Best 22LR can for these hosts?

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

bamachem
Silent Operator

Best 22LR can for these hosts?

Post by bamachem »

I have a few 22LRs and don't plan to have a 223/AR and I don't have $10k sitting around so a Norrell FA isn't in my future either. With that said, what would be a great can to have for:

10/22 with TacSol SB-X barrel (1" dia cans only due to shroud)
Buck Mark 4" TacSol bbl
S&W 2213 with Thread Adapter

Eventually adding my son's Crickett and maybe even a Marlin 70 to the list of hosts.

I'm looking for something that will provide good overall dB reduction for moderate use. I don't plan to shoot 1000-rds between cleanings and I rarely shoot over 50-rds at a time, although having a suppressor may change that. I don't mind using a tumbler to clean the baffles or monocore, so SS internals are not necessarily required either.

I was looking at the SS Sparrow until all the posts about FRP. I don't mind using a nasal spray bottle, but not sure that I want to have to depend on it for quiet use, either. Also looking at the TM Zephyr, and possibly any others that may be suggested.

What say you? How about your reviews for any of these hosts???
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Best 22LR can for these hosts?

Post by doubloon »

Have you looked at the data/tests/reviews on http://nfatalk.org, http://www.silencerresearch.com/ and the Major's silencer forum http://www.silencerforum.com ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Mageever
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mageever »

There are a lot of awesome cans out there. I'd recommend the SWR Spectre for what you're using. The Element is cool too, but the end cap can unscrew down in the shroud of the SB-X barrel when you go to remove the can from the weapon. You ought to ask TacSol if a 1.063" dia. can will fit (I'm not really sure). If so, the SS 22Sparrow is your best all around choice when it comes to performance and nothing touches it on disassembly and cleaning. These are all high-end cans, but you really get a lot for your money.
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Yeah, I've seen them. We all know tone also influences overall perception of how loud a can is too. Just looking for a nudge either way, or in a completely different direction. Since I'm looking at both rifle and pistol hosts with barrel lengths from 4" to 18", I'm looking at real-world experiences for what my best suit these hosts.
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Mageever wrote:There are a lot of awesome cans out there. I'd recommend the SWR Spectre for what you're using. The Element is cool too, but the end cap can unscrew down in the shroud of the SB-X barrel when you go to remove the can from the weapon. You ought to ask TacSol if a 1.063" dia. can will fit (I'm not really sure). If so, the SS 22Sparrow is your best all around choice when it comes to performance and nothing touches it on disassembly and cleaning. These are all high-end cans, but you really get a lot for your money.
Thanks. Everyone who has a Spectre that I've run across seem to LOVE them. Only downside I can find on them is that they're a little on the heavy side. The S&W 2213 is a TINY little thing, so a lot of weight hanging out there will definitley throw off the balance. I'm not too worried about it on the Buck Mark as I have the URX grips and it's easy enough to hang on to.

I'm almost positive that the ID on the shroud is 1.09" - I read it somewhere.

I leaning hard towards the SS Sparrow. Only hangup is the fact that I cannot find one in stock in the entire state of Alabama. I would like to at least put my hands on one before buying. Maybe I just need to go window shopping at a dealer in another state, then order one from a local.
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

bamachem,

Give Malcolm a call:

Silent Industries
FFL/SOT
Madison, AL
256-783-5309
"Not the biggest- Just the best!"
Proud AAC SWR Silencerco Stocking Dealer
http://www.silentindustries.net/

-Bone
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

bamachem,

Too bad that my almost new ss Sparrow is on a Form 4 in FL. I would give you great deal on it.
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Checked with Malcolm and he has some good pricing on some in-stock Sparrows as well as some almost-in-stock Spectres. Too bad he's 6hrs away. I might just have to make a roadtrip.

