Best suppressor for HK USP 45 Compact?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

stupidcracker00

Best suppressor for HK USP 45 Compact?

Post by stupidcracker00 »

Ok, for starters, I literally could not be any newer to this forum. This is my very first post and I want to hopefully receive enough information here to be comfortable enough to buy my first suppressor. I am a realistic person and realize that suppressors do not completely "silence" a .45 round. With that being said, which do you think is the best for sound suppression and for "shoot-ability"? If you know of one that is a phenomenal sound reducer, but lacks in mobility or vise versa, I'm all ears. I'm just trying to acquire as much information as possible so I can make my own final decision comfortably.

Well, with the research I have done I have found that AAC is typically the best .45 caliber suppressor manufacturers. Before this, I really liked the SWR H.E.M.S. 2. I realize the suppressor itself is way bigger than the gun, but from all the reviews, it doesn't seem to be an issue. It also reduces the sound quite well from what I hear. Could somebody shed some light on these two different suppressors/companies? Oh and BTW, I did look at the compact version of the H.E.M.S.CT. I just didn't like the less sound reduction than the regular H.E.M.S. 2. I'm ok with having a long suppressor, as long as it isn't so fat that I can't see through my sights... (then again I have no first hand experience with this :? ). Like I said before, the more information the better :D .

Thanks in advance,
SC

P.S. My intended uses for the suppressor would be plinking, varmint hunting, and possibly law enforcement situations.
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best suppressor for HK USP 45 Compact?

Post by FB3 »

Welcome to the forum. I am also fairly new to suppressors, but it is amazing what information is available here.

I have an AAC .45 Ti-Rant that I use on a SIG P220 and a Colt 1911. It does a great job on both guns. I highly recommend it and other AAC products.

I do not have any experience with the Silencerco Osprey .45 suppressor, but it gets good reviews also. I just don't like the boxy look of it.

I would also recommend that you get a good .22 can. They are really fun and quiet. I am sure once you become involved with this stuff you will end up with more than one.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

OP, the only 2 options now-a-days that make sense for 45 cans are the AAC Ti-RANT 45 and the Silencerco Osprey. They sound very similar and are both leaps and bounds better than any 45 options that came before.

Both also have conversion pistons available so you can get double or triple duty out of them and run them on your .40 or 9mm hosts too.

I am of course biased towards the Ti-RANT due to it's simplicity and performance. It was designed for and adopted by the Navy. And this year it has been updated to allow full disassembly by the end user for maintenance and cleaning.
Kick Ass Design
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I would think the TiRant short or the Thompson Machine QMF would look sweet on the smaller 45 frame, not that the compact is really that compact to begin with.

However- for pretty much every 45 silencer besides the Osprey and TiRant, you might want to shoot them wet to get the full potential. I heard a Gemtech Blackside the other day on an HK, and it sounded good when wet, but not that impressive when dry.

here is an osprey on a USP compact
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=338625
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
stupidcracker00

Post by stupidcracker00 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. You have narrowed my options down infinitely!

Ok, so now I'm down to the Osprey and the Tri-Rant 45. They are so close together when compared by performance I guess I'll just pick whichever one looks better. IMO that is the Osprey. The only other questions I have then are, what is more simple about the Tri-Rant than the Osprey and is it really that much more simple? And lastly, does cleaning a can make that much difference in the sound reduction?

Oh and btw, I looked into the short version of the Tri-Rant and it doesn't appeal to me. Ya its cool that its shorter and it might look a whole lot better, but from everything I've read the performance is sub-par compared to the full version. Let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks again,
~SC
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I don't think that you can beat the new take apart Ti-Rant. I would put that one on the top of your list. Also check with Major Malfunction. He has a huge inventory of cans in stock and can get one to your dealer on a Form 3 much quicker than a dealer can get one from AAC.
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

I like the offset for pistol use, but if you ever plan on putting it on a pistol caliber rifle, I think it just looks wrong.

So I am torn between which one I like more. Now that the TiRant is take-apart-able, it slightly has the osprey edged out in my mind.

Cleaning does make a difference. Titsworth tested it, and proved it.

The tirant is sightly simpler because you just screw it on and go. The osprey has to be timed multiple times if you have multiple hosts.

Also, yes the Short is sub par to the full length, but compact is cool at times. I guess thats why we all want unlimited funds- just buy one of each and call it good :lol:
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
thoppe
Senior Silent Operator

Post by thoppe »

Another really good thing about the Osprey is that the back part of the can is the registered part. This way if you have a baffle strike they can replace the front end and the baffle stack without you having to pay an additional transfer tax.
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

stupidcracker00 wrote:The only other questions I have then are, what is more simple about the Tri-Rant than the Osprey and is it really that much more simple?
For example, the osprey has more parts in it's mount and booster than the whole Ti-RANT has. The Ti-RANT also gives you the ability of adjusting any POI shift by rotating the body of the silencer on the piston. Etc. Just screw it on and go, any host.

stupidcracker00 wrote:And lastly, does cleaning a can make that much difference in the sound reduction?
Yes, it does, over time. And the need to clean is even greater if you shoot a lot or ever shoot wet. People like the ability to rotate baffles (like tires on a car) in order to even out/ spread out any wear.
stupidcracker00 wrote:Oh and btw, I looked into the short version of the Tri-Rant and it doesn't appeal to me. Ya its cool that its shorter and it might look a whole lot better, but from everything I've read the performance is sub-par compared to the full version. Let me hear your thoughts.
That's why we offer both sizes. The T45S was the first model developed. It was made for/adopted by the Navy. Net sound reduction was not at the top of the list of requirements for them, size and durability were. In the civilian market, most people want the quietest can possible, that's why we make the "full size" versions of the Ti-RANTs.
Kick Ass Design
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

Flip a coin and buy one.....because your going to buy the other one down the road anyway. :wink:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview