More testing for indoor CQB scenarios. 5.56mm. Part deux.

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

More testing for indoor CQB scenarios. 5.56mm. Part deux.

Post by silencertalk »

Due to users saying they anticipate having to shoot indoors or near cover, we now regularly do testing in confined spaces. This is part two of a three part test.

Note that the results are not comparable to open-field testing and may differ by a few dB. In any case, never compare one test to another test done at a different time/place. You may compare these results to part 1 and part 3.

Video: http://www.vimeo.com/1475099

paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

I really enjoy these videos.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I would enjoy the videos more if some scantly clad women did the shooting and data recording :lol:
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Mongo wrote:I would enjoy the videos more if some scantly clad women did the shooting and data recording :lol:
That makes many activities more enjoyable :lol:
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Well done thanks.............
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
cocoboots
Silent But Deadly

Post by cocoboots »

looks like I made a good choice when I got my m4-1k instead of the surefire
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

I'm begging you guys, get us a downloadable version! I don't care if it's a GB per file, I would love to have this video on my laptop for watching when I'm not online.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

wow.

I can't wait to see pistol cans.

Thank you for taking the time and money to do these tests.
NFAtalk.org
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

cocoboots wrote:looks like I made a good choice when I got my m4-1k instead of the surefire
Yeah and you saved only $775 (MSRP based)

Now it is easy to see why AAC has been saying the M4-1000 was a hell of a deal.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
GRANDPA07
Silent But Deadly

Post by GRANDPA07 »

What is the logic in comparing a 4.7 inch SRT Typhoon to a 7.25 inch m4-2000 and/or longer cans in general? Wouldnt a 08 SRT Hurricane be more fitting for this league of cans?
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

They claim the Typhoon is significantly better than it is, IIRC. It is fair to compare them because SRT claims they are similar.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

GRANDPA07 wrote:What is the logic in comparing a 4.7 inch SRT Typhoon to a 7.25 inch m4-2000 and/or longer cans in general? Wouldnt a 08 SRT Hurricane be more fitting for this league of cans?
The Typhoon is heavier than the M4-1000. I happen to believe weight is just as much of a classification as length. Also it is what we had. You can see the flash in the video also. It has been said that it has no flash. Then it was said that maybe it has flash on a really short barrel but not an M4. Well this was an M4 test.

viewtopic.php?t=9772
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Another great video! :P
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
Battlecloth
Silent But Deadly

Post by Battlecloth »

Any chance of an Omni being tested?
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I mean... I'm flabbergasted.

Was that a two one twelve? or a two twelve model? Jesus Christ.

Good test, they look evenly paired... I'd like to see the Cyclops fire in that range. It looked good, I think I should quit posting in these threads.

I think my car will be keyed if I make it to a silencer shoot.

Sorry for my confusion in the earlier thread.

But it looked good, looked scientifically correct, and in all honesty, you guys looked completely bored, but it's a necessary evil for that line of work, and to finally put an end to Titsworth's eligibility of an argument.

I don't know what else he can say, except they were AAC employees, in which case, if it wasn't AAC employees, they'd be on the AAC Pay roll, and if it wasn't that, it'd be something else.

Then again, I don't need to jump on the Titsworth bashing bandwagon, one thing I will say about the guy, even if he has a vendetta, has done a lot of things awkwardly, he's done a hell of a lot more than myself and I'd say many others testing suppressors. Definitely gone out on a limb.

I just think this little... contest or whatever it is, chip on his shoulder he needs to get over it.

But then again, I don't test suppressors and don't own any, and seeing my batting average with Suppressor Fact's maybe I shouldn't comment anymore.

That's all I've got.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Conqueror wrote:I'm begging you guys, get us a downloadable version! I don't care if it's a GB per file, I would love to have this video on my laptop for watching when I'm not online.
+1

Streaming sucks.
PGHTerrain

Post by PGHTerrain »

Did anyone else notice that the gentleman recording the readings (okay!) wasn't wearing his hearing protection when the M4-1000 was tested? Maybe he was wearing plugs (I couldn't see any) or maybe the M4-1000 is pretty sweet... He did have them on again for the next can tested and all other tests including the first video. Does this mean anything?
AZDoug
Industry Professional

Post by AZDoug »

Conqueror wrote:They claim the Typhoon is significantly better than it is, IIRC. It is fair to compare them because SRT claims they are similar.
I NEVER claimed the Typhon to be equal to all other cans, it is designed (in thread mount form), to only add 4.1" to the overall length of the barrel, and have reduced noise at the operators ear compared to other suppressors; in thread mount form, it is a 16 ounce can.

