Best 22lr suppressor

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

AUDIOMAN

Best 22lr suppressor

Post by AUDIOMAN »

I know everybody has there opinions lets put price aside I want of coarse the quietest the best materials the best longevity ease of cleaning least effect on POI and of coarse we cannot forget one very important thing good customer service and warrantee from who'm the suppressor was made
this suppressor would be used mostly on pistols but if I where to buy 3 1 for pistols 1 for semi auto rifle's and 1 for 22lr smg's shooting 800 to 1200 rpm and having a 100 to 1000 round mag and or belt what 1 or 3 suppressors remember price is no issue but weight is the lighter the better for me anyway
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best 22lr suppressor

Post by bigbigpig »

That list of wants is what everyone wants. There is no one suppressor that satisfies that entire list. Take for example quietest and ease of cleaning. Generally speaking K and Omega baffles are quieter than mono cores but are more difficult to clean. You can probably get a large volume custom silencer that will be super quiet but it'll be heavier and more likely to widen the POI.

But to try to be helpful there are many good .22 options available right now. I think it's pretty well accepted that in .22 silencers length is more effective than diameter; assuming other variables like volume and baffle design are the same. Liberty's are around 6.5" and perform well and are mono core so they're relatively easy to clean. AAC Element is pretty lighter weight and shorter. SWR Spectre is all SS so it'll withstand more rigorous cleaning methods. These are just 3 examples but there are many good options. I just don't see anything that is hands-down best for everything you listed.
garandman
Silent But Deadly

Post by garandman »

There is no suppressor on the market that does all that. Suppressors are tools. If you want to drive nails, get a hammer. But a hammer wont do ya much good for cutting boards.

You need to narrow down your list of wants, and better define (in your own mind) what gun / purpose you have for the suppressor.

I imagine that doesn't seem helpful, but its what's necessary to be able to to help you.
Late to the NFA party, but makin' up for lost time....
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

You mention planning on purchasing 3 suppressors. If that is the case, identify your three most important uses and then we can identify the best can for that purpose.

In general, btw, you will be looking at the AAC Element, SWR Spectre, SilencerCo Sparrow, and Liberty Kodiak (listed in no particular order). These are all awesome performers and have a variety of pros and cons depending on platform.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Post by JasonAAC »

Selectedmarksman wrote:...AAC Element, SWR Spectre, Liberty Kodiak...
If I were buying 3 .22 cans right now, these are the three I'd try.

Like everyone said, you have to balance the requirements.
Kick Ass Design
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Post by delta9mda »

element and Spectre, both are steel/ steel alloy.
NP
peytont
Senior Silent Operator

Post by peytont »

don't buy an element if you plan on dipping your can.

buy whichever is in stock and cheapest of:

liberty TL, kodiak, essence
SS sparrow
SWR Spectre

The new surfire can looks good but no one has seen data on it yet, it looks complicated, to much so in my opinion. The new Gemtech .22 cans are solid performers I would buy one of their new stainless take-aparts if I got a great deal on it.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

peytont wrote:don't buy an element if you plan on dipping your can.

buy whichever is in stock and cheapest of:

liberty TL, kodiak, essence
SS sparrow
SWR Spectre

The new surfire can looks good but no one has seen data on it yet, it looks complicated, to much so in my opinion. The new Gemtech .22 cans are solid performers I would buy one of their new stainless take-aparts if I got a great deal on it.
FWIW, the Element's baffles can be dipped. It's the tube and end caps you can't dip. Those aren't that hard to clean anyway. The Element is 'supposedly' not a top performer on pistols but I'll be damned if it isn't impressively quiet on my MK III. It's giggle-quiet on my 10/22.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Brittsc
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Brittsc »

Anybody know anything about the Dusk can from Wheaton arms

britt
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

The 22Sparrow is going to give you the best all around performance (rifle to pistol) and nothing touches it on the ease of disassembly and cleaning -- it's all steel. You can easily shoot it to 1000 rounds and then disassemble by hand. Weight-wise it fits in between the super light aluminum cans and the heavier steel ones. It also has a demonstrated lack of POI shift and won't tumble bullets. I am a little biased I admit because I was involved with its design. This also gave me the chance to hear it next to the leading competitors as well. My next favorite is the SWR Spectre with the only criticism being it's a couple of ounce heavier and inch longer.
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

Mageever wrote:The 22Sparrow is going to give you the best all around performance (rifle to pistol) and nothing touches it on the ease of disassembly and cleaning -- it's all steel. You can easily shoot it to 1000 rounds and then disassemble by hand. Weight-wise it fits in between the super light aluminum cans and the heavier steel ones. It also has a demonstrated lack of POI shift and won't tumble bullets. I am a little biased I admit because I was involved with its design. This also gave me the chance to hear it next to the leading competitors as well. My next favorite is the SWR Spectre with the only criticism being it's a couple of ounce heavier and inch longer.
Standing ovations for your involvement with an outstanding design. A+ on your final exam. :)

Best.
[email protected]
Silent But Deadly

Post by [email protected] »