What's involved with a can owned by an individual? Form 3 to a dealer, another Form 3 to a dealer in my state, followed by a Form 4? One $200 stamp or two?
Last edited by bamachem on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Nevermind... Searched and found the answer. A transfer from an individual in FL to an individual in AL requires two Form 4s with two stamps plus whatever the SOT charges for his fee. Ouch.
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

bamachem wrote:I was looking at the SS Sparrow until all the posts about FRP. I don't mind using a nasal spray bottle, but not sure that I want to have to depend on it for quiet use, either.
Keep in mind that the FRP in the new SS Sparrow is about as quiet as the second and subsequent shots in the old longer Sparrow. The new Sparrow is just that much quieter after the first round.
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

bamachem wrote:Checked with Malcolm and he has some good pricing on some in-stock Sparrows as well as some almost-in-stock Spectres. Too bad he's 6hrs away. I might just have to make a roadtrip.

What's involved with a can owned by an individual? Form 3 to a dealer, another Form 3 to a dealer in my state, followed by a Form 4? One $200 stamp or two?
6 hours of gas is still cheaper than an additional $200 stamp, unless you're driving a Maybach or a Veyron 8)
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I have two Thompson machine ZephyrXL's, a Ruger 22/45 with factory threaded barrel, and a Ruger SR-22 (gussied up 10-22) I am extremely happy with the Zephyrs. Quiet, lightweight, good looking, and after over 1000 rd without cleaning they are still easy to take apart. There is a very mild FRP, let me repeat the "very mild" part. The price and performance make them a best buy in my mind.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Bone16 wrote:
bamachem wrote:Checked with Malcolm and he has some good pricing on some in-stock Sparrows as well as some almost-in-stock Spectres. Too bad he's 6hrs away. I might just have to make a roadtrip.

6 hours of gas is still cheaper than an additional $200 stamp, unless you're driving a Maybach or a Veyron 8)
Someone has to explain the additional $200 stamp to me.

One stamp (NFA Form 4) per device transferred to individual, corporation or trust ... $200 for some items $5 for others. One 4473 per device transferred to individual, corporation or trust ... I've seen the price range from $0 to $125 but I'm sure there are people out there who will gouge you for more.

Plenty of NFA FAQs documenting the process out there, just google for "nfa faq".

You don't have to worry about how it gets to your dealer (Form 3) but I'd look for a stocking dealer that way you only have to wait for the approval of the Form 4.
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Bone16 wrote:

6hrs each way, but at 27MPG, still cheaper!
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
JasonM
Silent But Deadly

Post by JasonM »

doubloon wrote:
Bone16 wrote:

Someone has to explain the additional $200 stamp to me.

One stamp (NFA Form 4) per device transferred to individual, corporation or trust ... $200 for some items $5 for others. One 4473 per device transferred to individual, corporation or trust ... I've seen the price range from $0 to $125 but I'm sure there are people out there who will gouge you for more.

Plenty of NFA FAQs documenting the process out there, just google for "nfa faq".

You don't have to worry about how it gets to your dealer (Form 3) but I'd look for a stocking dealer that way you only have to wait for the approval of the Form 4.
As an individual, the seller would need to transfer the can to a dealer in the buyer's state. Since it's coming from an individual (not a dealer or manufacturer) this has to be on a form 4 (tax). then the dealer transfers the can to the buyer on another form 4 (tax). 2 taxes and a buttload of waiting.
Kick Ass Design
ten:pm media
www.facebook.com/VisualGravy
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

So, looks like (3) viable options at this point:

A. Silencerco SS Sparrow
B. SWR Spectre at a whopping $10 less than the SS Sparrow
C. TM Zephyr at about $150 less than the above, but has a Form 3 + Form 4 wait time and it's an AL core

Not worried about the cost differences, but just laying that out there...

Right now, leaning HEAVILY towards the SS Sparrow. Always loved that design, ease of cleanibility, and performance. 1" shorter and 2oz lighter than the Spectre with a ~3-4 dB lower sound level on the same host, and that sweet "death star" end cap. :D I wish I could compare them side-by-side to a Zephyr. Just not 100% sold on an Aluminum core and the extra wait.
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

bamachem wrote:So, looks like (3) viable options at this point:

A. Silencerco SS Sparrow
C. TM Zephyr at about $150 less than the above, but has a Form 3 + Form 4 wait time and it's an AL core

Right now, leaning HEAVILY towards the SS Sparrow. Always loved that design, ease of cleanibility, and performance. 1" shorter and 2oz lighter than the Spectre with a ~3-4 dB lower sound level on the same host, and that sweet "death star" end cap. :D I wish I could compare them side-by-side to a Zephyr. Just not 100% sold on an Aluminum core and the extra wait.
If you ever plan on shooting a 5.7x28 suppressed, you may want to go with the Spectre.
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

I shot a Specter on my 2213 and really not notice top heavy or thinking about it anyway. The end cap can come loose also if using shroud.

