Suggestions for 5.56 AR

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

HK_P7

Suggestions for 5.56 AR

Post by HK_P7 »

I am new, green and trying to research.

I am looking for a quality and quiet Suppressor to fit a 5.56 AR and a 220 Swift bolt or .22-250 bolt gun. I have looked at the AAC 2000, SPR and a few GemTechs.

I don't see the need for a QD taking a few seconds to thread it on is fine. The QD appears to cost more, weigh more and not do anything more.

Thanks in advance
JasonAAC
Industry Professional

Re: Suggestions for 5.56 AR

Post by JasonAAC »

HK_P7 wrote:I am new, green and trying to research.

I am looking for a quality and quiet Suppressor to fit a 5.56 AR and a 220 Swift bolt or .22-250 bolt gun. I have looked at the AAC 2000, SPR and a few GemTechs.

I don't see the need for a QD taking a few seconds to thread it on is fine. The QD appears to cost more, weigh more and not do anything more.

Thanks in advance
Have you shot a suppressed 5.56?

I ask because once you do that, you'll realize that "quiet" is a relative term with 5.56. That is one heck of a loud bullet- the flight noise alone is close to 140dB. Just want you to be prepared.

If you are looking for a fun trip, check out the Silencer Shoot- you'll be able to see hear and in most cases shoot cans from all the leading manufacturers and dealers in one place. http://www.silencershoot.com

The M4-2000 is an excellent balance of size weight durability and sound performance.

Especially if you'll be switching back and forth between guns, the QD is a nice feature. When it's not mounted on a particular gun, that gun will still have either a flash hider or muzzle brake to improve it's shooting and protect it's muzzle/threads.

If you want quiet, you need to go subsonic and 308 or 300 BLK
Kick Ass Design
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Get a QD solution.I have a buddy that threads on his suppressor and the thing is constantly working loose whilst we shoot. It is only a matter of time until he forgets to tighten it after ever magazine..... and he ends up with a strike of some kind.
-----
Ick
Illuminated_one
Silent But Deadly

Post by Illuminated_one »

ick wrote:Get a QD solution.I have a buddy that threads on his suppressor and the thing is constantly working loose whilst we shoot. It is only a matter of time until he forgets to tighten it after ever magazine..... and he ends up with a strike of some kind.
+1
Ever try to re-tighten a 400+ degree can on the end of an AR barrel? It can be tricky. :wink:

The QD give you a peace of mind where you're not worrying about baffle strikes or sending your expensive toy downrange with the next shot. Very much worth it on a semi auto. I can't speak for bolt guns though.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. "

Mark Twain
HK_P7

Post by HK_P7 »

I have not shot anything Suppressed, I have not heard anything suppressed either.

My 5.56 ammo shows 2750fps, my other ammo is reloaded so I don't know the specs.

My 220 Swift ammo shows 4,200fps and 4,050fps.

Is it a lost cause to Suppress the 220 Swift?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I say find a local dealer that sells suppressors. When I went to see the guy in my area he took some time and showed me differnt rifles and how they sound. Very informative and very helpful for determinig what to buy.
-----
Ick
just some dude

Post by just some dude »

i went with the AAC spr/m4, LOVE it.......would buy another without a second thought.
HK_P7

Post by HK_P7 »

I already went to my local dealer and he was all for the thread on GemTech.

How did he show you how they sound?
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

HK_P7 wrote:I already went to my local dealer and he was all for the thread on GemTech.

How did he show you how they sound?
Most of your larger dealers will have demo cans on hand that can be fired for/by the customer so they know exactly what they are getting. Some small shops may not have them, but it is definitely an incentive to find larger dealer who has demo cans, so you know what you are getting into good or bad. Not all cans are built equally.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

My guy is a small dealer, however, he has a collection. I think we fired two or three pistol cans and a few 22lr rifles.
-----
Ick
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

Ick, same for me. My first dealer was a small shop as well, but he was an enthusiast who had his own cans. He had no problem letting me hear them at a local range. I would think that any dealer who really wanted to make a sell would be willing to make similar arrangements.
black-sheep
Silent But Deadly

Post by black-sheep »

Ick, same for me. My first dealer was a small shop as well, but he was an enthusiast who had his own cans. He had no problem letting me hear them at a local range. I would think that any dealer who really wanted to make a sell would be willing to make similar arrangements.
I wish I could find a good dealer in Vegas so far only bad experiences.No dealers have demo cans here so consider yourself lucky.Every can I have bought sight unseen(unheard).
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

HK_P7 wrote:Is it a lost cause to Suppress the 220 Swift?
No, not really; it just won't be like what you 'hear' in the movies. There will be a definite reduction though.

If you varmint hunt with a suppressor (where legal) you will appreciate the benefits of having the can.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons