AAC 7.62 muzzle brake???

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

alpha6164

AAC 7.62 muzzle brake???

Post by alpha6164 »

I have an FNAR and want to have a MB installed and since i already own a 7.62SD i figured i might want to give AAC's brake a shot in case i want to use a suppressor with it. Cant find much reviews about the performance of the brake as far as recoil and muzzle rise reduction? How do you think it compares to the likes of SJC Titan, Surefire, PWS etc? Thanks for all the inputs.
M16MANIAC
Silent But Deadly

Post by M16MANIAC »

I have not used the 762 model brake but I do run the 5.56 model and it works great.
USMC1986
Silent Operator

Post by USMC1986 »

Alpha,

If you're still around, hopefully I'll be able to tell you within 2 weeks. I'm having my barrel chopped to 20", threaded and the 762SD brake timed at GAP.
USMC1986
Silent Operator

Post by USMC1986 »

Alpha,

I received my action back last night. Went out and put about 40 rds downrange before the thunderstorms started rolling in.

I'd say the brake is effective. I've used the Roedale and FTE brakes, the AAC rates up there with them as far as recoil reduction. Never had an issue with muzzle rise as I don't fire in full auto.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The AAC brake was carefully designed to be the most efficient for its size.
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

Not that you guys at AAC don't already have way too many projects and products to keep up with production....

BUT, maybe since you hate the noise/blast of traditional muzzle brakes so much, you could design something like the TTB for less blast and noise and also have silencer mounting capability.
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

jdj wrote:Not that you guys at AAC don't already have way too many projects and products to keep up with production....

BUT, maybe since you hate the noise/blast of traditional muzzle brakes so much, you could design something like the TTB for less blast and noise and also have silencer mounting capability.
The brakeout accomplishes pretty much exactly this- less blast/noise than a full-on muzzle brake, but a lot more recoil/rise management than a hider.
Kick Ass Design
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

JasonAAC wrote: The brakeout accomplishes pretty much exactly this- less blast/noise than a full-on muzzle brake, but a lot more recoil/rise management than a hider.
Yes, but it still has 3 large jets for the gas - I imagine it would kick up a lot more s--t into your face if you shot it near the ground in a non-traditional shooting position than the TTB.

I like the concept, but I'd like photo comparisons to the blackout in terms of flash - like the photos Silvers posted years ago. It seems superfluous to have the flash-hiding prongs after the brake when you've just shot 3 jets of bright flash out from the brake. But what do i know - again, i'd like to see some pics.

I don't own an AAC can, but I did just order one of the non-mount blackout hiders from Brownells because the performance is so impressive.
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

jdj wrote:
JasonAAC wrote: The brakeout accomplishes pretty much exactly this- less blast/noise than a full-on muzzle brake, but a lot more recoil/rise management than a hider.
Yes, but it still has 3 large jets for the gas - I imagine it would kick up a lot more s--t into your face if you shot it near the ground in a non-traditional shooting position than the TTB.

I like the concept, but I'd like photo comparisons to the blackout in terms of flash - like the photos Silvers posted years ago. It seems superfluous to have the flash-hiding prongs after the brake when you've just shot 3 jets of bright flash out from the brake. But what do i know - again, i'd like to see some pics.

I don't own an AAC can, but I did just order one of the non-mount blackout hiders from Brownells because the performance is so impressive.
Would be interesting to test... environmental disturbance. The bottom is closed on the brakeout, so most blast goes up and sideways. as for flash, it's not close to the full on Blackout- that thing is amazing on flash.
Kick Ass Design
loki*hunter
Silent Operator

Re: AAC 7.62 muzzle brake???

Post by loki*hunter »

Has anyone compared the performance of the AAC brake against anything else out there? I am interested in using it on a 18" JP LRP-07 for competition but adding my 762-SDN-6 can when not competing. Competition limits brakes to 1" x 3".... I think the AAC brake is closer to 3/4" x 2". I am just wondering how much recoil reduction I would be loosing if I were to switch from the larger brake to the AAC brake. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by GlockandRoll »

silencertalk wrote:The AAC brake was carefully designed to be the most efficient for its size.
Hey Robert, feel free to loan me one for an eval!
:)
uvausmc

Re: AAC 7.62 muzzle brake???

Post by uvausmc »

loki*hunter wrote:Has anyone compared the performance of the AAC brake against anything else out there? I am interested in using it on a 18" JP LRP-07 for competition but adding my 762-SDN-6 can when not competing. Competition limits brakes to 1" x 3".... I think the AAC brake is closer to 3/4" x 2". I am just wondering how much recoil reduction I would be loosing if I were to switch from the larger brake to the AAC brake. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I just installed the AAC Brake on my 18" LRP-07 for the same purpose. I'm still waiting on my SDN-6 but going off of the performance of the same brake on a couple other rifles I have, I think it will work well. I'm not as sensitive about how loud the brake is like a lot of people. Guns are loud. Ear pro/a can fixes that. The recoil management is great and the brake is relatively compact. I switched from the factory installed JP brake to the AAC and can't tell a difference in recoil/control, they both are great.