Can your dealer get a liberty TL? 1/2" longer but 2oz lighter. Owners report less dirt in hosts/mags. I like SS over alum, if I going alum I'd wait a month for surefire 22a @ 2.3oz! :shock: Would feel nothing on Cricket or 2213. :D Real price cheaper too.

Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Tango2249 wrote:
bamachem wrote:So, looks like (3) viable options at this point:

A. Silencerco SS Sparrow

If you ever plan on shooting a 5.7x28 suppressed, you may want to go with the Spectre.
The SS Sparrow is also rated for 5.7x28. Are you suggesting the Spectre for a performance difference in that caliber over the Sparrow?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

JasonM wrote:...

As an individual, the seller would need to transfer the can to a dealer in the buyer's state. Since it's coming from an individual (not a dealer or manufacturer) this has to be on a form 4 (tax). then the dealer transfers the can to the buyer on another form 4 (tax). 2 taxes and a buttload of waiting.
Ah ... I missed the part where the seller is an individual. :oops:

Thanks!
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Don't really plan on buying a FN Five seveN any time soon, so the 5.7 X 28 is probably not in my future, to be honest. I would sooner buy a HK USP in 40 and a Marlin Camp Rifle in 40 or 9mm and get a "big" can before I would go the 5.7 route.

Emilio: You are the FIRST person I've found that has a 2213. Awesome little gun, isn't it? It's SO easy to conceal it's scary. Nice to know the Spectre doesn't throw off the balance any. However, worrying about the endcap getting hung up inside the shroud on the SB-X does make me have to think twice about it.

I've read some really mixed reviews on the SS Sparrow on both short barrel (4") and longer barrel (16"+) hosts. It almost seems to be "hit or miss" with them - no pun intended. Love the design and function of that can, but I'm worried about the mixed reviews...

Looks like I need to really be able to demo them on my hosts to see, but that's next to impossible unless Malcolm at Silent Industries has a range... Don't think he does, though.
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

bamachem wrote:I've read some really mixed reviews on the SS Sparrow on both short barrel (4") and longer barrel (16"+) hosts. It almost seems to be "hit or miss" with them - no pun intended. Love the design and function of that can, but I'm worried about the mixed reviews...
Do share.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Yes, the 2213 is awesomeness! The Sparrow does real good on rifles with little to no FRP , I wish they would lower the FRP for pistol and make a Sparrow III, I be all over it! Great company too.

Here's a quote from Gary/Silencerco on old vs new Sparrow.
Frp on new sparrow is exactly the same as the old model ,the subsequent shots are just so much quieter on the new model, it seems louder.
Lot of choices out there! Your dealer should have some selections.
bamachem
Silent Operator

Post by bamachem »

Ok, "Mixed Reviews" below...

Good Can:
Abiqua wrote:Keep in mind that the FRP in the new SS Sparrow is about as quiet as the second and subsequent shots in the old longer Sparrow. The new Sparrow is just that much quieter after the first round.
Seems OK:
JohnInNH wrote:For some reason the VERY FIRST SHOT from your brand new SS Sparrow will be WICKED loud. never to be repeated again. I have no clue it it was the oil or what... by BANG! WOW... Then the FRP was inline with my Prodigy gen III

Maybe when it's shiny inside it does that.. I am not the only person to report that.

I tell ya.. Get a nose spray bottle an fill with H2O (1/2 way is best so it will atomize).. It will last you weeks. Only one spritz will eliminate the FRP 100%

I found it getting HOT and the heat waves causing trouble seeing my sights to be a bigger problem.

I will calm down and be quieter with some carbon fouling inside. The cool part is the il be easy to take apart! :-)

I am SOOOOO looking forward to that.. Not having to worry about it being frozen shut.

