Self Induced Problem Taken Care of by AAC

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

FB3
Silent But Deadly

Self Induced Problem Taken Care of by AAC

Post by FB3 »

I finally had the chance to shoot my new AAC Element .22 and Silencerco Sparrow .22 today. What a revelation. Used a Walther P-22, Buckmark, and CZ American rifle as hosts.

Ammo was Remington subsonic and CCI Standard Velocity .22 lr.

The AAC Element was much louder than the Sparrow on all hosts and with all ammo. My dealer and myself were really amazed at the difference in suppression between the two. Both cans were brand new and fired dry.

Needless to say, I am very unhappy with the Element. Silencerco and Liberty for me from now on. I just can't believe that this can is rated as one of the best .22 suppressors. I am really dreading firing my Ti-Rants now. I sure hope that they live up to the hype, or I am really going to be pissed.
Last edited by FB3 on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: AAC Element - Very Poor Performance

Post by JasonAAC »

FB3 wrote:I finally had the chance to shoot my new AAC Element .22 and Silencerco Sparrow .22 today. What a revelation. Used a Walther P-22, Buckmark, and CZ American rifle as hosts.

The AAC Element was much louder than the Sparrow on all hosts and with all ammo. My dealer and myself were really amazed at the difference in suppression between the two. Both cans were brand new and fired dry.

Needless to say, I am very unhappy with the Element. Silencerco and Liberty for me from now on. I just can't believe that this can is rated as one of the best .22 suppressors. I am really dreading firing my Ti-Rants now. I sure hope that they live up to the hype, or I am really going to be pissed.
There is certainly something wrong- the ELEMENT should be quieter or at least just as quiet as the other cans. Are the baffles in it? Kidding of course. It should sound great- email [email protected] or give him a call on Monday and give us all the details. I've shot MANY elements next to almost all of the cans, and the ELEMENTs have always sounded just as good or better on the same host.
Kick Ass Design
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Try CCI Std Vel ammo.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

FB3 wrote:I finally had the chance to shoot my new AAC Element .22 and Silencerco Sparrow .22 today. What a revelation. Used a Walther P-22, Buckmark, and CZ American rifle as hosts.

What kind of Sparrow?
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

Something isn't right. I have heard the others you mention and I have an element with well over 20,000 rounds through it and that thing is super quiet on all my host.
Ctaylor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ctaylor »

Call AAC, if the can isn't metering like it should they'll make things right.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

I find those results amazing. Something would seem to be amiss. Will say that while a Buckmark with Gemtech Outback II, and a 22 cal Sig 226 with an Element on it were difficult to tell the difference between, the Element is, IMHO, very quiet.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I can't imagine there being that much difference between the two cans simply because of port noise. After a slightly noticeable FRP that's about all I hear with my Element on both pistol and rifle. Definitely contact the folks at AAC as they recommended to find out what's up.

I'm not saying that the Sparrow shouldn't kick-ass too, just that both are high performance suppressors and there shouldn't be much human perceivable difference between them, let alone enough for there to be any disappointment.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

Kevin/AAC wrote:Try CCI Std Vel ammo.
He did. I agree though, must be an isolated issue with that particular can....
FB3 wrote:Ammo was Remington subsonic and CCI Standard Velocity .22 lr.
ducati
Senior Silent Operator

Post by ducati »

I gotta say my Element is awesome on my 22/45 and 10/22.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

My element next to the aluminum sparrow is quieter on the pistol and sounds about the same on a rifle. Either your trolling or something is wrong with your element.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

:? Almost makes you wonder if the baffle stack is in backwards. :P Is that even possible? Would that "amplify" the sound signature?

I know my Element is silly quiet. As I've often said, quieter on a semi-auto than a desktop stapler.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

I would open the suppressor and look at the baffles. I don't know if they can actually be put together backward, but if they could - that would be one possibility. That, or you could be missing some baffles.

you'll have to forgive people's disbelief.... especially considering the hosts you used.

wasn't the element pretty much tuned for the p-22? If there was a quieter can for the p-22, the sparrow would not be it.

somethin be wrong with your can :!:
https://pewscience.com
PEW Science
Professionally Engineered Weaponeering
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I was just amazed at the difference between the cans with the same hosts and ammo. So was my dealer. I think that there must be something wrong with this one but I don't know what could be wrong with a new suppressor.

I actually gave it to my dealer to sell off my Form 4 in a face to face deal. Will contact AAC and discuss the problem. This is very perplexing.

Edited to add: I appreciate the responses to my post. I normally do not post complaints like this until exhausting all avenues with the manufacturer, but being new to these things I just couldn't see how anything could be wrong with the can. I will contact my dealer and have him take it apart and also talk with AAC.
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Give a us a chance. You will be satisfied. The Element is certainly quieter than the Sparrow. There will be a simple explanation.

Sorry for the hassles.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Kevin,

I will definitey contact you guys today and see what we can do with this.

I really appreciate your support. Thank you.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

FB3 wrote: I will contact my dealer and have him take it apart and also talk with AAC.
Why not open it up yourself first? The Element is designed to be take apart and comes with a tool and pretty specific instructions on properly indexing the baffle stack. I bet you could save yourself some more headaches by doing this yourself.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

GoJohnnyGo wrote:
FB3 wrote: I will contact my dealer and have him take it apart and also talk with AAC.
Why not open it up yourself first? The Element is designed to be take apart and comes with a tool and pretty specific instructions on properly indexing the baffle stack. I bet you could save yourself some more headaches by doing this yourself.
This is true too. There are 2 ways i see it being louder- 1. there are no baffles in it, or 2. the stack is in backwards (or someone took it apart and put the end caps back on the wrong ends (in essence reversing the stack).

It'll get sorted out.
Kick Ass Design
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I think that I done broke the code here. I did take it apart out of curiosity when I got it. Being completely new to these things if there is a way to put the baffles in backwards, I probably managed to do it.

Will retrieve it from my dealer this week and try reversing the baffles.

I really feel stupid, but have no problem admitting my mistake.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

FB3 wrote:I think that I done broke the code here. I did take it apart out of curiosity when I got it. Being completely new to these things if there is a way to put the baffles in backwards, I probably managed to do it.

Will retrieve it from my dealer this week and try reversing the baffles.

I really feel stupid, but have no problem admitting my mistake.
No sweat, the manual that comes with it will show the correct assembly, just one thing for you to check. Let us know.
Kick Ass Design
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Clearly there is a problem. My element is one of my most impressive cans.

I'm interested to see what the problem is here.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

Honestly, I'd be curious to see how the Element meters with its baffles in backwards. It probably still beats a fair amount of other .22 cans (YHM Mite, Tactical Innovations line, etc.).
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
GRANDPA07
Silent But Deadly

Post by GRANDPA07 »

The one I played around with on a packlite not only metered well but sounded awesome. Very pleasing to the ear.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

700PSS wrote::? Almost makes you wonder if the baffle stack is in backwards. :P Is that even possible? Would that "amplify" the sound signature?

Little known fact....with the baffles in back'ard, the gun is louder than unsuppressed. :wink:
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

Still working this problem. I am having a terrible time getting the can apart. I did get the front cap off, and the baffles seemed to be installed correctly. Unfortunately, I cannot remove the rear end cap. I originally thought that I had used thread locker when I reassembled it, but I did not. The front cap still had some silver from the anti seize that I used. The rear cap unscrewed about one quarter turn and is frozen.

The can has about twelve rounds through it. It was definitely not as loud as unsuppressed, but was pretty loud.

AAC has been very helpful with this and I am going to send it to them to see what the problem may be.