TAC 65

Post your experiences here.

Moderators: mpallett, mr fixit, bakerjw

edteach
Senior Silent Operator

TAC 65

Post by edteach »

Just picked up the TAC. Took it home to the garage and put about ten rounds into a bucket of sand. Was not bad at all. I also have been in contact with a company that will put in advanced guts for 150 with SS blast baffle. www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_pNjDLQc9Y
I was told that its about a week to week and a half turnaround. I may do this. It would put the sound level at the range of the high end 22s. I am not sure it will do much for me as its only a toy. We will see if its something that I want to do, but its a nice option and I do not have to wait five months for a stamp. Its done and done in a week or two.
DOGON
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Re: TAC 65

Post by Wahoo95 »

If memory serves me correct, the TAC65 sounds/test better than the TAC67. I find my TAC65 to be pretty quiet and when shot alongside better cans the biggest difference seems to be tone rather than loudness. The SS baffle rebuild is something I am considering to make cleaning less of a chore.
Go Hoos!!!!
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

That sound loud for a 22 can outdoors. :cry: I remember peoples trying to help you pick a better can for a few $$ more. Most of them sound like his in the vid when shot outside.

I find this interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO6BSJCH ... re=related

Looks dipped to me. Also would like to see "the most quiet K baffles in the world" Independent tested against the Element. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I have really enjoyed my TAC65 and my TAC16, both are good products at a decent price.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I thought it was neat and liked the SS idea. Being I just picked my first can up a few days ago and have only put about ten rounds of rem ss into a phone book in the garage and the sound was like a pellet gun going off with ten pumps I am happy. I put a bit of anti seize on the threads and will not have a problem cleaning it. The dealer made a couple of high quality color copies of the stamp for me. I made a couple more and will be putting a copy with the can and several in different places. He gave me some gemtec ss ammo and to tell the truth the rem ss was quieter. And for almost absolute quiet the CBs from CCI was very quiet. Like throwing a folded blanket on the floor. It did not cycle the gun but it was very quiet. BTW Emilio, If the rebuild makes the can I bought 8 to 10 db quieter than now, I have the option to have a can that is as quiet as what you recommended at about 125 to 150 more and with SS guts. The cans you recommended were at min. 200 more. So I would still be ahead 50 min, and I may not even do anything as the can is good for what I need it for and thats a toy. :)
DOGON
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

The phone books are loud so go shoot it outside. CCI standard vel is good clean stuff to buy. Hard to say if the $150 plus shippings will be worth it. Could be a parlor trick. :D

Glad it just a toy for you. :D
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
Speed-Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Speed-Racer »

Sent mine in last week .......I recently put 500+ rds thru it, hope it' not poor etiquette to sent one in durty :shock:

John's a good guy :)
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

...Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

...One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Speed-Racer wrote:Sent mine in last week .......I recently put 500+ rds thru it, hope it' not poor etiquette to sent one in durty :shock:

I don't think I am going to do it right now. The TAC is good enough for me. Its very quiet, and in a garage it sounded like a popcorn bag pop.
DOGON
Wahoo95
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahoo95 »

Keep in mind that it will sound louder in the garage because the little sound that is emitted will bounce off walls/floor/etc and make it sound louder. Take it out in an open air area to hear it at its best.
Go Hoos!!!!
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

It's surprising how much louder it is even shooting outside, but under an overhead covering. Once you go into a completely open area it's great :D
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

Speed-Racer wrote:Sent mine in last week .......I recently put 500+ rds thru it, hope it' not poor etiquette to sent one in durty :shock:

Let us know how it sounds compaired to the stock baffles, will ya?
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

gunguy wrote:

Let us know how it sounds compared to the stock baffles, will ya?
I second this thought. If its enough of a dif. I may do it. But it would have to be a very noticeable difference.
DOGON
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

Remember that ANY silencer, even the super quiet ones are not quiet inside a concrete floored room like a garage. Where you want to shoot a silencer to see how much noise it actually makes, go outside and shoot in an area with some reflective surfaces (trees, cars, vegetation, structures, etc...) shooting in a great big open field will make any suppressor seem quiet.

