You do the sound testing and send it to me for the Belt-Fed Tough testing.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I will take losing nemos's word on this. I bet it would blow apart on a belt-fed in short order.
losing nemo
Silent But Deadly

Post by losing nemo »

Like I said, the guys a fucking nut job. Even if he proved to me he made a good can, I could still think of about 100 reasons not to buy it. Down here we have a small gun show circuit called the "Three Rivers Gun Show" that is made up of a small group of dealers whoe are all pretty good folks and Gorge, the owner of Shooters Depot, was thrown out of the traveling gun show for numerous countings of unsigtful behavior. He was actually the first guy that I ever saw selling NFA stuff, and I thank my lucky stars that I didnt ever buy anything from him in the begining due to being green to the whole seen. If he ever gets his web site up and running, you will see what I'm talking about.
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

A freind ("Mad Sceintist type/Class II Manufacturer") made a Carbon fiber baffled integral on a Ram Line 22lr pistol (I believe the pistol was called the "Photon"). Loaded, it was under a pound I seem to recall.
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
DevL
Silent But Deadly

Post by DevL »

The carbon fiber (there are many types I know but just as an example) on my ABS carbon fiber wrapped 5.56 barrel cannot have an Ops Inc suppressor installed on it. Since the outside of the barrel acts as the interior wall of the suppressor and direct contact with the rifles gasses will destroy the carbon fiber over a few hundred rounds.

I am thinking this suppressor will work... for a few rounds.

If it is as advertised steel cans will become obsolete overnight. I am kind of doubting that is going to happen though.
mpallett

Post by mpallett »

Help - I left my new %100 carbon fiber can in the solvent take for a week to clean it out. I like to have my suppressors nice and clean.

When I cam back it was gone. I think someone might have taken it.

:D
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I have decided if somone can do an all-carbon can that worked I would be excited and would be ok with never putting it in solvents.
Scott S.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Scott S. »

I would buy an 8 ounce or 9 ounce or even a 10 ounce .308 can
in heartbeat. Provided it performed like my Omega...............
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

From what I have read they seem to be popular in England.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
DevL
Silent But Deadly

Post by DevL »

So are they going to send you a demo can? Are you giong to buy one and test it?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Neither. I did not ask them nor will I buy one. Their claims are too outlandish.

I would be happy to give them a fair test, but I don't want to talk them into it.
GDITheman

Post by GDITheman »

the guy at shooter's depot is less informed about NFA items than most of us are. everything he carries is junk and has the price tag of a quality product. he makes his money off the customers that are ignorant to the nfa world and take his word for it. i've known him for 6 years or so and can't stand to listen to a word he says. i've asked him about a few NFA laws and his comments on them contradicted what i later read from the ATF.

problems:
1) junk products and takes credit for "manufacturing" something that he assembled from a kit
2) not very well informed on NFA laws and can get you in trouble if you are not informed.

i can't say anything good about the guy. hell, he wanted to charge me a 10% fee for an m16 transfer and then make me pay sales tax on it. F--k him.
quietshooter

another tale

Post by quietshooter »

Back during the assault weapons ban, this nut was taking new colt ar receivers adding a 7" upper and collapsible buttstock and papering them as AOW's... A buddy of a buddy bought one and I tried to warn him but he did it anyway. The buddy even called atf and asked them if it was ok. their response was: If he papered it as an AOW, then its an AOW. It failed to cycle and he still has it gathering dust in his safe. If you ever see this yutz at a show in texas, just keep walking.
PvtPyle

Post by PvtPyle »

DevL wrote:The carbon fiber (there are many types I know but just as an example) on my ABS carbon fiber wrapped 5.56 barrel cannot have an Ops Inc suppressor installed on it. Since the outside of the barrel acts as the interior wall of the suppressor and direct contact with the rifles gasses will destroy the carbon fiber over a few hundred rounds.

The Ops Inc can is sealed inside, it does not use the bbl as the inner wall. There may be some gases coming back thru the long rows of threads, and that is why they have the collar. But I have not seen any real build up on my bbl under the can where it telescopes back over the bbl, even after full auto fire.
DevL
Silent But Deadly

Post by DevL »

I am just reporting axactly what ABS told me. I have not seen nor used an Ops can.
PvtPyle

Post by PvtPyle »

Who is ABS? I've got one here, and about 24 of them at work and they are all the same. They telescope back over the bbl, but there is an inner sleeve that covers the bbl.
GDITheman

Post by GDITheman »

i don't even think george at SD has anything more than a lathe to "manufacture" his nfa items. i think he just buys suppressor kits from other manufacturers and put his name on them. he doesn't have the capabilities of making anything from carbon fiber.
centurion
Industry Professional

Post by centurion »

OPS inc cans are sealed with an inner liner and you wont see any gas leaking back. I've seen a bunch of these with heavy use and never seen it leak. The collar is for a tension attachment method.

http://www.guns.connect.fi/gow/highpow.html
www.centurionarms.com
usmc-2-usn

Post by usmc-2-usn »

I am with GDITheman on George at Shooter's Depot. I was stationed in corpus christi for primary flight school and decided to pay this guy a visit. His shop is in the "hood" with prostitutes literally sitting on the bench outside his store, and NO s--t...he operates a strip joint that is located in the back of the gun store!!

He referred to himself as the "crazy greek" and his ramblings were very unconvincing. He does not do any machine work, but says the guns and suppressors are his design. The suppressors are light, but i don't know how quiet. His prices seem o the rediculous side, especially on "regular guns"...suppressor pricing not too bad considering how hard it is to work with carbon fiber...if they compare to a mainstream steel or titanium can it would be cool.

I would do business with George with caution...seems like he has good intentions, but not totally sane.