Surefire Supressors

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

Kudu22 wrote:Tuukka

Our testing averages are at least 5 (10 round) groups with the mic no more than 8" to the shooters left ear.
Do you have any numbers from a MIL-STDish test so the numbers are a little more in line with tests from say John Titsworth or other manufacturers?
Kudu22
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kudu22 »

Let me find out what the test code is on what I mentioned. One thing is there is not "one" standard test/equipment protocol that everyone must use. There needs to be one and there needs to be specs on the sound equipment used. We do other sound testing when designing suppressors (ie different distances and such) but we do so with the latest in technology sound equipment. We have over 40k in sound equipment and run multiple microphones at different distances. We submit to what ever testing methods a military or LE group during their evaluations.

Testing at the shooters ear is a standard and is very important to military/LE groups and gives them the peak value to evaluate from. The sound testing has hundreds of variables that could come into affect.
Garin Lee
Surefire Suppressor Marketing Manager
[email protected]
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

thanks

Post by [email protected] »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:
Kudu22 wrote:You can expect an average of these dB levels using M855 ammo from your weapon. These averages were off a 16" MRP

Micro 139 dB
Mini 137dB
FA556-212 135dB
What's this? A manufacturer that releases Db reduction data?

How Refreshing!

Thanks for sharing your data, seriously.

:)
+1 Thanks for the data kudu!!!
KCS

Post by KCS »

Which is the shortest surefire suppressor that you can use on an M4 commando with the 11.5 inch barrel? Which muzzle brake adapter do you have to use with that particular can? Thanks.
gthirteen
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gthirteen »

I believe that you can use any (even the back over the barrel FA556AR with the mount made specifically for this purpose) Surefire can on this barrel. The answer depends on whether the Micro or the Mini are going to be available for civvy purchase.

The 212/K model, the Micro and the Mini are all "end mount" designs and dont index over the barrel.
Kudu22
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kudu22 »

The MINI is your shortest suppressor to use on a 11.5" barrel. We don't recommend the MICRO on less than 14" barrel. The MINI adds 2.75" to the weapon and uses the same adapters as the FA556-212. Both the MINI and MICRO are open for civilian purchase. The MICRO has not hit the streets yet as we just finished the samples for the reps. We are taking orders on them soon.
Garin Lee
[email protected]
pdp373

Post by pdp373 »

The only site/manufacturer I've run into that specifies how they test, and claim to be IAW military testing protocols is at:

http://www.eliteiron.net/measuresound.html

They don't specify the specific milspec by number ... so that leaves some wiggle room.

Four sources to find "ground zero" on milspec jump to my mind. If the folks in these offices don't know off the top of their head(s), they ought to know who the keeper of the testing milspec is.

1. Office of the Program Manager (PM) for Small Arms in the Army ... probably one in the USMC as well. Title may be a bit off ... but there is (should be) just ONE PM who is sole source for procuring small arms.

2. The office at the Infantry School/Fort Benning that handles sniper training.

3. The JFK Special Warfare School at Fort Bragg. They have a lot of elbow room when it comes to neat toys, and if anybody has involvement with sound testing milspec, it ought to be these guys.

4. Lastly, the genuine, official testing folks. They have changed their name & logo since I dealt with them in the early '90s ... I think to avoid all the hate mail they got. Some deserved ... some not ... but that's another topic ........ :roll:

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Paul, LTC (Ret)
ChrisNCT
Silent Operator

Surefire Can approved and picked up today!

Post by ChrisNCT »

Man this is sooo much fun! Surefire Can approved and picked up today!

Mailed Form 4 using Trust February 22nd, 2010
Approved April 14th, 2010
Recieved in mail and picked up April 26th, 2010

Examiners Rob Howard & Suzanne Santamaria

Surefire FA556AR was the can

JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Surefire Can approved and picked up today!

Post by JasonAAC »

ChrisNCT wrote:...snip...
It's great to be able to pick up new toys!
Kick Ass Design
alanparsons
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alanparsons »

I would rather cut my own dick off and use it for a can over AWC. Surefire is good but at that price get the AAC and you get safety from the welded core and awesome suppression...plus that PING! I can hear my bolt hit the buffer when I shoot my SPR/M4. No s--t but I own each and love my Surefire can as well...... Tough decision. Awesome pics, no toes or bacon is a plus
ChrisNCT
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisNCT »

Here are my next cans that I will be getting promptly:

AAC Element
AAC TiRant 9
AAC TiRant 45
undecided AAC .30cal can for a Remington 700 base.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

That Surefire can sure does look nice. How much did it cost you? I wouldnt mind having one but cost is an issue in comparison to materials used. Im sure she's built like a brick shithouse but AAC's cans are built like tanks. If SF cans were more affordable then I would have one of them in my arsenal.
ChrisNCT
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisNCT »

I paid 1299.00 for it. The can is what I wanted so I paid the price.

AAC's are nice and I will pay for them as well.
DemonLlama

Re:

Post by DemonLlama »

Kudu22 wrote:You can expect an average of these dB levels using M855 ammo from your weapon. These averages were off a 16" MRP

Micro 139 dB
Mini 137dB
FA556-212 135dB
Quick noob question. Exactly how much of a reduction is that? Or, what is the normal dB level for that same gun/ammo unsupressed to compare your numbers to?
Hoop
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hoop »

ChrisNCT wrote:Man this is sooo much fun! Surefire Can approved and picked up today!

Mailed Form 4 using Trust February 22nd, 2010
Approved April 14th, 2010
Recieved in mail and picked up April 26th, 2010

Examiners Rob Howard & Suzanne Santamaria

Surefire FA556AR was the can

If you posted your dealers FFL/SOT numbers, why not post your serial numbers and the transferee info?
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms."

www.hooperordnance.com
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Re:

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

DemonLlama wrote:

Micro 139 dB
Mini 137dB
FA556-212 135dB
Quick noob question. Exactly how much of a reduction is that? Or, what is the normal dB level for that same gun/ammo unsupressed to compare your numbers to?
Just for a ballpark.

I got 164 @ 1M and 156 at Ear on a MP15 16".
NFAtalk.org
hunter2
Silent But Deadly

Re: Surefire Supressors

Post by hunter2 »

Will probably never own one. They were a little snotty over the phone when my dealer tried to get one sent to Ky.. No dist.. Might of changed, but life is too short to waste time on people who think they are HTT! Others work just fine and are cheaper
ChrisNCT
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisNCT »

If you posted your dealers FFL/SOT numbers, why not post your serial numbers and the transferee info?

I careless about them. I will not however post my numbers. Just something I do or for that matter don't do.
SureFire FA556AR
AAC Element
Gemtech 9m Multi-Mount
Yankee Hill Machine 5.56 Stainless Steel Phantom
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

ChrisNCT wrote:If you posted your dealers FFL/SOT numbers, why not post your serial numbers and the transferee info?

I careless about them. I will not however post my numbers. Just something I do or for that matter don't do.
Yeah why damnit....WHY.....We need to know why you would do that...Cmon damnit....I NEED TO KNOW WHY!!!! :roll:
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

s--t, now I won't be able to sleep....CAUSE I DON"T KNOW WHY!!!!!
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

Can anyone tell me if a Surefire .308 suppressor will mount to a .223 mount?
Your Mom.
freestar

Re:

Post by freestar »

alanparsons wrote:I would rather cut my own dick off and use it for a can over AWC. Surefire is good but at that price get the AAC and you get safety from the welded core and awesome suppression...plus that PING! I can hear my bolt hit the buffer when I shoot my SPR/M4. No s--t but I own each and love my Surefire can as well...... Tough decision. Awesome pics, no toes or bacon is a plus
Are you calling the fact you can hear the bolt hitting the buffer of the M4 rifle the ping and thus a good (ping) sound or are saying the AAC suppressor has an annoying ping sound when used? Most people don't use the word ping to describe a desirable sound.
Kudu22
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kudu22 »

Yes Mister Wilson you can attach a FA762K can to a MB556k or FH556-212A adapter.
Garin Lee
[email protected]
Quick'n'Effect

Post by Quick'n'Effect »

Pretty impressed with how small they made the Surefire MINI. I'm planning on building an SBR so I'm in the market for a low profile suppressor as well. Did they sacrifice a lot in the way of sound reduction for making the can so short? I don't mind dropping a little extra coin if the sound reduction is still pretty good on this thing. Anyone know how it stacks up to the 212?
the_accuser
Silent But Deadly

Post by the_accuser »

Saw nearly each 223 model suppressor surefire makes today at a local shop and each was listed for $1460...nearly freakin' passed out... :? Guess thats why I don't much of anything from that shop.