Worry free shooting.
Seems to be on par with the Spectre:
RFmissile wrote:I did not experience any abnormally high FRP the very first time I shot my SS Sparrow. Yes it had a slight first round pop compared to my SWR Spectre but it wasn't anything like others have described.

I was using CCI STD velocity OAT approx 85 deg F.
The SS Sparrow on a Ruger Mk III 22/45 (new 4" threaded barrel version) and my Spectre was on my Mk II with 6" TAC-SOL Pac-Lite upper.

On the original post video he says he is shooting Remington but shows us a Federal bulk pac box of high velocity ammo.

I have only had the one opportunity to shoot the new Sparrow the one time to compare to the Spectre.
I am extremely happy with the Spectre on all my hosts (Ruger Mk II, Mk III, 10-22 w 18" barrel, and Sig 522).

Both suppressors have their own unique desirable features. I am sure I will be happy with both.
VERY SATISFIED:
jamesrm wrote:I do not have any video yet and I will try to get some, but here is my rough review.

First, this is the first can that I have owned. I have seen several others in action over a pretty wide range of calibers.

First, the packing was nice as well as the MOLLE pouch to store it in. The pouch also works well as a on the fly glove for removing the Sparrow after it gets too hot to handle.

I have currently two hosts for it, a Ruger 22/45 factory threaded and a American 180 SMG.

I was ..very.. impressed with the reduction in noise from the can on both platforms. The Ruger was excceptionally quiet with the can. The Sparrow does have a good FRP but its just that, the first round, then it is QUIET. On the AM180, basically all I heard was the action of the weapon. I have airsoft machine guns that ran louder than it did.

I did have a bit of discoloration issue, but that is getting resolved.

I can run 10-15 rounds through before it gets too hot to handle without a glove.

All in all, I am VERY satisfied with the product and recommend it to anyone wanting a good 22/.17 can. I am getting my Ruger 77 17HMR drilled and will report my findings :)
More FRP:
lafsnguy wrote:I recently got to play with my kodiak tl at my dealers. There's a video on YouTube where we are shooting the kodiak tl, my swr Spectre, and his ss sparrow one after another. It's hard to tell on the video but the sparrow had a very noticeable frp on a pistol. On my cz 452 there was almost no frp with the sparrow. However the kodiak tl was slightly quieter than the sparrow on both the rifle and pistol. The sparrow though is incredibly easy to take apart and you really have to listen to tell which is quieter. It's all a matter of what you want.
Not-So-Good on a Buck Mark:
FB3 wrote:I posted this as a response to a question on the AAC forum, so hope a double post is not a problem. Thought this would be interesting to those looking for a rimfire can.

I demonstrated my AAC Element, new Silencer Co SS Sparrow, and Liberty Essence today to a good friend who is going to get into this hobby.

Hosts were 16" CMMG .22 upper, Ruger 22/45, Walther P99, and Browning Buckmark with TacSol barrel. Ammo was CCI standard velocity lr.

Five rounds were fired in each combination dry and wet. The frp dry on the Sparrow was very loud on all guns. The frp on the Essence was noticibly louder than subsequent shots but not as loud as the Sparrow. The frp on the Element was virtually the same as subsequent shots. Far superior to the others.

Wet, the frp on the Sparrow was much lower than dry. Subsequent shots seemed a little quieter than dry. The Essence was better wet on the first round and seemed a little quieter on the next four shots. The Element was quieter wet on the first round and the next four.

This is a subjective comparison using our ears, but to us the Element was the best performer by far. My friend is ordering an Element.
So bad, it's for sale:
FB3 wrote:bamachem,

Too bad that my almost new ss Sparrow is on a Form 4 in FL. I would give you great deal on it.
Major's Meter: http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... uger-10-22

6dB FRP?
tsands974 wrote:The MAJ just submitted a test between .22lr suppressors using CCI. Here's the summary between the two:

Silencerco Sparrow- FRP= 122.4 db Avg. db rating= 116.9

Kodiak TL- FRP= 128.2 db Avg. db rating= 122.5

-Hope this helps. (Test results from a Walther P22)
www.parabellum.us
Type 01 FFL
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Bam, Major's Liberty TL in those test where defective and those tests should have been removed. :roll:

http://www.silencerforum.com/forum/show ... -TL-Update