762-SD range report...very pleased!

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

powderburn
Silent But Deadly

762-SD range report...very pleased!

Post by powderburn »

I finally got my FN SPR-A1 back from GA Precision about a week ago. They threaded my rifle and installed my blackout mount for me since I dont have any gunsmiths in town that I trusted with this. Last friday I took it to my outdoor range and gave it a shot. It was an extremely hot day in central FL. About 95 degrees and humid. I shot unsuppressed first to see where the shots were going and then attached the suppressor. Much to my surprise there was very little POI shift, even on my long 24" barrel. I was using only a harris bipod & sandsock as a rest. I was using federal gold medal 168gr SMK ammo since my rifle likes this load and lake city M118LR the best. The group you see below was 7 shots fired consecutively grouped into 1.5" @ 100 yards. I feel with a little more practice I can shrink that group. As far as the can's performance i'll put it this way...I had another shooter to my left shooting a remmy 700 .308 of his own....as soon as I fired the first shot suppressed, his head popped up and looked at my rifle and said "DAMN!....." It was incredibly quiet to the point I was able to hear the rounds thump the backstop downrange when my friend shot the rifle. The sound reduction coupled with the accuracy I was able to keep makes me a very satisfied customer! Here is my group mentioned earlier:
Currently Enjoying these Hush-Sticks:
AAC 762-SD Mod '08
AAC M4-2000 Mod '07
AAC Evolution .45
SWR Spectre
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

Glad to see another happy 762SD owner. :D

I have one on my remington 700 and love it, It is one of my favorite guns to shoot. :D
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

Dude, Shoot it on a .223 and be amazed.. Sure, .223 cans are better, and were specifically made for the .223, but the versatility to be able to use a 762 can on a .223 10.5" SBR and have it sound almost the same as most .223 cans is well... SPECIAL...
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
powderburn
Silent But Deadly

Post by powderburn »

Raines/762-SD wrote:Dude, Shoot it on a .223 and be amazed.. Sure, .223 cans are better, and were specifically made for the .223, but the versatility to be able to use a 762 can on a .223 10.5" SBR and have it sound almost the same as most .223 cans is well... SPECIAL...
ive heard those claims :D

Id give it a try if I didnt already have 51-tooth mounts on all my AR's lol
AAC 762-SD Mod '08
AAC M4-2000 Mod '07
AAC Evolution .45
SWR Spectre
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

powderburn wrote:
Raines/762-SD wrote:Dude, Shoot it on a .223 and be amazed.. Sure, .223 cans are better, and were specifically made for the .223, but the versatility to be able to use a 762 can on a .223 10.5" SBR and have it sound almost the same as most .223 cans is well... SPECIAL...

It should still fit..
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Raines/762-SD wrote:
powderburn wrote:

It should still fit..
The spring will catch on the fine teeth of the 51 tooth? Or Just the acme threads?
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

CKOD wrote:
Raines/762-SD wrote:
powderburn wrote: ive heard those claims :D

It should still fit..
The spring will catch on the fine teeth of the 51 tooth? Or Just the acme threads?
Spring should catch the teeth..
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
CKOD
Silent But Deadly

Post by CKOD »

Raines/762-SD wrote:
CKOD wrote:
Raines/762-SD wrote:
It should still fit..
Oh damnit, I'm never going to freaking figure out what I want to put on my rifles at this rate :-/

I wanted to get a SCAR-H SD, and use it on my .30 and .22 rifles, but the SPR-m4 mount wont work with a SCAR-H, though there may be one that does in the future...

But with a 762sd I can get a mount for my M14, 300 whisper AR-15, and 5.56 AR-15, and get muzzle brakes for the AR's which would unneeded, but nice. And, I can get a M4 2k at a later point for the 5.56 upper...

Does it lock on solidly to the 51 tooth mount? Or is it something that fits, is concentric, but may loosen in a few mags?.
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

CKOD wrote:
Raines/762-SD wrote:
CKOD wrote: The spring will catch on the fine teeth of the 51 tooth? Or Just the acme threads?
Oh damnit, I'm never going to freaking figure out what I want to put on my rifles at this rate :-/

I wanted to get a SCAR-H SD, and use it on my .30 and .22 rifles, but the SPR-m4 mount wont work with a SCAR-H, though there may be one that does in the future...

But with a 762sd I can get a mount for my M14, 300 whisper AR-15, and 5.56 AR-15, and get muzzle brakes for the AR's which would unneeded, but nice. And, I can get a M4 2k at a later point for the 5.56 upper...

