KRISS with a Gemtech UMP4045 suppressor

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

aznodak

KRISS with a Gemtech UMP4045 suppressor

Post by aznodak »

Does anyone have experience with the Gemtech UMP4045 suppressor in .45ACP? I have a KRISS SBR (I think the 1st one shipped to a civilian) and was considering the AAC Ti-Rant .45. I spoke to the gemtech people at the December 2010 Crossroads SAR show in Phoenix and they asked why I wanted to put a pistol suppressor on an SMG, they suggested their UMP4045 (the KRISS barrel is fixed). I'm looking for maximum suppression so the 9+ length of the UMP4045 isn't an issue. If the Ti-Rant .45 and the UMP4045 performance are close enough that human ear can't detect a difference, I'll go with the Ti-Rant.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: KRISS with a Gemtech UMP4045 suppressor

Post by Bendersquint »

aznodak wrote:Does anyone have experience with the Gemtech UMP4045 suppressor in .45ACP? I have a KRISS SBR (I think the 1st one shipped to a civilian) and was considering the AAC Ti-Rant .45. I spoke to the gemtech people at the December 2010 Crossroads SAR show in Phoenix and they asked why I wanted to put a pistol suppressor on an SMG, they suggested their UMP4045 (the KRISS barrel is fixed). I'm looking for maximum suppression so the 9+ length of the UMP4045 isn't an issue. If the Ti-Rant .45 and the UMP4045 performance are close enough that human ear can't detect a difference, I'll go with the Ti-Rant.
That is funny that the GemTax, er Tech rep said "why put a pistol suppressor on an SMG". Its not full auto, heck they push the Multimount as an SMG can as well as a pistol can.

Regardless, you will be happier with the TiRant. It will be nice and quiet. Little quieter than the Gemtech UMP can if my ear remembers correctly.

-B
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Isn't there something peculiar about the KRISS and the bolt? I seem to recall someone commenting about cycling.... something about the last round.... noise when suppressed.... or something.

I can't recall what was said.
-----
Ick
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

it won't reliably extract a live round
Don't be an internet tough guy...
lessdbzplz

Post by lessdbzplz »

GlocksInMySocks wrote:it won't reliably extract a live round
That seems to be an issue regardless of suppression, right?
knesekguns.com

(479) 474-1680
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

fact
aznodak

Post by aznodak »

My KRISS has worked flawlessly, and I can't force it to fail to extract a live round.
While mildly intresting, none of that has a anything to do with experience with a Gemtech UMP4045.
I did appreciate the recommendations for the Ti-rant, that's the answer I was hoping for anyway.
But suppression capability is still most important, if there is no human detectable difference between a UMP4045 and the Ti-rant .45, I am going for the Ti-rant.
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

aznodak wrote:My KRISS has worked flawlessly, and I can't force it to fail to extract a live round.
ha, well, I guess they must have made one with out a poorly designed extractor then
Historian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Historian »

GlocksInMySocks wrote:
aznodak wrote:My KRISS has worked flawlessly, and I can't force it to fail to extract a live round.
ha, well, I guess they must have made one with out a poorly designed extractor then
GlocksInMySocks [ I still smile at your great code-name. ], I had considered
purchasing one but similar reports from other shooters caused me to
CROSS KRISS off my list for now and savor my
'antique' 1911 A1. :)
flight954
Senior Silent Operator

Post by flight954 »

I think the 1st one shipped to a civilian
Keep thinkin cause I seriously doubt that
aznodak

Post by aznodak »

KRISS TDI was not taking orders for a threaded SBR until at least 6 months after I received mine (it was not an option for purchase when they began taking civilian orders). It was originally shipped without a threaded barrel and except for the fact TDI's own original order paperwork specifically stated that the purchase included a threaded barrel, they said were not going to honor the deal. But they eventually caved given I had a string of emails with some of their executives where they referenced the threaded barrel. I don't have my KRISS in front of me but I think my serial number is 109 (part of the 1st special production run). If there is a KRISS that came with a threaded barrel with a serial number lower than mine, I'll be bummed. Dudes, don't pop my bubble.
torrey

Post by torrey »

aznodak wrote:KRISS TDI was not taking orders for a threaded SBR until at least 6 months after I received mine (it was not an option for purchase when they began taking civilian orders). It was originally shipped without a threaded barrel and except for the fact TDI's own original order paperwork specifically stated that the purchase included a threaded barrel, they said were not going to honor the deal. But they eventually caved given I had a string of emails with some of their executives where they referenced the threaded barrel. I don't have my KRISS in front of me but I think my serial number is 109 (part of the 1st special production run). If there is a KRISS that came with a threaded barrel with a serial number lower than mine, I'll be bummed. Dudes, don't pop my bubble.

I thought I was the first :D The special production run started at 101. I have 112 and its a factory threaded SBR. I have not experienced many issues with mine.