Mageever wrote:The 22Sparrow is going to give you the best all around performance (rifle to pistol) and nothing touches it on the ease of disassembly and cleaning -- it's all steel. You can easily shoot it to 1000 rounds and then disassemble by hand. Weight-wise it fits in between the super light aluminum cans and the heavier steel ones. It also has a demonstrated lack of POI shift and won't tumble bullets. I am a little biased I admit because I was involved with its design. This also gave me the chance to hear it next to the leading competitors as well. My next favorite is the SWR Spectre with the only criticism being it's a couple of ounce heavier and inch longer.
How would you compare the 22Sparrow to the Kodiak TL, based on everything you previously stated. Also which one sounds better?
lafsnguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by lafsnguy »

I recently got to play with my kodiak tl at my dealers. There's a video on YouTube where we are shooting the kodiak tl, my swr Spectre, and his ss sparrow one after another. It's hard to tell on the video but the sparrow had a very noticeable frp on a pistol. On my cz 452 there was almost no frp with the sparrow. However the kodiak tl was slightly quieter than the sparrow on both the rifle and pistol. The sparrow though is incredibly easy to take apart and you really have to listen to tell which is quieter. It's all a matter of what you want.
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

Historian wrote: Standing ovations for your involvement with an outstanding design. A+ on your final exam.

Best.
Thanks for the kind words Historian. I appreciate it.
[email protected] wrote: How would you compare the 22Sparrow to the Kodiak TL, based on everything you previously stated. Also which one sounds better?
As for the Kodiak, I'm guessing it would be like lafsnguy says. You would have to shoot them back to back to tell a difference I'm sure. It's relatively big and has enough internal volume that it should perform pretty well. The main reason I wouldn't recommend it is that it's just a core with a tube. As it fills up with lead and junk it's not going to be fun to take apart and clean. It's strong and you can wrench on it I'm sure, I'd rather be able to unscrew a cap that has O-ring sealed threads (no gritty crunching on threads and escaping gases when shooting). I have a Form-1 can that is similar in design to the Kodiak (core in tube) and I just don't shoot it much because I don't want to clean it--but I'm lazy about stuff like that.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Mageever wrote:... with the only criticism being it's a couple of ounce heavier and inch longer.
Clearly you are not a woman.
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

If it helps I have well over 10,000 rounds through my TL..It always cleans very easily..The steel versions can be bit harder to take apart but harder when you compare it to sliding titanium off a steel core. The cores aren't cut straight. Dave had mentioned on Silencer research a hint out how he does it but it is proprietary. Of course if you own one you may figure it out after awhile.. :mrgreen:

If I really get carried away I'll use the pusher tool to help but for the most part just push it out by hand. I've never shot it to the point I needed Kroil yet. They love the stuff but I think that carries over from all the retrofits they do. Just pour the stuff in before anything else is even tried.

Its the lack of blowback that sells me on the design and why I carry on about it..The fact that its the quietest is a bonus but is not as nearly as important as many of my host weapons have never even been cleaned yet. Only thing I clean anymore is the CCMG bolt on my 16..Really curious how many rounds it would take to shut that down but when I'm taking it out for someone new I want to be sure its not gonna shut down on someone looking forward to spending some time on it. Most I've gotten to now is 750..
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
winsor
Silent But Deadly

Post by winsor »

I'll wait for the SureFire 22.
░░ in search ☼f the silence ░░ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ n☼ hunting , n☼ killing , just plinking ☼ ☼☼
Chondro
Silent But Deadly

Post by Chondro »

Has anyone gotten their hands on the Surefire yet? From an engineering standpoint the baffles are really interesting but I don't think anyone thought about the lead or what then end user is going to think about taking those apart to clean..Also with the internal space so small I wonder how many rounds it will take before the gases are no longer redirected as designed. But neat to play with a clean one though.. :D
Last edited by Chondro on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you see a telephone book and your first thought is a Silencer..Your addicted

Member of the Liberty Suppressor's Underground "LSU"
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

They haven't started making them nor have released any sound data.
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

Schulze wrote:They haven't started making them nor have released any sound data.
They have started making them, havnt started shipping is a better way to put it.
winsor
Silent But Deadly

Post by winsor »

Chondro wrote:Has anyone gotten their hands on the Surefire yet? From an engineering standpoint the baffles are really interesting but I don't think anyone thought about the lead or what then end user is going to think about taking those apart to clean..Also with the internal space so small I wonder how many rounds it will take before the gases are no longer redirected as designed. But neat to play with a clean one though.. :D
From what I've seen. It is easy to take apart. And if it is what I think, we may surprise how clean the baffles are.
So I'll wait to see the testing first.
░░ in search ☼f the silence ░░ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ ִ n☼ hunting , n☼ killing , just plinking ☼ ☼☼
Kevin/AAC
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Kevin/AAC »

Element and Prodigy are the quietest.
"Fully welded core!"
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

yamatitan wrote:
Schulze wrote:They haven't started making them nor have released any sound data.
They have started making them, havnt started shipping is a better way to put it.
I posted that right after their rep said on arfcom, "We are getting a new CNC machine up and running and will be cutting chips next week".
winsor
Silent But Deadly

Post by winsor »

Kevin/AAC wrote:Element and Prodigy are the quietest.
How about in the same standard length of 5"long can?
BTW, AAC will launch an awesome new design in the near future, I bet.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!