AAC Ranger2 wet vs. dry

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

u52
Silent Operator

AAC Ranger2 wet vs. dry

Post by u52 »

Hi all, I just got my AAC Ranger 2 and was wondering if I could quiet it down further by firing it wet. I have heard mixed reviews on this matter. My dealer even suggested a small amount of lithium grease.
Any suggestions would be appreciated!
glocker17
Silent But Deadly

Re: AAC Ranger2 wet vs. dry

Post by glocker17 »

Ummm. Nope dont do it. Shoot it the way it came out of the box....
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

Check your manual. My SPR/M4 has a section on firing it wet.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
u52
Silent Operator

Post by u52 »

The manual did not address wet firing. It does tell what to use to clean it, and how not to shoot anything you don't mean to....unfortunately the "stupid human warnings"
:lol:
alucard
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alucard »

I recall reading something about not shooting the high powered rifle suppressors with water in them. I believe it had something to do with them being too high pressure.

You can shoot .22 and pistol cans wet, but it is not wise to do so with a high powered rifle can.

I don't know what the breaking point is for high powered vs low powered, but your .223 ammo (and similar types) and above is considered high powered in this case. Your .45 pistol caliber and below is not considered high powered, and can usually be shot wet. But again check with the manufacture and the pressures of the ammo.
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

alucard
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alucard »

I haven't got the chance to watch the youtube video. But I did read through my cyclone and SPR/M4 Manuals.
I would have bet money that one of them said not to use water in your suppressor while firing. But now I stand corrected. I must have read that somewhere on this fourm.

The cyclone only mentions water while cleaning. It doesn't mention using water while firing. (2nd edition march 2008)
The SPR/M4 Manuals states:
Notes on Muzzle flash reduction
Operational circumstances may require the complete elimination of muzzle and ejection port flash. In this instance, the use of water to create an artificial environment is warranted. To wet the interior of the suppressor, detach it from the host weapon and submerge it in water. Rotate the suppressor around its vertical axis to drain excess water from the interior of the suppressor. If submersion in water is not possible, 5 cc's (1 cap full) may be poured into the rear of the detached suppressor. Shake the suppressor several times to help distribute water within the interior of the suppressor. If the host weapon is not discharged after water added, the water will remain inside the suppressor for up to 36 hours, depending on the ambient temperature.
**Warning: DO NOT use grease, oil or any liquid other than water as artificial environment media to reduce first-round flash.**
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

alucard,

very cool, thanks for sharing. The video is of Larry Vickers pouring water into a SureFire K can and attaching it to a MK18 and blasting away.

Just an FYI, Ive used water in a KAC NT4/AAC SCAR-H to play with first round flash elimination with out issue and fair results.
alucard
Senior Silent Operator

Post by alucard »

Just watched the video, and it shows him filling it up with water and doesn't show him draining it... (obviously he does drain it, because when it is on the rifle, there is not water gushing out. But I don't want a noobie to watch that and think it's OK to shoot the suppressor FULL of water)

I would definitely drain most, if not all the water before shooting it.

Also note that when shooting with water, it tends to foul up the inner baffles faster then if you were to shoot dry only.