Gemtech Outback 2 - So far so good

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

heliguy
Senior Silent Operator

Gemtech Outback 2 - So far so good

Post by heliguy »

Just got my first can, the Outback 2!!!! Slapped it on a Sig Mosquito (which sucks, nother story for nother forum...), loaded up 10 rounds of remington subsonics, opened the backdoor and shot away. Absolutely amazed at the sound reduction! The cat didn't even move sitting 10 ft away! Great product for $250 NIB!
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

Congrats I've had one for years and still love it. Never tried to clean it or anything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

It is a nice suppressor, good choice, I like mine alot too. :D But you know you dont have to use those remington subsonics out of that mosquito, I use the Federal Bulk pack 550 rounds copper plated standard velocity out of my Walther P22 and it sounds great also because the barrel on those pistols arent enough to make a standard .22 go supersonic. I dont really like too shoot unplated .22 through my suppressor as .22's are dirty as is. Ive read that CCI's standard velocity copper plated are somewhat cleaner..(?)
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

It faired in 3rd place in the 2005 tests IIRC......
NFAtalk.org
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

My Outback 2 was my first can. It is an excellent can, still the lightest I think, compact, solid performance on a pistol and good performance on a rifle. Some of the superstar dB reducers on pistols step back in line in when used on rifles. Excellent value in the OB-2.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

Wyatt9k wrote:...But you know you dont have to use those remington subsonics out of that mosquito....
My Mosquito makes Fed bulk pack (and pretty much all other 22 ammo) go supersonic, but my P22 doesn't...FYI.
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

Really?

Mosquito barrel length 4.9" w/ threaded barrel (from sig's website)

I also have a have a KelTec PLR-16 .223 with a barrel length of 9.2" (from KelTec's website) that I use my OB-2 on and it does not go supersonic at all, and when I hold the bolt foward with my finger for a single shot it is spooky quiet.
gdragon
Silent But Deadly

Post by gdragon »

Wyatt9k wrote:I also have a have a KelTec PLR-16 .223 with a barrel length of 9.2" (from KelTec's website) that I use my OB-2 on and it does not go supersonic at all, and when I hold the bolt foward with my finger for a single shot it is spooky quiet.
huh?
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

Wyatt9k wrote:Really?

Mosquito barrel length 4.9" w/ threaded barrel (from sig's website)
There's a bunch of people in this thread referring to how the Mosquito goes supersonic. viewtopic.php?t=43885

I also have a have a KelTec PLR-16 .223 with a barrel length of 9.2" (from KelTec's website) that I use my OB-2 on and it does not go supersonic at all, and when I hold the bolt foward with my finger for a single shot it is spooky quiet.
You shoot .223 through your OB2??? :shock:
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

silentobsession wrote:
You shoot .223 through your OB2??? :shock:
Sure isnt that what everyone is doing? lol :oops: I meant PLR-22...not .223 ah ha ha haaaa.... 8) I dont know what the hell I was thinking when I wrote that last response.. :)

But I honestly dont know why the Mosquito would be going supersonic with standard .22's if my longer barrel PLR-22 sounds rediculously quiet, and the P22's barrel is just a touch shorter than the Mosquito's barrel.

So.

........................................Barrel Length
Sig Mosquito(threaded).....4.9 But does go supersonic w/ Fed bulk pack

P22(with thread adapter....3.9~ Does not go supersonic w/ Fed bulk pack

PLR-22............................10.1 Does not go supersonic w/ Fed bulk pack

Thats odd.
heliguy
Senior Silent Operator

Post by heliguy »

Wyatt9k wrote:It is a nice suppressor, good choice, I like mine alot too. :D But you know you dont have to use those remington subsonics out of that mosquito, I use the Federal Bulk pack 550 rounds copper plated standard velocity out of my Walther P22 and it sounds great also because the barrel on those pistols arent enough to make a standard .22 go supersonic. I dont really like too shoot unplated .22 through my suppressor as .22's are dirty as is. Ive read that CCI's standard velocity copper plated are somewhat cleaner..(?)
Didn't know that @ the sub's vs standard velocity. I'll give it the soundmeter test and post the results. The sub's are expensive so thanks for the tip!
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

no prob :)
MD3C
Silent Operator

Outback 2

Post by MD3C »

My Outback 2 was my first can. I like everything about it.
M
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
peterlem0njello
Silent But Deadly

Post by peterlem0njello »

Wasn't there a post/thread on this forum about how to take apart the Outback so you can disassemble it when you want?
jimmym40a2
Elite Member

Post by jimmym40a2 »

yeah there is one if you do a search.............

bake in over at 600 degrees for..................yade ya da..........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEZJ_C4LwzA
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

Congrats on your 1st can. Be warned IT WILL NOT BE YOUR LAST :oops:
I always tell the truth, even when I lie
WoofersInc
Silent Operator

Post by WoofersInc »

Wasn't there a post/thread on this forum about how to take apart the Outback so you can disassemble it when you want?
One of the Gemtech reps posted on AR15.com that you can request to have the endcaps left unsealed when sending it in for cleaning so that they can be taken apart for cleaning.