SIA Integrally suppressed Enfield Mk IV converted to .45 acp

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

SIA Integrally suppressed Enfield Mk IV converted to .45 acp

Post by Ben B. »

Here is my modernized "DeLisle." This is not SIA's historically-accurate repro DeLisle, but an M-baffle stacked version with improvements in design. It uses standard, unmodified 1911 mags. It includes an ejector. It comes with iron sights. SIA added a quick-detach scope mount to mine, and I upgraded to a sporter stock. The scope mount seems to be reproducible to casual tests of removing and replacing. I selected a Nikon Omega muzzle loader scope, in 3-9x42. SIA used a fiber optic bead on the front, which I like. The rear has both a regular peep and a "ladder" sight for long range shots, which I have not yet played with. The end cap is removable and there are 6 ( I thinK) M Baffles that are removable. The blast baffle is not removable.

The suppression is adequate, about airgun sound, probably in the high 120s to 130s. When I got it, the locking piece that hooks in the magazine retention slot and retains the magazine in the gun stuck out a bit too far and hung up in my magazine followers (sometimes). I put an empty magazine tube in (per SIA) and filed a bit off (not per SIA), and it seems fine now. It does not seem to like feeding a fully loaded mag, as the first round off a fully loaded mag nose dives on the ramp. So I load 7 rounds in an 8 rd mag and it works, or 9 in a 10 rd mag

Accuracy is adequate as is, I still have to work up a load for it with Hornady 230 gr XTPs.

Oh, and this is by far my favorite silencer/NFA toy. This fucker is sweet.

These are from SIA, rested, 25 yards. The CorBon did well. They are 1" squares.

These are mine, using some bulk remfg 230 gr FMJ hardball from Miwall/Outdoor Marksman, and some of my lead reloads that I have on-hand: 200 gr LSWC and 230 gr LRN. These are shot offhand, one is standing and the other seated. I can't recall if I was resting elbows on bench while seated or just shooting offhand while seated, or some of both.

This is from standing. The top shot is from sighting in and not related.

While seated

These are 3-shot groups, which I normally don't do, but I am shooting lead here and I want to keep the lead count thru this gun low. These are the only groups I shot with this gun, aside from sighting in. These were fired from a rest with a rear bag. I would like to reproduce that 200 gr LSWC group because it is exemplary and I'd like to know if it is repeatable. The inner green circle of these USBR targets (the 8-ring) is exactly .5" in diameter.

Last edited by Ben B. on Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
no4mk1t
Silent But Deadly

Re: SIA Integrally suppressed Enfield Mk IV converted to .45

Post by no4mk1t »

Very nice!! Pretty wood too.
Some pics of the baffles would be appreciated whenever you open it for cleaning.
What did it set you back?
"My choice early in life was either to be a piano-player in a whorehouse or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference.
Harry S. Truman
BriggsRi
Silent But Deadly

Post by BriggsRi »

Very well done! The more I see these types of rifles the more I want :mrgreen:

Any chance of a video?

Thanks
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I noticed the bolt is not shortened like the original Delisle. How well does it extract/eject? The one I made does not eject well at all.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Extraction is perfect. I don't know what Richard does to them, he told me about but it was many months ago, and I'd never seen an Enfield so I couldn't grasp it all anyway.

You need to operate the bolt smartly for ejection, and it works pretty good. If you slowly work the bolt it generally does not kick them out, but always extract them. There is a spring loaded plunger that SIA makes to fxn as the ejector, and it is screwed in on the left side. I have not messed with it to see how he made it, and don't plan to.

When I bought mine it was about $1450, IIRC. I consider it the best NFA $$ I have spent.

The M-baffles are utterly boring to look at. The blast baffle looks interesting, but I think SIA spent a lot of time sorting it out to kill FRP, and prefers it not be splashed about the Internet, which I respect. It doesn't come out, anyway.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

Ahh, the spring loaded ejector. I was told to make one for my Enfield, but I am waiting for the day when I get get the law banning silencer use in WA changed so I can make a dedicated can for my Enfield. I will shorten the bolt, chop down and set back the barrel then.

It looks rather nice. :) Better work than my own hahhahaha.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
MoNkEy
Silent Operator

Post by MoNkEy »

I just sent out payment for mine and can't wait to get it. Damn ATF.

I am also having a boyds laminate stock put on it.

Yours looks awesome, any updates in the last few years?