Regardless of where you shoot, however, louder silencers will always let more noise out of the suppressor and will sound much louder to your ear. We tested one of our silencers against a popular model the other evening. My friend and I went out back and each fired two shots with CCI Minimags out of a couple of Ruger pistols. The total sound his silencer let out into the evening air was way louder than the signature released by our suppressor. What this equates to is the louder silencer sounds much more like a gunshot than you really want. I refer to this noise as downrange residual noise. I have learned a new technique to measure this and have come up with some quiet interesting results. Using this new location has answered many of the questions I have had about testing silencers over the years. One of the main questions it answers is the fact that some silencers meter louder than others on a rifle and thus people say "silencer X is loud on a rifle" when indeed they are just as quiet to your ear as those that meter good.

A couple of examples are the SWR Spectre and the AAC Element. Both silencers meter quite well on a pistol and not so good on a rifle, but you never see people complaining about the sound signature being loud when those suppressors are used on a rifle.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

I felt that in the enclosed area it sounded very quiet. My wife who is very sensitive to noise felt it was very quiet. I had her go outside the garage and listen with the door shut and she said it sounded like a broom handle hitting the floor and did not sound like a gun shot going off just inside. This is good enough for me and I do not really want to shoot outside. I live for now in a sub with homes behind and to each side. For safety I will let it slide. In my garage into a bucket of sand with a 22 is very safe. I will not take the chance of some bouncing and hitting a neighbors home or worse. :wink:
DOGON
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

So compared to factory how much better did it sound, if any?
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

gunguy wrote:So compared to factory how much better did it sound, if any?
If you mean me, I guess I have been unclear. I was talking about the factory. I was thinking of having my guts changed but have not, and was just saying that the factory is really quiet enough for me and that I may just keep it as is. I would like to hear from others how have had it done and what they think. :mrgreen:
DOGON
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

edteach wrote:
gunguy wrote:So compared to factory how much better did it sound, if any?
If you mean me, I guess I have been unclear. I was talking about the factory. I was thinking of having my guts changed but have not, and was just saying that the factory is really quiet enough for me and that I may just keep it as is. I would like to hear from others how have had it done and what they think. :mrgreen:
Yes I was talking about the re-cored version, I thought thats what you were talking about, my mistake.
edteach
Senior Silent Operator

Post by edteach »

Just got back from the range and ran about 200 rounds through the TAC. First off it was very quiet.The bullets hitting the back plates were much more loud than the gun. Even full loads were not bad. For the price I paid 189 it was a bargain. Next the hoopla about how they lock up to take apart when you try to clean them was non existent for me. I pre put on anti seize and after it was shot I did not even have to loosen up the cap as it started to come off when I removed the can from the gun. Once I got it home I took it apart and soaked it in WD and then SS wire brushed it and it came very clean. I brushed the tube and re assembled it and its good to go. I also added a bit of A.S. to the threads and back in the flashlight case I bought to hold it. I think the Aluminum baffs will outlast me. Also I think that a walnut media and tumbler would do good for a once a year or two cleaning. For those thinking of buying one I can recommend it as a great entry level can and if you want it quieter by up to ten db you can check out the rebuild avil. for 150 with SS BB.
DOGON
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I dont know how many thousands of rounds have beed through my TAC65 and it sounds and looks great.
Speed-Racer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Speed-Racer »

gunguy wrote:

Let us know how it sounds compaired to the stock baffles, will ya?
Still waiting..... Sent it Oct.11 said it would be 2 weeks or less :roll: , sent 'em an email John sez they are redoing the caps :D . Going on five weeks :D
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:

...Jesus Christ and the American G. I.

...One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.
John Titsworth
Silent But Deadly

Post by John Titsworth »

It will go out this week :D