Stick a current version Hurricane, or Hurricane XL in your comparisons if you want apples to apples.

the Hurricane is 7 db quieter than a Typhoon, and the Hurricane XL is 11-12 db quieter than a Typhoon, 1 meter to the left of the muzzle.

Why you pick the loudest can we make to compare it to your best stuff is beyond me. Well, maybe it isn't beyond me.

Doug
www.srtarms.com
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

AZDoug wrote:
Conqueror wrote:They claim the Typhoon is significantly better than it is, IIRC. It is fair to compare them because SRT claims they are similar.
I NEVER claimed the Typhon to be equal to all other cans, it is designed (in thread mount form), to only add 4.1" to the overall length of the barrel, and have reduced noise at the operators ear compared to other suppressors; in thread mount form, it is a 16 ounce can.

Stick a current version Hurricane, or Hurricane XL in your comparisons if you want apples to apples.

the Hurricane is 7 db quieter than a Typhoon, and the Hurricane XL is 11-12 db quieter than a Typhoon, 1 meter to the left of the muzzle.

Why you pick the loudest can we make to compare it to your best stuff is beyond me. Well, maybe it isn't beyond me.

Doug
www.srtarms.com
Send us anything that you feel is "apples to apples" (your best can). I don't think that we can justify buying another unit from you. Besides, your smallest 5.56mm model was already heavier than even our largest Cyclone .308 can and 7 oz. heavier than our 5.56mm can, so it would not make sense to go up further in size for assault rifle use.

We would not have included your can in the tests, but when we tested flash before with your Typhoon suppressor one of the responses was that it was designed for a 14.5" barrel instead of a 10". So, this time we tested it for sound and flash on the M4 with a 14.5" barrel.

Are you saying that the XXL will do 38dB?

According to your website the Typhoon-QD is quieter than the thread on Typhoon:
"Weight is under 24 ounces, and perfoms 1 db quieter than the standard Typhoon."

In general our rifle silencer testing will be against our strongest competition; which for our market is really only SF currently.
Last edited by Kevin/AAC on Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
AZDoug
Industry Professional

Post by AZDoug »

Kevin/AAC wrote: Send us anything that you feel is "apples to apples" (your best can). I don't think that we can justify buying another unit from you. Besides, your smallest 5.56mm model was already heavier than even our largest Cyclone .308 can and 7 oz heavier than our 5.56mm can, so it would not make sense to go up further in size for assault rifle use.
Well, my cans don't fall apart under full auto fire, so I guess the extra weight does something.

Anything I send out will be to Titsworth at Silencerresearch.com, because he is honest, and doesn't have an agenda.

Doug
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

rsilvers wrote:viewtopic.php?t=9772
Glad to see this hasn't gone away, but looks like someone did parse out a lot of it! (and rightfully so.)

Anytime you want me to get "The Oregon Crew" back together,
we will test anything you like. :wink:

Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

BTW: Where are the EVO45's we ordered at SHOT?

O, yea, still working on them. Come On guys.

(ooops, now we will NEVER get them)
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
Fletcher/AAC
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Fletcher/AAC »

We are building the last one now, your Evo-45s are going out next week.
Sales for AAC
770-925-9988
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

So, with the help of Mr. Silvers & Co, we discovered WHY that can produced such a flash. (read the above link)

It would be interesting to do similar testing with a NON-QD mount.

Just my $ 0.02
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC
PCArms
Silent But Deadly

Post by PCArms »

Fletcher/AAC wrote:We are building the last one now, your Evo-45s are going out next week.
Thanks, looking forward to hearing (or NOT hearing them).

We could have used them earlier this summer, we missed out on TWO different PD Demos that we could not show a sample of your product.
Pat
www.ORL-LLC.com
OregonResearchLabs, LLC