Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Re: Element Vs. Prodigy Vs. Kodiak

Post by mcinfantry »

tylermtech wrote:
sukhoi wrote:
Along those lines, am I pathetic because I like attractive women? I choose to purchase cars that are finished nicely? Because I have a house instead of a trailer? I don't think so. If it was the only suppressor that was quiet, or had some very unique features that I valued, I could live with the engraving. But they are not. If you like it, good for you. I don't, and I think there are better alternatives.

I dont know...ive known some pretty cute ladies that did not function the best...just sayin

And a .22 can is apples and oranges.. the innards are far more important that/ how your tube looks I might as well give you a fancy tube and fill it with washers and steel wool then if you want more looks. :| your nice finished car could have a cracked engine block.... where are we going with this...

But if you had the option, a pretty woman or a not so pretty one, both perfectly good women, or a rusty car that ran well, or a beautiful car that ran just as well if not better? Just like .22 cans, these options are out there if you look.

There is no reason to choose function over form. In today's suppressor world, you can have both!! (Its a little harder with women!!)
Eager beats pretty. EVERY SINGLE TIME
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Again it comes down to blowback. I PREY the SS Sparrow does not gunk up my 10/22 When I talked to SilencerCo they said the reason they did not add one more baffle was because all it did was cause bad blowback and did hardly anything for the dB reduction.

I am almost thinking I should just foot the bill and get a Kodiak. At the rate things are going I may get it before the SS Sparrow anyway.

If I can find one in NH I will get it. I NEED to have a silencer for a .22 that does not blow back crap into my guns. .22s are very finicky as is .. add any more crap and you get a dead rifle.

My Prodigy is good on my bolt but renders my 10/22 worthless in very short time. Then I have to take the mags apart of hose them out with brake clean or Starting fluid. (less $ and smells good.. Got a smoke?) LOL

A royal PITA.

The clamshell design is a bonus.. Dave could add a similar clam shell to the Kodiak core to simplify disassembly then you have the best of everything. It was the ONLY reason I got the Sparrow over the Kodiak. (since it was my plan to use it on my M16 22 conversion)

Anyone have a New SS Sparrow and a Kodiak to compare blow back?

To me this is the $10,000 question. Really the .22 cans to consider are the Kodiak and SS Sparrow.. If the Sparrow has lots of blowback the benifit of the clamshell will not be worth it.

So time will tell.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
997turbo

Post by 997turbo »

JohnInNH wrote:Again it comes down to blowback. I PREY the SS Sparrow does not gunk up my 10/22 When I talked to SilencerCo they said the reason they did not add one more baffle was because all it did was cause bad blowback and did hardly anything for the dB reduction.

Anyone have a New SS Sparrow and a Kodiak to compare blow back?

To me this is the $10,000 question. Really the .22 cans to consider are the Kodiak and SS Sparrow.. If the Sparrow has lots of blowback the benifit of the clamshell will not be worth it.

So time will tell.

I agree with John. Blowback is the one big factor that separates these two cans. Looking for an answer as well.
Shamrock-MP
Silent But Deadly

Post by Shamrock-MP »

I am waiting on the SS Sparrow but am considering changing my order to Kodiak.

The main host will be Ruger 22/45. If the host was mainly a rifle, I would have definitely gone with the Kodiak. The only reason I chose the Sparrow over K was the size and weight.

Will the possible blowback issues overshadow the size/weight advantage?
Form4
Suppressors and Firearms
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(502)671-9799
www.form4.org
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Until I can compare the SS Sparrow to my Gen III Prodigy I am in the dark on the Sparrow's blowback.

Shamrock... The Kodiak is the heaviest of the Kodiak family. Pick the one that best fits you needs a TL will be lighter and be multi cal but not 22 hornet rated. The Essence is wicked light and very quiet at the expense of multi cal usage.

If you will ONLY use it on the 22/45 the Essence will be the lightest of the 3 in the Kodiak family. If you want to shoot 22 mag and 17 HMR get the "TL" if you want to shoot a 22 hornet the all Stainless Steel Kodiak. Close buggy race..

The difference between the Sparrow and the Kodiak TL:

The Sparrow is easier to clean, it is smaller.. Cons FRP and still unknown blowback
Kodiak TL little to no FRP, little to no blowback. Cons slightly harder to clean, and size. DB advantage goes to the Essence.

I would have to play with them for a while to pick one over the other.

The new Sparrow fills the role of multi caliber, easy to clean.. Unknown at this time is the blowback.. The Cons of the Sparrow are FRP, + weight, however both are really not that bad.

I will TRY to see if I can use my SS Sparrow at my SOT's for some extensive testing. I will be able to compare it to my Prodigy III. If the blow back is less then the new core I will not get the Essence ... If the Sparrow has about the same blowback or more I will order an Essence.

The SS Sparrow may have less... Both the SS Sparrow and the Prodigy have fairly high FRP, the Essence does not. It also has the low blowback being a Kodiak design.

I really feel a SS Sparrow and an Essence are all you will ever need in a .22 silencer. They each cover the others weaker points. Keep in mind all 4 of the silencers I have as "pairs" are the top of the line best .22 silencers so the cons are minimal

I would not discount the Sparrow over a Kodiak just yet. The Sparrow is compact and no other silencer is really that easy to take apart..

The 2 pairs of .22 silencers that cover all requirements note Liberty has one in each pairing:

SS Sparrow and an Essence
A Kodiak (or Kodiak TL) + an AAC Element.

From another thread an FYI:

Weights
Prodigy -- SS Sparrow -- Element --- Essence -- Kodiak TL -- Kodiak --- SWR Spector
3.6 Oz ------ 6.5 oz--------- 4.3 oz ----- 4.2 oz ------- 6.1 oz ------ 9 oz ------- 8.5 oz

Lengths
5.79" -------- 5.08"---------- 5.25"-------- 6.5" --------- 6.5" -------- 6.5" -------- 6"

dB reduction
- 40 dB ------ 41dB --------- 41 dB ------- 41 dB------- 40 dB-------39 dB ------ 40.5 dB

FRP in Old Sparrow vs New SS Sparrow

------------- old---------new
P-22----- 124.3 ------122.3
Paclite--- 127.1------ 123.1
10/11 ----114.7 ------ 113.3 (virtually no FRP on 10/22)
AVG ------ 122.03 ---- 119.57 =2.463 dB less FRP average

dB 10 shot average for old vs new Sparrow

-------------- old ------- new
P-22 ------ 119 -------- 116.8
Paclite ----121.4 -----115.45
10/22 ----- 114.8 ------114.25 (no FRP on 10/22 3rd shot was louder than 1st shot)
AVG --------118.4 ------ 115.5 = 2.9 dB less

Summery.. FRP is less on all hosts with new SS Sparrow
10 shot average is less on all hosts with new SS Sparrow
Last edited by JohnInNH on Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

John the SS sparrow is rated for .22 hornet as well, so Its multi cal rating is closer to the Kodiak then the Kodiak TL.
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

So a SS Kodiak may be the way to go for a dedicated rifle suppressor eh?
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

yamatitan wrote:John the SS sparrow is rated for .22 hornet as well, so Its multi cal rating is closer to the Kodiak then the Kodiak TL.

Cun N paste from SilencerCo.

Additional Calibers
.17 hmr
.22 mag
.22 wmr
5.7×28 FN

Maybe the Hornet is OK but not on their site. 13-14 gr of powder..

Since the 22 Mag and the 22 WMR are the same.. maybe one was supposed to be the .22 hornet?

The 5.7 uses 3.5gr -7 gr a far cry from 14 gr at 2x the powder of the 5.7 x 28

From the horse's mouth..

"The 22Sparrow is a multi caliber suppressor and is rated for: .22 S,L,LR , .22 Magnum, .17 HMR, .17 Mach 2, 5.7x28FN, .22 Hornet."

yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Here you go a short thread on the topic and the silencerco vid:
viewtopic.php?f=127&t=69542