Budget Cans

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

acsteele

Budget Cans

Post by acsteele »

I know there are quite a few of us, that want to get into the game, that just can't afford the best Handgun, the best rimfire, and the best centerfire rifle cans, but still want to get started with a decent quality can.

I got a YHM Cobra 2, in .45, and I am very pleased with it. Wet, it is surprisingly quiet.....maybe not Hollywood quiet, but it's certainly shocked a few friends, that didn't expect that great of performace. My dealer had it as his demo can, and I got a really great buy on it...(he's getting an Osprey as his new demo can)

For my rimfire can, I have a Sparrow already purchased....just waiting on the paperwork. For my centerfire rifle can, I'll be going with a YHM S.S. Phantom QD, for the versitility, and the several host guns it'll be on, it makes sense for me.

Have any of you fellas gone with less expensive cans, and been happy with your results? I think some guys are holding off, saving money to get the very best, and there is nothing wrong with that. I just felt it was better for me to get the best I could afford, and start having fun sooner, rather than later.
RavenArmament
Silent But Deadly

Re: Budget Cans

Post by RavenArmament »

One thing buyers don't realize is the up front cost on a quality silencer will pay dividends in the long run. Amortize the $600-800 over the 20-30 years you will have it. You may have the same longevity out of a cheaper (priced) silencer but will the manufacturer support the warranty if any?

Cry once, buy quality from the start, and in the future you will be glad you did.
Manufacturer of the best subsonic 9mm ammunition.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

There's nothing wrong with "good enough" if you know the score going in - you're not getting top of the line, and you're going to be stuck with it for the rest of your life (barring unusual circumstances).

Buying a silencer is like getting married. You're in it until one of you dies, unless you want a divorce. Getting divorced means taking it in the shorts financially. Therefore, pick wisely.
toolfan91
Senior Silent Operator

Post by toolfan91 »

When I first started reading up on this site, I was really thinking about buying a YHM Cobra 2 and a Mite to start things off... Given Im still in college, Im pretty restricted on what I can do financially(at least until I graduate next spring :D). After LOTS of reading, I decided Id rather buy a can Ill be thoroughly happy with, and just buy top quality cans, rather than lots of less expensive cans.

Needless to say, I bought my first silencer earlier this year, an Osprey 9. I primarily shoot my Glock 19, and absolutely love the gun, so I figured Id start with a top of the line suppressor for that specific host. Hopefully, Ill be able to buy a Liberty Kodiak TL by the end of the year, then an AAC 762SD once I graduate next spring. Sucks I cant buy them all right now, but I believe Ill be much happier in the long run.
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

it's all relative .. I bought a evo 45 can before the tirant came out .. now , nobody wants them ..it's all tirant and osprey.. then it was the top of the line...

now they use them at the silencershoot to demonstrate the "loud" can!

so today's budget can is probably just as good and quiet as a few year old top of the line can...

it's like buying a high def TV .. unless you look at them side by side, at home they all look great and you wouldn't know or care any different ...

if a can sounds good to you .. and that's all you can afford .. buy it .. you'll be happy you did..it's better than "NO can"
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Kainam
Silent Operator

Post by Kainam »

imyomama wrote: it's like buying a high def TV .. unless you look at them side by side, at home they all look great and you wouldn't know or care any different ...
I'm still watching a CRT tv, but I have my paperwork in for my 2nd and 3rd can.... :?
[quote="Kevin/AAC"]Yes, you could moly-coat after the fact. The SCARmor finish is black enough for me. The is dark gray, the way it should be. Black is mall ninja.[/quote]

http://www.pubpat.org/silversfinalrejection.htm
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

that's what you call priortizing the ears over the eyes!
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
MAJ MALFUNCTION
Elite Industry Professional

Post by MAJ MALFUNCTION »

Kainam wrote:
imyomama wrote: it's like buying a high def TV .. unless you look at them side by side, at home they all look great and you wouldn't know or care any different ...
I'm still watching a CRT tv, but I have my paperwork in for my 2nd and 3rd can.... :?
LOL :D
SILENCER WHOLESALER - selling to Class III dealers only
dragoon
Silent But Deadly

Post by dragoon »

For the hassles and waiting , buy something you feel comfortable with , from a reputable company - and dealer - like those that are on this site . Its like buying a car - its going to depreciate the minute you use it , so buy something that you won't mind being stuck with . You won't recover the $200 Fed stamp , or the transfer costs . An established manufacturer will also take care of you after the sale - like cleaning and providing potential future upgrades ... From Brownells -" It's unwise to pay too much ... but it's worse to pay too little . When you pay too much , you lose a little money ... that is all . When you pay too little , you sometimes lose everything , because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do . The common law of business prohibits paying a little and getting a lot . It can't be done . If you deal with the lowest bidder , it is well to add something for the risk you run .And if you do that , you will have enough to pay for something better . " - John Ruskin
jjgow
Silent But Deadly

Post by jjgow »

That is the worst analogy in the world. Some HDTVs are downright shitty and you'd be better off with a SDTV
chili17
Elite Member

Post by chili17 »

jjgow wrote:
That is the worst analogy in the world. Some HDTVs are downright shitty and you'd be better off with a SDTV
can't be that bad if you got it
Hipes Consulting Services LLC
FFL/SOT 07/02
North Texas
[email protected]
combat45acp
Senior Silent Operator