Does it lock on solidly to the 51 tooth mount? Or is it something that fits, is concentric, but may loosen in a few mags?.
I haven't done this myself to be clear, but from what some of my friends have said, it should work fine with no problems.. I'de ask an AAC guy first though..
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
powderburn
Silent But Deadly

Post by powderburn »

Its my understanding its NOT recommended to use an 18-tooth can on a 51 tooth mount and vice versa. It may or may not screw on okay but why chance it with an NFA item. We wait too fricken long to get our stamps so why be careless? :?
AAC 762-SD Mod '08
AAC M4-2000 Mod '07
AAC Evolution .45
SWR Spectre
xdeano
Silent But Deadly

Post by xdeano »

Powderburn,

Do a quick bedding job on that SPR and your groups will shrink considerably. That's the only difference between the A1's and A3G's and they guarantee 1/2" accuracy at 100yds.

Nice report by the way.

xdeano
powderburn
Silent But Deadly

Post by powderburn »

xdeano wrote:Powderburn,

Do a quick bedding job on that SPR and your groups will shrink considerably. That's the only difference between the A1's and A3G's and they guarantee 1/2" accuracy at 100yds.

Nice report by the way.

xdeano
Ive thought about doing that but wondered if it was worth the expense. Turns out it might. Maybe in the next few months ill send the rifle back to GA Precision for some bedding and an oversized bolt knob. I find the stock knob on the model 70-style bolts to be kinda small and cumbersome. Oh yea I should also mention the rifle has the same stock 4.5 to 5lb trigger pull it came from the factory with. Perhaps a trigger tweak will shrink that a bit as well. The test target my rifle came with was done at 50yds and produced a 3-shot group of .19". I know the accuracy is there I just need to tap it...
AAC 762-SD Mod '08
AAC M4-2000 Mod '07
AAC Evolution .45
SWR Spectre
xdeano
Silent But Deadly

Post by xdeano »

That should still shoot under half inch at 100yds then.

Bedding a rifle isn't that hard really. Just buy some marine tex and you can save yourself some money.

A trigger job would be the first mission on my agenda.

Lets see some pics of the rifle/suppressor!!!

xdeano
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Powderburn, how long was the "turn around" on your threading job from Georgia Precision?
powderburn
Silent But Deadly

Post by powderburn »

ATCDoktor wrote:Powderburn, how long was the "turn around" on your threading job from Georgia Precision?
Here comes my +1 for GAP. I spoke to Karey(sp?) on the phone before I ever sent the rifle in and he said right now they really werent looking to take on any major gunsmithing jobs because I guess theyre focusing on their own rifles. However, because my request was so small they agreed to do it. He told me on the phone that turnaround would be around 3-4 weeks. No problem I thought seeing as ive waiting much longer than that for the actual can itself. Well imagine my surprise when a week and a half after shipping it I get a phonecall from the nice lady at the front desk at GAP saying my rifle was done and needed payment info. I was very surprised how quickly they did it and when i got it back it looked very professionally done. I believe I paid $170 total. That included insured shipping back to me. Im gonna have to take pics of the setup next time I drag it out.

Oh yea I also invested in one of the TAB Gear anti-mirage covers for the suppressor and it worked as advertised. The can got hot but I saw no mirage coming from the generated heat. Very happy with that as well.
AAC 762-SD Mod '08
AAC M4-2000 Mod '07
AAC Evolution .45
SWR Spectre
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Powderburn, thanks for the info and the review. I need a 762 SD but can't find anyone with one in stock.
powderburn
Silent But Deadly

Post by powderburn »

I believe Polite Society Inc. has some 762-SD's in stock...call Mark just to be sure but it seems they do on their website
AAC 762-SD Mod '08
AAC M4-2000 Mod '07
AAC Evolution .45
SWR Spectre
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

I saw them on their website but was hesitatnt to call and order.

There were a couple of threads here of late reference problems with transactions with PS.

Whether those problems were real or imagined, solved or still pending resolution, I don't know but I am somewhat leary about doing business with them after reading those threads.
tigerdog
Senior Silent Operator

Post by tigerdog »

Those threads were bullshit.....

Polite Society is one of the most respected dealers (along with a few others I can count on one hand) on this board.

They have taken care of me and given me customer service well beyond the norm... I have three cans from them (including a 762-SD), and I am getting ready to buy a forth. Don't let the petty thread bitching on the boards misguide your decision.

If you want to know more details PM me.

T-Dog
slapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by slapshot »

i second Tigerdog's comments

oh- and to the OP- yes we will need pics!!! 8)
ATCDoktor
Silent But Deadly

Post by ATCDoktor »

Tigerdog-PM sent