Post by combat45acp »

imyomama wrote:it's all relative .. I bought a evo 45 can before the tirant came out .. now , nobody wants them ..it's all tirant and osprey.. then it was the top of the line...

now they use them at the silencershoot to demonstrate the "loud" can!

so today's budget can is probably just as good and quiet as a few year old top of the line can...

it's like buying a high def TV .. unless you look at them side by side, at home they all look great and you wouldn't know or care any different ...

if a can sounds good to you .. and that's all you can afford .. buy it .. you'll be happy you did..it's better than "NO can"
Same here with my Evo...however my YHM Mite, gets stuck together ALL the time, I would gladly pay more for a easier take apart can like the Sparrow...
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

IMHO it depends on your purpose for possessing the suppressor. Is it to reduce the sound signature of a firearm to an acceptable level, or to have the neatest, coolest, lightest, everyone wants what I've got thingy?

I'm more than satisfied with my YHM7.62 can for the type of 7.62 and 5.56 shooting I do.

Thinking it's a look deep down for what your "needs" are type thing.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I made my own, and it only cost about $40 for the stainless after shipping. and I have enough left to make another. beats the hell out of a $500 rimfire can, and hopefully it works just as well
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
lunchbox

Post by lunchbox »

Bowen1911 wrote:I made my own, and it only cost about $40 for the stainless after shipping. and I have enough left to make another. beats the hell out of a $500 rimfire can, and hopefully it works just as well
Where did you purchase your materials online? I've been toying around with the idea of a form 1 suppressor.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

onlinemetals.com, and I had some promotional offer by email since i recently purchased some other stuff from them.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
brianbat420

Post by brianbat420 »

i bought a tac 16 because I wanted a "Budget" can and kick myself for not getting a higher end suppressor. The tac 16 does a decent job but the M2000 does a much better job in a lighter package.

If I were to do it over again I would spend the extra couple hundred and get something I am going to be very happy with then something I am going to be satisfied with.

words wisdom
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I also bought the TAC-16 as my first can and I wish I would have saved the money and just bought a 7.62 can. I would save the cash up and buy a quality can. I also bought the TAC-65 and love it, best part is it was only 200.00 bucks.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

I'm also on a budget, and I'm thinking about buying a take apart 9mm can to use on .22 and 9mm. I can only afford to buy one can, and since my daughter was just born I probably won't be able to purchase another one in the future. I've been looking at the new tirants, the mystic, and a few others. My other option is to buy a top of the line .22 can, but I want to suppress something more powerful that that. Any suggestions??? Has anyone here had any first hand experience shooting .22 through a newer 9mm can, if so how did it sound compared to a dedicated .22 can?
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I never shot .22 through a 9mm can, but I shot .22 through a .556 can and it was quieter than my .22 can. If you get a take apart can and shoot .22 through just make sure you put a thick coat of anti sieze in the baffles first.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
kwikrnu
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwikrnu »

[email protected] wrote:I'm also on a budget, and I'm thinking about buying a take apart 9mm can to use on .22 and 9mm. I can only afford to buy one can, and since my daughter was just born I probably won't be able to purchase another one in the future. I've been looking at the new tirants, the mystic, and a few others. My other option is to buy a top of the line .22 can, but I want to suppress something more powerful that that. Any suggestions??? Has anyone here had any first hand experience shooting .22 through a newer 9mm can, if so how did it sound compared to a dedicated .22 can?

I'd get the 9mm silencer over a dedicated .22lr silencer if you have to choose one.

Mystic on a .22lr ar.
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

I don't see anything wrong with a "Budget" can. As long as the company selling it can back up their product your good to go.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
panzertruppe
Silent Operator

Post by panzertruppe »

Budget wise buying ALWAYS good,

I'm looking at the YHM Phantom 556 or 762 as well. Could afford to wait and buy an AAC/Gemtech. Weight and length are not an issue and "almost as quiet" is good enuf for me(although the decibel range is not linear, especially for the lingering few decibels). But, maintenance is critical. I didn't see a takedown and clean function w/ the YHM Phantom. That leads me to believe it will degrade over time and need replacement. Or since there are no moving parts a good soaking in acetone as good as a cleaning gets.

panzertruppe
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

panzertruppe wrote:Budget wise buying ALWAYS good,

I'm looking at the YHM Phantom 556 or 762 as well. Could afford to wait and buy an AAC/Gemtech. Weight and length are not an issue and "almost as quiet" is good enuf for me(although the decibel range is not linear, especially for the lingering few decibels). But, maintenance is critical. I didn't see a takedown and clean function w/ the YHM Phantom. That leads me to believe it will degrade over time and need replacement. Or since there are no moving parts a good soaking in acetone as good as a cleaning gets.

panzertruppe
I use a YHM 7.62 SS QDPhantom on several different firearms. M1A, Remington .308 bolt action, and 4 different 5.56 rifles including a 10 1/2" SBR. With a couple thousand rounds through it, I am unable to detect significant, or for that matter any, errosion or reduction in performance. It's a little heavier than others my friends use, but it works well.

Couldn't be happier with my purchase.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

I'm still watching a CRT tv, but I have my paperwork in for my 2nd and 3rd can....
I drive a 4-banger. I tell my girlfriend that my 4-wheel-drive pick-up truck is parked in my gun-safe.